General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #1  

Default Crash diet ruined metabolism

I was eating a very low amount of calories for many months. As soon as I stopped that diet I ate normal and gained all the weight I lost back and more. I used to have a good metabolism, but that its gone.

I have been lifting weights since December, before that crash diet.
I eat a healthy diet of whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
I believe I'm accurately counting my calories.
I exercise daily.

I have tried many things to lose and keep off 5-10 pounds since the crash diet with diets that speed up the metabolism. Here is what usually happens:

I go on the rotation diet where I eat 600 calories for 3 days, 900 for 4, 1200 for a week and then repeat. I lose four pounds during the 600-900, but as soon as I start the 1200 I gain all the weight back! What?! That isn't supposed to happen!

I've tried increasing exercise, decreasing carbs, green tea.

I'm 5' and right now 98.5lb, yesterday it was 97 and I gained weight because yesterday was my first day doing the 1200. I am also 20 years old and female.

The reason this whole weight issue started was because I lost my job in October and gained some weight that I didn't like from not being on my feet all day. I'm hoping that as soon as I get a job I will go back to my usual weight of 90.

Thank you!
valgal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5'7"

Just according to the BMI index at 5' your normal weight is between 90 and 134, since you're already at the low end of the scale maybe your body is just trying to tell you it's happy where it is?
nicollem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OK, you did NOT gain 1.5 lbs OF FAT from eating 1200 calories. It is physically impossible

It sounds like those 4 pounds you are "losing" and "gaining" are primarily water. Reacting to that is merely making the cycle worse.

If you DID lower your metabolism, continuing to hit the 600 calorie level isnt going to help it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Are you sure your body wants to lose weight? You're eating an incredibly low amount of calories, so I hope that if you increase your exercise you will rethink your calorie level. Your body needs fuel just to live, so exercising on such a small amount of fuel could be unhealthy and even dangerous. Everyone has different goals, of course, and I respect that, but I just want to recommend more calories particularly if you are exercising.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice everyone! I just want to be the weight I was when I had a job. I do see a counselor for my obsessions and things. I do know that the weight I'm losing and gaining is water. I still don't like it. I'm a size one, I want to be a zero like before. I know HOW CRAZY THIS SOUNDS. I feel like my family will judge me if I'm not a 0, however I know that this is not true at all. If I had it my way I would way 70lb, but its not healthy so... Anyway, thank you, I'm currently working on my wrong way of thinking and beliefs. Good luck to you all at reaching your goals.
valgal123 is offline   Reply With Quote