Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default Thank you, rockinrobin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After being here on this forum for about a year and a half, reading post after post, making post after post and always walking away confused something has finally clicked for me and I have you to thank for it! So many times I see your posts on how you eat a ton of veggies so you get more bang for your buck calorie-wise and I never really "got it". Oh, I thought I did but I didn't, not until 2 weeks ago! I finally decided to get serious and clean up my diet. I have added a ton of veggies and the best part is, I get to eat more food but take in less calories and I am loving it. During this "maintenance" period, I hovered between 171-177 and even 2 weeks ago, I saw 181 . Today, I decided to weigh, something I rarely do, and I am at 174 so a 7 pound difference in 2 weeks. I have had off days, for sure, at least one each week but the best thing for me is 6/7 days, I am eating a lot of food and staying under 1500 calories which is awesome for me. Thank you for your posts, your determination, your advice and your inspiration. From the bottom of my heart, I will never be able to thank you enough for making me see the light
Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm so used to facebook that I was looking for the "like" button for this post!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

LOL! Tanee, big big thanks to you too. Anytime I feel like I can't reach goal, I check out your pics and you are so friggin amazing and I love ya!!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm reading everything from RR I can get my hands on right now as I am struggling big big time. What she says is true!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

Yes, Tammy! I am so much happier and satisfied when I am able to eat a lot of food and with veggies, I can do that! I don't eat just veggies but I have made them the bulk of my daily foods and I am absolutely loving it!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
I'm so used to facebook that I was looking for the "like" button for this post!!!
I do that all the time!

Ok veggie lovers! What exactly does "lots of veggies" look like? I tend to like mine cooked. I need some other ideas. (cooked and raw)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #7  
If I can; YOU Can!

S/C/G: 292/Ticker/175 height: 5'9

Height: 5'9

Yes, yes, I like this post too!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #8  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Rockinrobin, have you ever posted your success story? I'd love to read it sometime.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You are so very welcome!!!

I didn't shun the sugar/flour/fatty foods and turn to veggies because all of a sudden I wanted to become this *holier than thou* clean eater. Nope. I came about it in a backwards sort of a way.

I knew after, years, decades of struggling with binge eating/super morbid obesity, that I could not be that slim, trim, active person that I always longed to be if I kept the sugar/white/fatty foods in my menu. Though I couldn't imagine life without it, I no longer could picture me going on the way that I was either- I would either be dead or home bound - and that was a life I couldn't imagine either. Soooo, I knew, finally that those foods had to go. I could not stop with just a moderate amount of those foods - my solution - don't start. Problem solved 165 lbs shed and kept off (mostly) for 3+ years.

Okay. So I got rid of the sugar/white stuff/fatty stuff - now what? What could I possibly eat and lots of it (I like/need/want volume) that would free me up to have the life that I dreamed of and the answer was ta da - veggies, veggies and more veggies - sauteed, grilled, roasted, raw, in salads - ones that I'd never even knew the names of, ways that I never prepared before, and for entire meals and snacks.

Great going Onederchic. I'm so happy, excited and thrilled for you. I am GREATLY looking forward to hearing of your continued progress.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

I am so happy!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I do that all the time!

Ok veggie lovers! What exactly does "lots of veggies" look like? I tend to like mine cooked. I need some other ideas. (cooked and raw)

I eat my veggies in like 300-400 grams a serving which is A LOT (to me ). And like, for example, 300 grams of cauliflower has only 75 calories which is awesome to me
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

Oh and I roast a lot of my veggies, thanks to rockinrobin's tips
Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #13  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

All I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto ...

Actually, Robin, Mandalinn, and Glory all got me onto the veggies big time -- so I took a closer look at the theory behind "Volumetrics" and am lov'in it too! I looked up what veggies had the least calories and carbs; then started eating them regularly; plus I found ways (low-cal ways) to make them taste yummy too.

First, I tried the huge pan of roasted veggies, then I progressed to Glory's idea of the huge salads. Now I eat them a bit smaller, but I eat them every day (1-2 a day); maybe a mixed slaw for lunch and a romaine for dinner. Plus I am experimenting with NEW veggies all the time and even my DH is eating veggies for the first time in his life.

To this, I added homemade veggie soups, and low-cal fruit, like berries. Then I took Mandalinn's idea of the wg pitas and the ww english muffin (or WW sandwich thins) for my own version of egg-muffin.

Slowly, over time, I have switched to the whole grain foods and cut down my portions hugely. It took some time, but I have finally banished the junkies out this year, and the scale is moving down again.

Like Robin, I realized that there are just some foods that are not good for me to eat (you know, the sweet & salty munchies, etc). Not only did they send my blood sugar levels up, but stopped the weightloss too. Now my blood sugar levels are back to normal and I am off the meds.

I read everything ROBIN posts; plus what the other successful people write as well -- soo ... many thanks, indeedy!!!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-26-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #14  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Oh what and how to cook them -- I started off with a huge pan of roasted veggies with herbs & spices; now, every week I roast some lean meat and surround it with a mix of veggies like onions, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, green & yellow beans, sweet potatoes, zucchini or winter squash, turnip (summer & winter), parsnips, etc. So with the herbs and the broth, they really taste great.

Sometimes, I go the Asian route -- onions, celery, broccoli, carrots, peppers, water chesnuts, beans, mushrooms, etc. I change it up each time I do it based on what I have on hand. French herb mix includes thyme, parsley, lots of onions, garlic, celery, black pepper, etc.

For raw and salads -- cabbage and broccoli slaws: red & green cabbage, carrot strings, broccoli strings and rosettes; same for cauliflower; sugar pea pods, green onions and/or red onion slices or other; radishes; etc. Leaf, head, or romaine or mixed lettuces plus tomatoes; regular and baby cukes; spring onions; carrot strings, celery, etc. Sometimes, I even mixed the cabbage and lettuce ones together for a change; great every way.

I love baby carrots and baby cukes (esp), and eat them raw; and add the carrots to my roasted veggies too. Sometimes I steam them in the summer, but roast them on cooler days/times.

Plus I sometimes do the stir-fry thing (like tonight) using sliced onions, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, knib or baby corn, etc -- to have with lean steak or chicken.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-26-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #15  
Resident Pixie

Thanks for all the tips, Rosebud
Closed Thread