Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 AM   #1  

Default Lost 20 Lbs. in 75 Days.Need advice!

Hello,

I just found these forums and this place is great!

I am a vegetarian college student going into my fourth year. I was fat when I was around 10-12 yrs. old. I lost most of the weight once puberty hit, but have always had a belly. The past three years of fast food, drinking, and bad eating habits didn't help my belly either.

Therefore, this summer I decided to start to make a lifestyle change. It's been pretty easy this summer because I live at home where I can easily cook veggie meats and other healthy dishes (gonna be a lot tougher when I go back to college in the Fall).

So around May 15th, I weighed 145lbs. I now weigh 125lbs. (These are my morning weights). I am 5' 10".

I have always been told that I'm "too skinny" by others mainly because I have very skinny arms/legs, but I know that I have a layer of fat over my abs to work off. Others, still tell me that I should be bulking up and not cutting down.

Anyway, here are a few photos of me on May 15th and now (You'll need to paste the urls into a new window since I'm a new user):

May 15th:
i25.tinypic.com/35dbv5t.jpg
i28.tinypic.com/2056u4k.jpg

Now:
i32.tinypic.com/2yozf9f.jpg
i28.tinypic.com/312cjfp.jpg
i25.tinypic.com/2j18sx3.jpg (This pic shows that I still have some fat over my abs when sitting down that you can clearly see!)

I have a cheap, electronic scale from eBay that said when I began my body fat % was 17%, and now it's 7.3%. However, I don't think it's very accurate.

I wanted to get some opinions on what I should do? Should I be cutting or bulking?

I personally think I should be cutting more because I want to see my abs, get rid of love handles completely, and possibly get the "V" in my midsection. How many more lbs. do you think I need to cut to achieve this? I'm thinking about 7-10lbs? Will that make me "too skinny?"

Obviously the overall goal is to bulk up, but I think cutting first? Opinions?

Oh, and for those curious, the workout regimen I did was basically:

-Day 1 - 1 Hr Elliptical @ 97RPM (machine says 900 cal burned), 30 min. HIIT Training on Treadmill (Cycle between 3.5MPH & 11MPH)
-Day 2 - 45 Min. Weight Lifting, 45 Min. Elliptical, 25 min. HIIT Training on Treadmill

(Then repeat Day 1 and Day 2...over and over..so far I've done 75 days)
GujuGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 AM   #2  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

I looked at your pictures, and do not see a layer of fat anywhere, I'm not sure where you're seeing it! However, I also don't see much muscle, which is where you're going to get the "V" and see your abs...I'd suggest weight training -- you'll put on some muscle weight (which I think in your case would be good, according to the height weight charts I viewed, you are below suggested weights for even a small framed man at 5'10").
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 142/121/110

Height: 5'4''

first of all, i am very impressed with your workouts!
For a 5'10'' male, you are at a very low weight. At the same time, i see what you mean by wanting more defined abs. My suggestion to you, since you are obviously willing to work out a lot, would be to focus most of your efforts on lifting weights and core training now and eating a lot of protein. Maybe spend a month trying to maintain and "convert" some of the very very little remaining fat to muscle and reassess then.
hope junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #4  

hi there...my opinion I think you need to start lifting hard to start building muscle and cut down on the cardio - everyday HITT & elliptical is a lot. I reckon you should do hitt every other day and step away the elliptical.

Check out the exercise forum and there's some good info in there. Also if you can afford it perhaps a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to get a weights program or much cheaper option get a hold of Body for Life book it has a very easy to follow weight lifting program. But, definitely cut down on cardio and lift heavy - (if you're already lifting heavy the amount of cardio could be eating your muscle, don't quote me on that though). Good luck, I'm sure other members will give you some good advice
debs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I agree with what others have said -- especially as a young man, the way to remake your body is through weight-lifting! The cardio is great because it's good for your body, but the definition you are looking for is going to come through weights.

For muscles, you need protein. You mention you are a vegetarian. Are you sure you're getting enough protein? How well have you educated yourself about proper nutrition on a vegetarian diet?

Does your university offer a weight-lifting class or classes in nutrition? I think you could benefit from both.

I wouldn't really trust the fat measurement on that scale. I can't imagine you have that much fat.

As a comparison, my husband is 5'11.5" and weighs around 160. He is something like 3% body fat. When he follows a lifting program, he can put on up to 20 lbs of muscles and he is ripped and fabulous -- with great abs! But it requires putting on weight in the form of muscle!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for your advice! I truly appreciate it.

I will definitely begin to lift heavier weights and cut down on the cardio. However, since I'm going back to college in a month...I will keep up some cardio and first get used to attempting to eat as healthy as possible in the very unhealthy environment of college. This way, I hope I don't put back on the fat that I have worked so hard to lose.

I will definitely check out Body for Life as well.

Furthermore, yes, I am vegetarian and try very hard to get protein from soy meats, protein shakes, protein bars, nuts, but I do have difficulty getting protein from "actual" foods other than fake meats.

Yes, I am sure that my diet these past 80 days has prevented me from putting on muscle because I have only been eating around 1400-1700 calories a day. I will soon switch to "build" mode and be eating A LOT more!
GujuGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

HI there. i would not try lifting at all, until you find a really good protein source. Being a vegetarian--i know they have soy protein powder. Really find a good one that tastes good to you and use it as a pre and post workout meal. Then also supplement your meals with a few as well.

you should be able to put on some muscle weight with a good program and a good muscle supplement.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

well... you are VERY low on the weight scale for a guy your age!!! and height!

Possibly the answer is to look into weight lifting, "muscle milk", protein shakes..just more protein.. definitely cut back a bit on the cardio.

Basically i agree with everything "the last 7 lbs" said!

BUT to be honest, i'm kinda worried for/about you. Being that low of a weight at your height and age seems scary to me. I know guys that are the same but it is health related (they eat and eat, but cannot keep weight. They try and keep weight on.)

Last edited by luciddepths; 07-31-2010 at 07:37 PM.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Please do some research and find out how to get as much protein as possible from real food, not just bars and supplements. Do you eat fish?
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote