Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Do you or will you tell people...

...that you've lost weight? When you meet people for the first time, if the situation is appropriate do you or will you tell people you've lost weight? It's obviously something I'm very proud of but at the same time not so much. Sometimes I want to pretend like that person never existed, and sometimes I want to tell every stranger on the street. Just curious how others feel.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #2  
On the trip to a new me!

S/C/G: 276/*see ticker*/160

Height: 5'6

I LOVE telling how much weight I have lost it feels great and also inspires other people to do the same.
successfulhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 311/239/154

Height: 5'8"

Not when I'm meeting someone for the first time I don't think. Probably, thinking about it, because I don't want them to think of me as fat.
At the moment however, where I'm almost half way through my weight loss journey, I do like to drop into conversation that I've lost five stone, but that's with existing friends and family for the most part. And because quite often some of them don't notice otherwise!
Zing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I didn't and won't tell people unless asked. Then I'll very happily share but for one thing, part of my 'normal', which is my dream, is that no-one would suspect I'd ever been anything other; for another thing, unless I knew the other person's situation, I would be very cautious of anything that might sound like a boast. Not AT ALL saying you'd be boasting, not at all; neither would I be - but if the other person was having a really bad day, my weightloss joy could just be the last straw for them.

Ask me though - and you won't be able to turn me off!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It depends...I've told cashiers at clothing store. I almost feel compelled to do so. I've wanted to tell people at the gym, but I've held my tongue. Other than that, I don't meet a wide range. (If anyone is familiar with "Into the Woods" I now have lyrics in my head. )

I don't know. That's a part of me that I wouldn't mind just fading into the background.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #6  
men7al

S/C/G: 203.5/140/135

Height: 5'3

My family and some of there friends are rude and comment when I am fat or too skinny.I am naturally thin..So,I welcome the haters when I do lose the weight without there DIET pills..and When I lose it..I don't need to tell ppl..they know by how your dressed.Who cares what ppl think in the end of day..is what you feel about ur looks..I say if you lost the weight go and get some cute outfits and celebrate it.
men7al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I doubt I'd tell. Unless it is medically pertinent somehow for a doc to know.

I just don't see the point in broadcasting it -- esp socially to new people I'm just meeting?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-21-2010 at 04:44 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I don't meet very many new people these days, but when I first started this job I was much smaller than I am now. I never had the urge or inclination to tell anyone, "Well, you should have seen my fat behind last year!" I don't want to be ashamed of fat-me, neither do I want to draw attention that this is not normal-me, this is just right-now-me.

People who knew me then may be thinking on the inside about how I let myself go, but I'm not really into discussing my weight (except on here ) so I'm not a big help to you.

I'm a waffler
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #9  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I've started dating recently and I don't tell anyone I've dated that I used to be much heavier. I mention that I care about fitness and eating healthy, but leave it at that.

Last edited by motivated chickie; 07-21-2010 at 04:50 PM.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I only tell those who are close to me. I don't advertise it right away. I feel like that part of me died, and she's better off left buried and in peace.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

In general, no. With these exceptions:

I've told the manager at the gym that I frequent nearly daily, because we often chat together.

I've routinely told medical providers that haven't had an ongoing relationship with me -- it comes up with regard to the diabetes question.

It's not that I'm keeping it a secret, it just usually isn't pertinent & isn't something I'd share in casual conversation.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The only person who needs to know is my new doctor.

Of course, some people saw me lose weight, so they know I did. But I moved just after I got to my lowest weight, and haven't told anyone in my new community. It's great! I don't get the questions, people don't watch me eat and ask about it, they just treat me like I'm a "normal person." Love it. I don't consider my weight anyone else's business.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

As a teacher, I will be meeting a lot of new people here in a month or so. It'll be a few years before I start getting students who never knew me fat, but there will be new teachers and administrators. Part of me really, really wishes that no one would tell people that I used to be fat--not because I am ashamed of it, but that I hate that it's now officially the most interesting thing about me--like if I'd had triplets, or won the lottery, or was related to someone really famous.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
...that you've lost weight? When you meet people for the first time, if the situation is appropriate do you or will you tell people you've lost weight? It's obviously something I'm very proud of but at the same time not so much. Sometimes I want to pretend like that person never existed, and sometimes I want to tell every stranger on the street. Just curious how others feel.
I'm so glad you asked this question! I have a move in the offing and I've been wondering the same thing myself....

I know that when I went on a job interview luncheon with two women, one of the women, who was obese, ordered a reuben with fries and the other, like me, ordered a chicken ceasar-- when the other woman asked if they had light dressing, I indicated that I wanted that too. Then, suddenly, I felt disloyal to the obese woman-- so I blurted out that I had lost (at that time) almost 100 lbs....

It wasn't until later that I realized that I did not need to "explain" to these near strangers why I wanted light dressing on the side. LOTS of women order like that every day of the week.

I find it really hard not to mention it to people-- being fat is still such an integral part of my conception of who I am that it seems strange to me that people could see me as a normal weight person, not a "fat person who lost weight."

I'm going to try to think about it before I blurt it out to every new person I meet.... but especially with obese people, I feel a certain solidarity with them, and I feel like saying, "actually, I'm fat too, you just can't see it any more."
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #15  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Great question! Well, I've gained and lost the same 50-70 lbs. many times now and I always have blurted out how much I've lost to people I know and even those who I don't know as well. Sometimes, they've asked me too, so that makes it easier. However, now I'm getting back on track (only in the last 4 days) and I've decided to keep this to myself. I kind of think that I've become addicted to the attention that I get from my weight loss. People's reactions to me matter too much and I need to back away from that as much as possible. I'm not going to hide my body but I'm also not going to tell people that I'm counting calories (unless they ask) or that I'm losing x amount of lbs. a month (as if I'm hoping they'll still be my friends and wait for me to look good....sad....but true). So, rather than make announcements and predictions, I'm going to stay low key and focus on my own feelings and journey and stop thinking so much about what others are thinking.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote