Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #1  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

Talking Trader Joe's Favorite Picks!

Hey everyone not sure if this was done yet but I love Trader Joe's I was wondering do any of you shop there and if so what are some of your best favorite finds for weight loss! Here are some of mine:

This has to be the best condiment ever for me! Goes great on everything really but it can also double as a salad dressing I put a little bit of trader joes ranch and just a spoon full of this and mix it up and it really adds to the flavor!

http://glutenfreeislife.files.wordpr...pg?w=467&h=319

nutritional info

http://glutenfreeislife.files.wordpr...pg?w=470&h=344

I love Ak Mak crackers they are great with some low fat cream cheese deli meat and lettuce and even can use some of the red pepper spread also or purple onion. Whatever you like a serving size is 5 crackers but you really only need 2 to make a great crunchy sandwich substitute, try egg salad and alfalfa sprouts also yum, or some chicken salad on top possibilities are endless

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zztJlWAZWv...320/ak-mak.jpg

This garlic mustard is really good on sandwiches it is very strongly flavored of garlic though and just a strong taste overall I wasn't impressed enough to repurchase this until I tried it in some chicken salad adding a small spoonful to the recipe made the best chicken salad I ever had lol. Have yet to try it in egg salad but something tells me it will be good too.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lYmS7zYrcb...0/DSC02221.JPG

I'll add more as I think of them and if you guys like this thread
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255.8/193.2/Unknown

Height: 5' 2"

there are a few things i get at TJs.

the Better N' Butter Peanut Butter (lower sodium). (2 Tbsps for 2 points on ww!) Delish! I will not eat any other pb now!

Pineapple salsa. Great on chips or obaked with chicken.

Various types of hummus!

those are the main staples.
sawyouwearingflares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #3  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyouwearingflares View Post
there are a few things i get at TJs.

the Better N' Butter Peanut Butter (lower sodium). (2 Tbsps for 2 points on ww!) Delish! I will not eat any other pb now!

Pineapple salsa. Great on chips or obaked with chicken.

Various types of hummus!

those are the main staples.
I almost purchased that peanut butter yesturday heard it was good still have yet to try it. I had the pineapple salsa it is really yummy I liked it too. I like the hummus but it goes bad too fast for me may need to learn how to make my own.

Thanks for your picks!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #4  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
That garlic aioli mustard is really good. I looove their rosemary marcona almonds (omggg). I have a bunch of TJ's frozen chicken breasts. Ohhh and I looove the frying cheese.

I haven't gone in a while since I quit my job that was near it 3 months ago :-/
Oh wow those almonds sound good thanks for your picks. I never heard of the frying cheese will have to check it out. Sorry to hear about your job
Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #5  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Oh great I just bought the mayo yesturday was going to try it to make chicken and egg salad because I was using light miracle whip and didn't want the sugar or hydrogenated crap in it so good I hope I like it! I don't usually like mayo in general but I'd rather have that then sugar.

I got a can of the coconut milk the first time I went there but haven't tried it yet will have to give it a taste

I got the sesame and cinnamon raisin ezekiel bread also do any of you know of a good substitute for butter I might want to try it on the cinnamon raisin bread or any other healthier alternatives to put on that one.

Also thought I would add I love these veggie and flaxseed tortilla chips

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5N64iu7HEe...ggie-chips.jpg

usually chips and pizza are my downfall but I don't know what it is about those specific ones I can just eat a couple with some salsa and be done. And it totally cures my cravings for other bad chips. And makes me feel satisfied for hours after probably the flax seed and fiber. I have a great salsa recipe I will post soon its really low salt and so good! Sometimes I have some of that salsa I made with a little hummus on those so good.

Me also not sure if everyone can have all this stuff on your diets just some good ideas for people thanks for your picks! They are great!

Last edited by going2bskinny; 07-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Oh I love this thread! I can inhale that garlic mustard. No joke. I eat it with just rolled lettuce leaves, as a snack sometimes....it is so good
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Oh I forgot to share my staples!!

UNCURED TURKEY BACON
Applewood-smoked
No Nitrites or Nitrates added
Not Preserved
Below 40% Fat all times
30 cals per slice
(and not even that high in salt! <3)

Trader Joes Non Fat Plain Frozen Yogurt (don't let the word 'Plain' fool you, it is GOOOOOD. Damn Good.) about 1/2 cup 110 calories per serving.
http://theskinnyplate.files.wordpres...pg?w=225&h=300

In addition to garlic aioli, I also buy their brand of whole grain mustard because it is so much more cost effective ($1.99) than the Classic Maille brand. (and time effective b/c i'm not about to start making my own whole grain mustard!)

