View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
wildviolets

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Sausage, Pepper & "Cabbage" Pasta
BibBob turned me on to sauteed, shredded cabbage as pasta. I have to say that it doesn't taste like pasta but it's very good! In other words, it works for me.
Ingredients
Cabbage
Olive Oil
Assorted Peppers (I like red, green, yellow, hot, etc)
Sausage (I use hot italian or any flavored sausage you can find in your grocery store)
garlic
grape tomatoes
onions
buffalo mozzarella
basil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large baking dish (13x9) put a few tablesppons of olive oil, a sliced onion, a pint of grape tomatoes, and 2 or 3 colored peppers sliced. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for an hour total or til the tomatoes have "popped" and everything looks nice and brown and tasty. Half way through, add your sausages (sliced in pieces) and a couple cloves of minced garlic.

2. In the meantime, slice your cabbage into long, thin pieces similar to spaghetti. Then saute in a non stick pan with a tablespoon or two of olive oil or butter, salt and pepper to taste. When it's wilted but not brown, remove from the heat and transfer to a plate or bowl.

3. When everything is done in the oven (about an hour total), mix in some buffalo mozzarella that has been cut into pieces. Add to cabbage and sprinkle with fresh basil.

Optional: We love pinenuts so when I have some, I sprinkle some roasted ones on top. But it's not neccesary.

You can vary this any way you want. Sometimes I don't use the mozzarella but instead sprinkle grated romano or parmesean cheese. You can vary the sausages too. They are a great variety in stores these days. I've used spinach and feta, sundried tomato and mozzarella, and just plain italian sausage.

I also vary the peppers. Recently I had a bag of small, colorful sweet peppers from Costcos. I cleaned them out and stuffed them with the italian sausage instead of slicing it. My husband loved it.....he even raved about it the next day! However I gave him regular pasta with his as he thinks my "Cabbage as Pasta" is crazy.

"Baby steps, baby steps." - Bill Murray in What About Bob
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote