Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Home Made "Microwave Meals"

I honest to goodness cant stand to prepare every meal I eat. I've decided to make up some meals that I can freeze that are proportioned out with the nutritional content written on the outside.
This has got to be better than preparing every meal and better than the lean cuisine type meals that I actually have not bought any of recently.
I have a ton of those plastic bowls that you get with chinese takeout that were left over from all the takeout we used to get and I saved the bowls. They'll be perfect for freezing.

So, I'd like your help purty please. I need your favorite recipes that would freeze well. I'd also love it if you could include the nutritional content of it too, it isn't necessary, it would just save me a little time.

Do any of you currently do this?
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #2  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

64 views with 0 replies, I guess no one has any good recipes.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #3  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Try this link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/

Plus check out the South Beach Diet stickies. There are a lot of recipes there. I'm not doing South Beach, but I still use some of the recipes (mostly phase 2 since phase 1 is more restrictive). There is also a board with a sticky for recipes at the top that listed recipes by entree, side, etc, but I haven't found it yet. I'll post again when I do.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #4  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Check out these stickies too. It's the food talk board. I've copied tons of these recipes, but haven't tried many of them yet.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...lous-finds-17/
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'10

I don't have any recipes for you but can suggest spaghetti which freezes and microwaves easily. I would also suggest you get a non-plastic container to freeze your meals unless you plan on letting them thaw first. I'm hoping you get a lot of ideas. - Julie
GaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I read your posting and think it is a good idea but don't have any suggestions. Experiment and let us know how it turns out.

Hey, GaDragonfly
We are using the same ticker. I like that determined little chick!

Last edited by time2lose; 07-23-2010 at 10:07 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'10

Cheryl. I probably saw your ticker and loved it. That little chicken looks so determined to make it to the finish line. I just love it's expression. Julie
GaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

•2 tbsp olive oil

•2 onions, chopped

•2 garlic cloves, crushed

•1kg/2¼lb lean beef mince

•250ml/9fl oz wine (I used white, cos that's what I had)

•2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes

•3 tbsp tomato purée

•3 tsp dried chilli flakes (I think mine must have been v. hot chillis, this takes my head off! but it's goooood)

•1 tsp ground cumin

•1 tsp ground coriander

•1 tsp ground cinnamon

•1 beef stock cube

•salt and freshly ground black pepper

•2 x 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1.Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid and fry the onion and garlic until softened. Increase the heat and add the mince, cooking quickly until browned and breaking down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon.

2.Pour in the wine and boil for 2-3 minutes.

3.Stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli flakes, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and the stock cube. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened.

4.Add the kidney beans and cook for a further ten minutes, uncovered, before removing from the heat, adding any extra seasoning if necessary. Serve with rice and a big green salad.

This makes 12 portions. I also have cooked brown rice in 4oz bags in the freezer. If I take one of each out the night before, I zap the chilli for 2 mins in the microwave, add the rice and shake it about a bit, zap for 1 minute more.
I think I could eat this from here to eternity!

Calories (excluding rice) 355; carbs 18.6; fibre 1.85; fat 20.3; protein 20.4

Last edited by Rosinante; 07-23-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: to add nutrition details
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

I looked at the thread...and think it's a good idea. I'm interested in what people come up with. I just don't know how stuff would turn out if frozen.

When I start back to school and work in a few weeks...I'll really be interested in pre-making meals.
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

The only thing that I makes and freeze is Chili. I make a big pot and then freeze it in individual portions. Chili reheats awesome!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #11  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Also if you google freezer meals it will come up with ideas and information. One thing I wonder though is if you are going to make several (I know some people that do 30 days of freezer meals in one day) you will need something that is really going to combat freezer burn. I'm not sure a standard tupperware will do it...but I could be wrong. I think they are a great idea, but I can't do it with my living situation at the moment.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I do this for lunches quiet often - as convenient as a Lean Cuisine, but you know, made of REAL chicken lol those little pieces of 'chicken' in those meals scare me a bit. I read it in a magazine once and was all over it! I even put it ziploc small freezer bags for more convenience, and let it thaw at work. I have 2 varieties!

cook a bunch of whole wheat rotini or the longer tubey kind of pasta. Cook some chicken breasts ( i cook a ton at once) and chop it up. In the cooked pasta, add a box of Campbell's Soup Cooking Sauce whatever flavour you're looking for ( i use the lower fat one), add the chicken cubes, and a bag of frozen veggies (I like broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix) and then I add peas for fun colour! could NOT be easier! i add some pepper to taste, and bob's yer uncle! scoop it into bags and freeze. I usually do a bit more than a cup, with a salad and roll makes a nice meal!

The other one is basically the same - start with the cooked pasta -- and brown lean ground beef (i do half meat, half turkey), I brown a ton of onions in with it, add some Cream of Tomato Soup, a tin of chopped stewed tomatoes (ones with garlic & seasoning alread in it!), i add corn and peas, and done! put in some spicey stuff if you like that and scoop into baggies, super easy!

I'm all for easy and convenient, and I really like both of them so i eat it quite often for lunch with a salad! yay!

Last edited by Trazey34; 07-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #13  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Trazey...this is totally off topic, but I just saw that movie North & South. Its a cute, sweet movie. I really liked it.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #14  
A new begining!

S/C/G: 263/240/135

Height: 5'5"

I have was thinking of doing this too. My only problem is how do you figure out how many calories is in a big pot of something. I guess you would have to add up everything you put in it and then divide by how many portions you get out of it. Let me know how it goes I would be so nice not to have a ton of dishes to do every night!
Elijahs phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #15  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHoodie View Post
Trazey...this is totally off topic, but I just saw that movie North & South. Its a cute, sweet movie. I really liked it.
i know! such a hot mini-series, when he says "look back...look back at me" when she's driving away, i DIE!!! lol
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote