South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #1  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Default Should I do SBD?

Hi ladies! i hope it is okay that I posted here.

I am looking to start the South Beach diet. I have had a few friends and some 3FC friends also who have done it and had tremendous success--only to gain it all back. I really would like to do this and have researched it for quite a long time.

Is there any incite that you ladies could give me as to the potential success and long term maintenance? If so, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance.
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #2  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I honestly think what I heard on here is true...once you get to maintaince its the hardest part...and I really believe that! Any diet will work really if you stick to it, and maintain after.
I love SB...I feel so much more energized. My skin starts to look better...I have had tremendous success on the diet so far.
If you do the diet as its written you WILL have success. This board is great for anything that you don't understand or need some clarification on.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

I would suggest reading the book before making your decision. I love SBD! I was looking for a plan which emphasized eating healthy whole foods. I wanted to lower my cholesterol and blood pressure. I also wanted a plan which fit into my lifestyle. After over a year, I still enjoy this WOE. I feel great and I'm off BP meds and have lowered my cholesterol.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #4  
Ready for baby #2

S/C/G: 245/238.8/140

Height: 5/3

One thing that really helps me is to look at South Beach not as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. I know this is going to be how I eat for the rest of my life. I have been on south beach for 5 days now and I feel amazing. before starting my stomach always felt bloated and I was always tired. already in 5 days that has disappeared. Good Luck on whatever you decide :-)
Jessiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I highly recommend the diet to anyone who asks. I have been on it since Mid-April and I'm loving the way I feel!!! I don't have that "heavy" feeling you get from eating all those fried and processed foods and I can tell a big difference in the way I feel. And it's funny that PinkHoodie mentioned it b/c I just began noticing this last week that my skin seems to feel a lot smoother lately.

Any diet runs the risk of "gaining it all back" if you look at it solely as a "diet" and not a lifestyle change. Even after I reach my goal weight, I know that if I were to go back to eating lots of processed foods w/ white flour and lots of sugar, I'll be back in the same boat I started out in. That's enough motivation to keep me eating this way for life!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

It's been 3 years. 1 year to lose all the weight and 2 years of "maintaining"...
It's been a snap. I'm just not who I used to be. And I'm happy with the new me.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 311/292/170

Height: 5'6

The BEST thing I did was read Dr. Agatson's book. I have seen several at thrift stores for 99 cents. Knowing exactly why I needed to eat a certain way has helped immensely. I do not usually read diet books, I rely on blogs and articles to tell me what I need to know. The book teaches you how to eat, it doesn't just give you a food list. It really is important to have all the information.
AmberOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #8  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

hey shelly!! I highly recommend this if you want a life style change. The lack of processed foods is hardest to start with, but what everyone is say is true. You will feel better, but as I have learned you can not back slide, or eat the way you use to, cuz just like with WW or IP or Atkins the weight will come right back. Maintenance is inevitable, I say you should read the book and research other diets you feel may work, it wont take as long as you think. It boils down to finding a plan, sticking to it and then working for the rest of your life to keep it off. ( I say this as if I know... but it makes sense in my head) XOXO girly.
Sarah
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Been on SB for 2 1/2 years, maintenance the last 2 years. It has to be a way of life for it to work. That's the hardest part of this or any other diet plan. But I've never looked or felt better and feel I'm at optimum health for someone in my 50's. I have no problem maintaining as long as I stay true to the SB plan. I am so happy that I found out about SB. Reading the book is extremely important.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #10  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Ok, so I have decided to do South Beach. I am putting together my grocery list now. I've cleaned out my fridge of temptation for the next 2 weeks.

Any advice on what to pick up that would be most useful? Also, I haven't seen much in the book about milk. I really only use it in my coffee and cereal. Since I can't have cereal for a while I'm not sure if it would be worth having...?
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellydeFlores View Post
Any advice on what to pick up that would be most useful? Also, I haven't seen much in the book about milk. I really only use it in my coffee and cereal. Since I can't have cereal for a while I'm not sure if it would be worth having...?
I don't drink milk per se, but I do have an occasional skinny latte made with skim milk and I enjoy Greek style yogurt. I also eat 2 servings of low fat cheese daily.

I would just print out the Food lists for Phase I listed in this section of the forum and take that shopping with me. It pretty much tells it all.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #12  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I agree- check out the FAQ section for the P1 foods list.... there is also one for P2!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote