South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Calorie Counting + SBD?

Who is doing this combination? I really don't want to do calorie counting, because I get really obsessive about it. But sometimes I wonder if I am over eating. I don't really measure out servings, but I don't think I am eating huge portions either. They are about 1/4 the size they used to be! Just curious about any thoughts on this.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

If you think you may be eating too much, do count calories for a while. It will help you recognize serving sizes.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I added calorie counting and measuring about two months into losing and still use it. I definitely have portion issues so it's really helpful for me. I probably am a little obsessive but eating too much on a regular wasn't exactly healthy either. I know lots of Chicks don't need a back-up to just making good, healthy South Beach choices. Unfortunately I'm not one of them so this works for me.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/190/130

Height: 4' 11"

I didn't start losing weight really until I started calorie counting, bc you'll be surprised at the calories in some things!

I used to put 6 creamers in my coffee, and that's 100 cals! Along with 100 cals from the coffee. I also realized how bad certain dressings could be. It's also helping me learn portion control, which has been a struggle for me my whole life.
Shortymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I am freakin' neurotic about this. I probably overthink it much like everything else in my life. I do Weight Watchers for the points and SB for the food choices and every once in awhile, I'll count calories for a few weeks just to make sure I'm on track with that. It's exhausting, but its working. I find if I don't think about it a lot, I kind of lose track.

Like everyone else, couting calories and measuring really helps me learn about portion sizes. I'm to a point now where I cna mentally gauge a serving size, but I still measure every so often because apparently that mental image gets larger after a bit
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #6  

A serving is a specific amount of food defined by common measurements, such as cups or tablespoons.
A portion is the amount of food you put on your plate.

You'll be surprised at just how small a serving is, and how many calories are in the portion you eat.

Measure and count calories for everything you eat, just for awhile.
You'll see what a difference it can make in your portion control, and ultimately in your weight loss.
Sherrie568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #7  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

Thanks, you all are very helpful. I don't measure veggies, and I don't think I ever willd. I let myself have lots of those with every meal. I always measure out 2 TBS of dressing when I have a salad. But I just think with some stuff, like this beef stew I made (SBD friendly) I just have a hard time even telling from the recipe how many servings are in it. So I just try to gage around 1 to 1.5 cups of it, but I know I am probably way off.
I think I will start measuring. We are having fish tomorrow...how do I tell how much of that to eat? I don't have a scale....and I can't get one at the momement...
Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I've always heard that a 4 oz portion of fish is about the size of a playing card. Does anyone remember how thick?

I don't measure my non-starchy veggies though I do count them, I just estimate. I am also a fiber fiend so I usually aim for twice the US RDA.

I like FItDay and have the computer version. At this point it has almost three years of the foods we eat regularly, including standard recipes. I'm not fanatical about it. If I modify a recipe a little but not in ways that will really change the calories I just go with the recipe I have (for example my white bean soup and chili both include whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Since none of those are starchy veggies I just leave my original formula and use that).
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #9  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

Cyndi your weight loss is just inspiring. I want to have that much success so badly!!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #10  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

I'm counting calories and fallowing South Beach, I have been rather successful. I have yet to move totally into phase two, but am easing in. I started on this plan 7-20 of this year and my weight at that time was 275, I am now down to 253 five weeks in. And just for the record I have a very active job that helps me burn a ton of calories. That plus trying here and there to add exercise has pushed this along.

I think calorie counting is great no matter what your eating.

Last edited by SarahD140; 07-29-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote