Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #1  
american girl

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'9''

Default Controlling the Depression

Hello everyone,

I'm a frequent start and stopper here at 3FC.

About a month and a half ago I realized that the depression medication that I was taking (Zoloft) was no longer working. I had fallen into a well of deep depression and I wasn't happy with how my life was going. I was tired all of the time. I had no motivation such that even getting out of bed some days was a struggle. I was self-medicating with alcohol. And I felt guilty for everything I couldn't do which fed into the downward spiral. As I became more depressed, I cared less about what I ate. I suspect that some/most of my weight gain in the last three years is due to an ever-worsening depression that was not properly handled by my prescription.

My doctor and I decided to switch me over to a new anti-depressant and I decided to start therapy. As I was beginning my new medicine and counseling, I decided that everything else in my life (including watching what I eat) would take a back seat. It was more important that I get myself into a place where making a change would not only be possible, but would be sustained.

I am now on my sixth or seventh week of Effexor and I'm feeling better. I feel that I have the energy and motivation that I so sorely lacked before. I'm ready to lose some weight now and I don't think my mental health is going to continue to hold me back.

That's my story and I hope that I can stick to it.

Lauren
bailunrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #2  

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm new here as well and am facing pretty severe depression. I have not turned to alcohol or drugs, I have turned to food.
I'm still trying to get to a doctor, to get on some medication, but there's something in my brain telling me that's its not worth it and its a waste of time. One day I will make it there and I will share my story for others.
I'm happy that you were able to fight it and hope that it keeps working.
Mandi984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #3  
Taking care of me.

Lauren (love that name), you can stick to it. I think we just have to remember that we are in it for the long haul, not a quick fix.

Mandi984 - that something in your brain is depression. You are worth getting the help and it won't be a waste of time. It might be challenging and slow going but definitely not a waste of time.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote