Old 07-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default The downside about weekly weighing....

I'm just about to go and do it now. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes putting it off..... What if? What if not? I've tried very hard this week but.......

and yes, I am really embarrassed to admit this!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

Hm. Half a pound. While it could have been worse, I'm gritting my teeth a bit: I tried a lot harder than that!
Heyho, another week.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I'm just about to go and do it now. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes putting it off..... What if? What if not? I've tried very hard this week but.......
I can see that, I really can. I would think that since you are *only* weighing once a week, you put SO much importance into it. It becomes this big, dramatic thing. Hmmm, one more reason for daily weighing....

And yes, sometimes our results don't match our efforts.

But darling, a 1/2 pound IS a half pound. Two sticks of butter - gone. History. Finito.

Keep up the great work, just keep at it and there is no way that your body and the effort will not meet up.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

Thanks, Robin, I knew I could rely on you!

The trouble with daily weighing is that I get the same panic 7/7 days, rather than just the one!

I should also perhaps have checked farther back in my records: I've only lost a skinny, scrawny little pound this week but over 2 weeks it's 4 and a half! Well 4.4 but near enough. I'll pipe down now.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

You just know I'm going to chime in on this one, don't you? Now that you know you have a plan that works for you, step away from the scale. Try weighing monthly. It's quite liberating. Really.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #6  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Hey, losing is better than gaining!
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oy!

Here's my two cents...

I think that what you are doing is not working for you. Now, whether you choose to go Careysings way or Robin's way is up to you. Either are good choices.

Because I'm a daily weigher, I have to comment on the stress of doing it 7/7 days. At first it feels obsessive, then I swear it becomes liberating. You've had a good week? Great! Then you didn't see the two pounds you lost three days ago because you didn't weigh until today. That's what drives me batty about weekly weighing. With weekly weighing, the scale tells me if I've been "good" or "bad". With daily weighing, the scale becomes a tool. I dare say with monthly weighing the scale becomes a tool too. And that's what it's supposed to be...just another way to measure the GOOD you ARE doing.

I have learned that every month I lose for two weeks and then I stall for two weeks. I wouldn't know this if I didn't weigh daily. This week I have taken THREE 20 mile bike rides. I should be losing big, right? Nope...I'm stalling because I'm at that stall time of the month. No biggie...that just means a nice whoosh in about two more weeks. It doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

I remember weekly weighing...never again!

Last edited by Eliana; 07-17-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #8  

I weighed weekly until I read Judy Beck's book, "Beck Diet for Life."

This week was a good example. Wednesday I was out at a different company location. I had a Subway salad for lunch, no croutons, no dressing. I had a Wendy's large chilli for dinner, no fries, but I did have a regular coke. I was SO PROUD of my choices.

I gained 3 lbs. overnight from that. If I had only weighed once a week, and I weighed that day, I would be SO upset. And if that wasn't my weigh-in day, I would have went along thinking that everything was fine instead of making a point of being really, really careful the next two days to lose those 3 pounds.

And if I HAD kept weighing daily last year, I would NOT have gained 80 lbs. back. But I stopped weighing myself.

Bottom line: There are good reasons to weigh daily, weekly or monthly. You have to find what works for you.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 219/219/147

A loss is better than a gain Rosinante.

I tried weighing daily the other week and was really pleased all week as I seemed to be losing quite well until on day 9 I discovered I had put on a whopping 10lb overnight! My scales are new so I know it's not because they need a new battery. So I'm back to weighing in weekly again. Everybody has their own way of weighing though and like has been said before, there are pros and cons of each way.
Mrs Rock Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

4 and a half over 2 weeks is GREAT! congrats! I experience that scale anxiety too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #11  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Rosinante on the Weight Loss! When you see the total for the month it's a nice lose.

The thing I like about daily weighing is I can see my lowest weight for the month. Plus, I see how weight is effected by how much sodium and overeating I do. But I do count Friday as my official weigh in day, to see how I compare to the week before.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #12  
Happy Plodder

Thankyou for all the input.

I've done daily, weekly and Lenten weighing (I once didn't weigh for the whole of Lent, lost 12lbs) and find there are pros and cons to all.

I might have a peek tomorrowTMI ALERT, I MEAN IT! I swear, I spent so long in the bathroom this afternoon I could have written War and Peace, never mind read it ~ I just have to be lighter tomorrow..... We'll see.

I've jiggled my WOE around, I'll jiggle my WOWeighing around too, until I find what works. It's good to have this space to post in though.

Last edited by Rosinante; 07-17-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Exactly Rosinante. Nothing is written in stone. If you feel like one *method* is not working well for you - move it out and try another.

But, for the very reason you just stated as to why you will weigh tomorrow - that's why I like weighing daily. You miss a lot of info when you don't weigh as frequently.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Lately I have been recording daily but running a seven-day running average as my official weight. I LOVE this because even on days when I am up a little, my 7-day average still goes down, which shows my overall progress and keeps me from getting upset. Furthermore, when I say I am "170", I don't have any little doubts in the back of my mind that I was a little dehydrated or something--if my average weight for the last week was 170, then that IS my real weight.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #15  
Happy Plodder

Felt I had to check again today. Still hardly a whoosh but 197.7, and an exact 18lbs off in 8 weeks.

I think the only pattern I can follow is: weigh daily until that drives me insane; then weigh monthly until that drives me insane; then either go back to weekly or move on to monthly.