My new test product.... that I tried recently - is their canned roast beef $2.49... I've never seen that (just beef) in my local area supermarkets...usually they have Dinty Moore with potatoes, spam, and other creepy things tossed in but I can't eat any of that on my regimen (high protien complex carb) and honestly those things r not the most appetizing anyway. So.... for ez fast meals I say thumbs up to their canned roast beef. It's not filler/processed meat or anything, just pure beef cubes packed in water. Low in salt too. Love it, add it to your own stew, chili or soup..

Ive been curious to try other things, but for now until I reach my goal I'm super happy with my faves! Can't wait to try those nuts one day!

Last edited by chouchoubou; 07-28-2010 at 12:32 AM.
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Trader Joe's Mango And Cream Bar - only 60 calories per bar. They are so good!
Zen bakery fiber cake - 13 gm of fiber in each little muffin.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

The egg white salad is great. I can't remember the calories but really low. they have regular and spicy.
Alma4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #10  
it's always something

Looks like the nearest location is 115 miles away. But you guys are making it sound worth the trip
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Actually, I live fairly close to one and I rarely shop there. Suzanne, I think your Green Life is much better (although I heard Whole Foods bought them out!)

I buy a couple things occasionally from Trader Joe's
Sprouted grain bread
Raw almond butter
Fair trade dark chocolate bars
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 226/207/190 (mini goal #1)

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyliving View Post
Trader Joe's Mango And Cream Bar - only 60 calories per bar. They are so good!
Zen bakery fiber cake - 13 gm of fiber in each little muffin.
The Raspberry and Cream Bar is really good too! I also like:

Marinated Mahi Mahi
Sliced ham and herbed turkey breast
Freeze dried blueberries & strawberries
Dried apricots that are sulfur dioxide free
Yellowfin tuna* (canned) & Pink Salmon
Stone Ground Mustard (great on ham)
Chicken Breast Multi-pack
Frozen fruit (mango & pineapple)

*I love tuna salad. I stopped buying Bumble Bee because their tuna looks shredded instead of chunked now. It's horrible. TJ's tuna is yummy.

Heirloom tomatoes mix. Basically I love all of their produce. I tasted the best peaches in a long time at TJ's. You get them from the supermarket and they are either watery and tasteless, powdery or rotten around the pit core. I pretty much buy all my produce from Trader Joes now.

There's a lot of frozen stuff I like but my favorites are:

a quinoa vegetable mix and a green veggie mix that has peas, green beans, romanesco, broccoli and cauliflower in a garlic butter sauce. It's only 70 calories a serving.

I really missed having bread a couple of months ago so I couldn't resist their french country loaf. To keep myself good and honest, I took it home and stuck it in the freezer (I LOVE french bread!) I take out one slice at a time on Sunday if I'm not having the WS Hotcakes or a shake and toast it. Lovely and crusty with some butter spread or virgin olive oil and a cup of tea. Add it to my carb allotment and I don't feel deprived (I allow myself 90g of carb MAX. a day.) This time around I bought the Ezekiel 4:9 bread in cinnamon raisin. Their bread is made with a lot of sprouted grains and no processed white flour. Yummy stuff.

I can spend hours in Trader Joes.

Last edited by glassbutterfly; 07-28-2010 at 01:46 PM.
glassbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbutterfly View Post
Heirloom tomatoes mix. Basically I love all of their produce. I tasted the best peaches in a long time at TJ's. You get them from the supermarket and they are either watery and tasteless, powdery or rotten around the pit core. I pretty much buy all my produce from Trader Joes now.
Which is strange because I generally tell people to not buy produce at Trader Joe's because it is crap. I've been burned too many times with their crappy produce.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #14  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Which is strange because I generally tell people to not buy produce at Trader Joe's because it is crap. I've been burned too many times with their crappy produce.
:O really I love their produce too it does go bad a lot faster though because it doesn't have all the chemicals in it to keep it fresh so you have to eat it faster but I love the quality.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #15  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Those are great picks everybody keep em coming I live pretty far away from Trader Joe's as well so its really hard for me to get up there so I try to stock up each time helps to know what's good there so I know what to buy. Already see a few I wish I would have known about on Monday lol

That turkey bacon sounds so good I have been buying the stuff at walmart and its so salty and I just know its pretty crappy quality I have to get alot of my produce at walmart or cub also wish I lived closer to a trader joes I'd shop there for everything.