General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/238/190

Default Looking for the best diet...please...

Hello ladies...
I know there are oodles of diet plans but I'm looking for one that works with carb sensitive people, but doesn't cut out all carbs. I've done several things and each only works for about 6 months or so.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really at the end of my rope. I don't want to give up but I need something different.

TIA...

KJ
themoonandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Counting calories is the only thing that has worked for me and helped me to keep from gaining weight. You can devise your own plan around calorie counting, but I really find it the easiest, cheapest and best way to lose weight.

Everyone has something different that works.

There are lots of different sites and I have used them all: fitday, sparkpeople, my daily plate, my fitness pal, etc, etc. Currently I like mydailyplate.com the best.

And of course, exercising is always a good idea. But I do believe it is 80% eating and 20% exercise.

Good luck!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I had tried everything, then I found calorie counting, well calorie counting actually found me. I lost 120 lbs in 12 months! This website has a great section on calorie counting. Have you tried that?
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am another who has tried them all , or so it seems. I have found calorie counting works best for me. It is flexible, reliable,easy and FREE !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure how you define "some carbs", but since you are sensitive to carbs, you might want to check into The Insulin Resistance Diet, if you haven't already. There is a thread about it in Dieting with Obstacles, PCOS subforum.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #6  
Should Be Good

S/C/G: 209/206/145

Height: 5' 9"

My diet is just: Eat your damn vegetables.

Scentifically speaking, the Chinese eat an abundance of calories in a day, nearly 4,000. The difference between 4,000 over here and 4,000 over there is: they eat most of their meals in vegetables and natural foods like fruits, and garnish meals with proteins.

There's a huge difference in nutrient dense foods and the empty calories. Empty calories that are eaten all the time (even low fat, 'high vitamin' foods that are processed) make the body feel you must be starving with the low calorie food. You could eat a ton of this food, and feel full, but your body has nothing of value from it.

We all know what happens when the body goes into starvation mode: it stores all the fat just in case it has to use it later.

So 'big people' aren't actually eating too much. They have bodies that are starving!

In theory, counting calories will help you lose weight, but it's hard and often people don't feel full. It's hard.

When people switch to nutrient dense food, eating mostly fresh and cooked fruits and vegetables and meats the majority of the time, they lose weight and feel full. The body gets out of starvation mode.

If you want to do it the easiest way possible, make like 80% of your plate veggies and fruit (doesn't matter what type, just make it as 'natural' as possible) and 15% protien. If you are still hungry after, go for more fruit and protien and rice. Fill up!

From there, give in to a few temptations on occasion, like a cookie or ice cream as a treat. As long as your body is full of vitamins and getting them regularly, these treats won't pull you back into starvation mode.

That's what I've been reading in science journals. If you fill up your plate with natural foods, your body naturally sorts itself out.
InkCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/238/190

Thanks, guys! I'll take a look at the calorie counting forum. That's always been a toughie for me, just because I HATE HATE HATE writing things down. But...as they say...if you expect different results, you have to have different actions...to paraphrase.
themoonandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #8  

I too have tried them all and nothing worked for me until I started eating low fat vegan. I eat NO animal products at all. I have lost 20 pounds easily after struggling for probably close to 20 years to lose anything. I loosely follow Sugarbusters but with a vegan slant. I too was very carb sensitive, and this diet has helped that a lot. According to studies a low fat vegan diet helps heal insulin resistance in diabetics and pre-diabetes. It seems to be working for me.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Ellen,

I am very interested in your post. I have never heard that a low-fat vegan diet could help heal insulin resistance in diabetics and pre-diabetics & I 've done a lot of research. Could you please reference those studies, so I can read them? Thanks.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

I finally had success in weight loss with calorie counting. In the past I lost a significant amount of weight with low carb, however it was not realistic for the long term and I gained it back. I know you dislike keeping a food journal but there are so many great websites out there. Do you have a smart phone? I use a calorie counting application on my phone that has been extremely convenient and a huge part of my success. Remember, it's more about finding what works for you in the long term and making lifestyle changes.

Good luck!
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #11  

I have turned back to calorie counting due to enjoying my fair share of fruit and certain carby veggies and dessert items, but the South Beach Diet was marvelous while I was on it! I never felt so good. It's a moderate carbs plan instead of a low carb plan, and you don't have to count anything! And you still lose. Seriously. I've taken what I learned from South Beach and am now applying it to calorie counting.
SpoonSockSpork12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/174/120

I have been a vegetarian off and on for years and decided to make the switch to vegan 8 days ago. I have lupus and am currently not in a flare (and med free) so I've decided to attempt to control the disease, and my weight through my diet.

I've lost 4 pounds already and I haven't had to count, keep track of calories or limit anything I put into my mouth. The kicker is that I haven't exercised at all (I'm starting a running program on Thurs.). I feel fantastic! Within 3 days my complexion was clearer and the stiffness I often feel first thing in the morning has been non-existent!

For some initial education I would recommend reading Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman (his diet is a little radical but there are lots of vegan cookbooks out there).

For motivation, Fuhrman's book is good but the documentary Food Inc. cinched it for me and completely changed the way I look at food now.

Vegan is not for everyone but I'm so incredibly happy I made the decision!
VeganMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #13  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

stax system you might want to check out you get carbs still it just controls your portions and has a timer so you eat every 3 hours or however long you choose also has carb cycling so you don't plateau
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #14  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

I agree with the calorie counting but I also count my carbs. I keep a daily food diary and count every thing as I eat it.
I am a type 2 diabetic and this is slow going but it works for me. I am also exercising daily.

It didn't go on overnight and won't come over overnight.
Taking it 1 day at a time.

Good luck
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote