Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/135

Height: 5'1"

Default help me spruce up my boring salad

I love salad. But I was wondering if anyone had any healthy salad recipes or tips to not make salad the same everytime.
SheGos91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #2  

Head on over to my new post "The Salad Thread" in the "Food talk and fabulous finds" section. I'm having exactly the same problem as you re. lack of salad inspiration and there have been a couple of great ideas with pictures posted there already.
I'm hoping there will be more posted as I really need to get more creative with my lunch time salads
PapayaMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Tonight I had salad leaves with squares of avocado and feta cheese, and some cherry tomatoes. I like bitter lettuces and they worked really well with the smooth avocado and the salty cheese.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Do you ever put a few pineapple bits in your salad? This makes it okay not to have salad dressing.
charmtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #5  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

I use goldens and cherries (golden raisins and dried cherries) just a little adds a nice sweet touch! Like to add walnuts or pecans too. Just have to measure and count to make sure you add those in moderation! Enjoy!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

I love pecans, feta cheese, red onion, peppercini's and green olives with a vinagerette.
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #7  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I LOVE this baked feta and walnut salad I found! I use way less oil than they call for.

Also, I love salads with beets and pine nuts and/or goat cheese. Here is one recipe for roasted beet salad with pine nuts. And another with goat cheese as well.

I also like combinations with fruit - watermelon & feta, spinach salad with strawberries, orange/sweet onion with dark greens, etc.

Good luck getting out of the salad rut!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #8  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I put craisens and roasted chicken on my salad instead of dressing. I just discovered "goldens and cherries" and may well swap them out for craisens sometimes. They are yummy!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I posted an awesome recipe in the Cucumber thread in "Food Talk and Fabulous Finds" section for a great Cucumber & Watermelon salad.... so refreshing!
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #10  
it's always something

My new favorite salad ingredient is smoked olive oil. I love a good Mediterranean style salad with greens, roasted red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and sometimes a few olives. I toss with good balsamic vinegar, and now I love to add a little drizzle of the smoked olive oil. It adds a fabulous finish! I also sometimes use a fresh tomato vinaigrette instead of the balsamic, and again add the little drizzle of smoked oil.

www.thesmokedolive.com
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #11  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
My new favorite salad ingredient is smoked olive oil. I love a good Mediterranean style salad with greens, roasted red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and sometimes a few olives. I toss with good balsamic vinegar, and now I love to add a little drizzle of the smoked olive oil. It adds a fabulous finish! I also sometimes use a fresh tomato vinaigrette instead of the balsamic, and again add the little drizzle of smoked oil.

www.thesmokedolive.com
wow that sounds so good thanks for sharing have to get me some of that
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

My standard simple salad is just greens with walnuts and goat cheese and maybe I'm weird, but it's tasty enough for me that I don't have to use any dressing. I'll also add grapes, berries, or some other fruit if it's convenient too.
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #13  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Almost any leftovers, served up cold, taste great in a salad.
Cooked veggies, served cold: asparagus, green beans, peas, mushrooms, broccoli, zuchinni, yellow squash, onions, whatever you like. Cook extras to have leftovers.

Legumes: kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas (garbanzos), white beans.

Grains: brown rice, barley, whole wheat pasta.

For protein add planned over grilled chicken, lean pork, lean steak, (hot or cold). Or reheated taco meat (made from lean ground beef and/or ground beef that was boiled to remove the fat, then seasoned). Or low fat cottage cheese or hard boiled eggs.

Have several typical raw salad vegetables on hand, but put a different combination on your salad each day (carrots, celery, red/green/yellow/orange peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, onions, sprouts, radishes, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber). Maybe pick 4-5 to add instead of the same combination each day.

Vary the lettuces you use. Substitute cabbage for part or all of the lettuce. Use spinach.

Put a small amount of an intensely flavored treat in your salad: nuts, seeds, blue cheese, feta, beets, olives, pepperoncinis, jalapenos, capers.

Vary your dressing.

In warmer weather (most of the year here in Florida), I make my lunch by packing up the night before's leftovers. Even if I add no lettuce, I may treat the leftover vegetables and meat as a salad by chopping it into bite size pieces and eating it cold with a little dressing.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #14  

A big pile of spinach, topped with lots of halved grape tomatoes and those little mini bocconcini balls (I slice each mini ball into about 3 pieces to spread the joy), some chopped basil, and homemade vinaigrette. It's amazing!! All the deliciousness of a fresh caprese salad, but with all the added nutrition and BULK from the spinach. So tasty - I've had it for lunch every day this week and I'm still not tired of it!
SueSays is offline   Reply With Quote