Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #1  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Default Are you kidding me???

Pk so I am so frustrated this morning. I jumped on the scale and I had gained a pound and then 15 min lost two lbs, and now I have gained 3 pounds. So I went to my handy dandy google and searched out my scale. Come to show it has REALLY REALLY bad reviews for just this thing of fluctuations. So I know I am losing, as my jeans don't feel so tight but now I have NO freaking clue what I weigh and question my starting weight.

The scale I have has to be at least 6 years old and was under a pile of towels for most of the time so it very well could have bit the dust. This is NOT a good way to start the day and part of me wants to run right out to WALLY world and buy another scale but for fear of being neurotic I am staying put.

I just had to rant
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Rant away...

But for your own peace of mind, you may want to consider buying an accurate scale.

I have a Tanita scale. It gives me the same reading multiple times in a row. Which of course now I don't need to do because I know that to be the case, so it's one time on and that's that.

For the time being I urge you to focus on your eating/exercising behaviors. Stay with your plan, tweaking as need be, customizing it, making it more palatable and healthier as you go along. Find skills to get you through all sorts of situations - boredom, stress, parties, happiness, etc.

Focusing on the behaviors ensures that you will lose weight, even if your scale is inaccurate. Your body knows for sure what's going into it (and what's not), even if your scale is uncertain.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I have one of those older "dial" scales and it definitely fluctuates a fair bit at times. Some days I get on and off 3 times and take the average.

In the end, it doesn't matter what that scale says (was my starting weight 295 or 300? who knows). What matters is that I lost weight and got healthier by any measure!

But if it bothers you, get a new scale!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Don't you hate when you try to weigh yourself and can't?!? I woke up and tried to weigh in and the batteries were dead in my scale. I'm very disappointed, but working the next 24 hours, so can't get batteries until then. Makes me crazy
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #5  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

I hear you on the scale frustration. I have a Weight Watchers Scale and step on 3 times in a row and get 3 different readings. They are all very similar readings though so I just take the average. As long as it goes down I am happy
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #6  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

Hey I just bought a new scale from Amazon by Eat Smart. Very consistent readings and really cool and sleek. Only set me back about 25 bucks with free shipping. I love it. My old scale was wildly inconsistent so this one is much better!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #7  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

gah, i can see how this would have been totally frustrating! it sounds like finding a more consistent and reliable scale would put your mind at ease.
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #8  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Thanks everyone, I did go out and buy another scale and while it doesn;t fluctuate like the other one does I still don't know why the numbers went up when I eat under 1300 calories and I walk 30 min a day. So instead of going freaking nuts and throwing in the towel, I had 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter with my toast this morning.. it's just not a good day at all but it's okay because tomorrow is a new day with new hope
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I have the eat smart scale that I also purchased from Amazon.com for use at my boyfriend's. It is great. perfect readings, and the digital readout is blue. so you can weigh yourself in the dark, if the mood strikes.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote