Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #1  

Default IP & the peanut butter craving

It seems so weird to me that so many of us on the IP diet crave peanut butter.

I was not a peanut butter eater at all before (like less than once a year), and now I want it all the time, and it seems like many of us feel the same way. For me, it's not the same craving than like ''oh, maybe cheese would be good one day'', it's more like ''I NEED IT RIGHT NOW''.

It's the only craving that I have problems to overcome, and it's really persistent, so I was wondering if it could mean something ? Does anyone have an idea ?

Edit : Sorry about the title with the word ''peanut butter'' inside. I didn't wanted to give cravings to anyone!! I didn't thought about it at all when I've written the title, and now I can't edit. Sorry!!!

Last edited by 1FCuser; 07-15-2010 at 10:10 AM.
1FCuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #2  
ReStarted IP 6/4/2012

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post
It seems so weird to me that so many of us on the IP diet crave peanut butter.

I was not a peanut butter eater at all before (like less than once a year), and now I want it all the time, and it seems like many of us feel the same way. For me, it's not the same craving than like ''oh, maybe cheese would be good one day'', it's more like ''I NEED IT RIGHT NOW''.

It's the only craving that I have problems to overcome, and it's really persistent, so I was wondering if it could mean something ? Does anyone have an idea ?
Every time I have been on a "low-carb" diet, I have fegined for PB like no ones business. And even now I am. Last weekend when I got sick and had to take 3 days off the diet, for lunch I had a PB on wheat, then for a "snack" I had two tablespoons of PB. Plain. WTH??
TaylorMayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #3  

Maybe i've found an answer.. ? http://www.3fatchicks.com/why-people...peanut-butter/
1FCuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #4  

Interesting article, Sandy... thanks... I used to crave PB all the time, but nowadays when I start thinking about it, I just remember how it always gives me indigestion... that's enough to keep me from buying it...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #5  
mepeterson

S/C/G: 212/171/145

I feel your pain. The first time I was on IP prior to my break I was fine for about 2 months then I absolutly went crazy with cravings for peanut butter. I started just having one spoonfull but that was a huge mistake. before I knew it the whole (large size) jar was gone in less than a week. And I did not stop there. When I phased out of the program and got to phase 4 I had peanut butter sandwich for breakfast every morning. Plus had it in my celery for lunch. I ate so much peanut butter you would have thought I would be sick of it. But sadly that is not true....
It was the last think I ate before starting back on IP and I have craved it sooooooooo bad. I am not giving in because i know I cannot stop with one spoonfull. I even tried the WF peanut butter. (DON'T DO IT) Yukkooooo! Then i purchased a product called PB2 which is a powdered peanut butter. It is supposed to have 85% less fat in it than reg and better for you. Someone said if you mix one spoon of that with a spoon of WF peanut butter it taste like JIFF. I think they must have no taste buds because it tasted nothing like Jiff. It was so yukky. So I have given up on my peanut butter quest while on this diet and I keep telling myself, it will not be forever!!
mepeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 239/176/145

Height: 5'7"

I crave PB too and never have really eaten it before IP. I did buy the WF and it is bad alone but I did as someone suggested and use a spoonful with vanilla or choc pudding with extra water/ice and make a shake. It is pretty good. I did find a product at our health food store that is soy butter. It has 190 calories , 15 grams of fat and only 1 net carb. That is for 2 TBsp so when I really crave it I do have a spoonful. We'll see how that effects the weightloss this week.
lkreutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Peanut butter is a high fat, moderate protein food that is high in folate, choline, magnesium, potassium,vitamin E, Niacin, and phosphorus . It has a very complete assortment of amino acids too. It sneaks in a bit of starch and sugars (more if you are using commercially prepared like jiff, skippy, or the like). If you get a salted variety the sodium can be quite high too.

Looking back, I notice I started craving this after I eliminated taking as much of my choline inositol supplement. HMMM??? I might have to put that back in my mix. It has fewer calories than PB.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

I fell into it last night, and it is true, I could live without pb before this diet, or at least 1x a month. I bake a lot with it and enjoy the taste but I was eating it straight up! Crazy time.
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

I am so happy I do not suffer from any peanut butter cravings....now if they made a cashew butter or pistachio butter I would be in trouble....I love those and can't have them....oh well....skinny me will be o.k. that I didn't eat them when I arrive there.
jlewis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 268/229/140

Height: 5'8"

Smile Pbii

Hi guys!

The PBII is fantastic and you dont need to try and mix it with that walden farms stuff-cause that is just bad. You can use the PBII according to its directions. Mix 2 tbsp with 1 -2 tbsp of water and that's it.

This stuff is very good and it is all natural unlike walden farms. It has no weird taste and is nice. Per serving I believe there is 45 calories / 4 carbs and 1.5g fat. I may be a little off on that cause I dont have the jar in my hands. They have it in PB and PB+chocolate which I am not too crazy about.
If you really need to have it, I don't see this doing much harm.

I purchase it at lowcarbgrocery.com in canada, but they also have a site where they originate in the US - www.bellplantation.com

Seriously guys its awesome!!

Julie

Last edited by juliec1978; 07-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.
juliec1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis88 View Post
I am so happy I do not suffer from any peanut butter cravings....now if they made a cashew butter or pistachio butter I would be in trouble....I love those and can't have them....oh well....skinny me will be o.k. that I didn't eat them when I arrive there.
Uh, I have cashew butter in my fridge, that got hit too *sigh*

I have the pb2, WHY didn't I go there. EEK!
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #12  
mepeterson

S/C/G: 212/171/145

I tried the PB2 and it is an ok alternative but does not cure the craving for me at all.
mepeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

for all you peanut butter cravers-if you are doing a restricted now and then(or everyday for that matter), try the vanilla peanut ip bar. i honestly have no idea why they call it that because it doesn't taste vanilla-y but VERY peanut buttery. yum.
mamaerinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 148/111.5/115

Height: 5'4"

Default I have a confession

I totally craved peanut butter mixed with PURE butter. I used to dig my spoon into the butter tray and then into the peanut butter jar and it was pure bliss. Sigh.
Midlife Meggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthia View Post
Uh, I have cashew butter in my fridge!
I may have to investigate this once I'm in maintence
jlewis88 is offline   Reply With Quote