Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/188/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Desparately Seeking Slim

Greetings All,

I just joined this forum because I have an eating problem. I'm not sure if I am a binge eater, an overeater, or a food addict. Whatever the label or category I need help.

A bit of background....I just turned 30 years old. In 2008 I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and at the time weighed around 240lbs. After my diagnosis, I started to change my eating habits and diet and over the course of a year or so I lost 65lbs. I managed to lose my first 40lbs by just diet changes alone, then after had to incorporate exercise to break that plateau.

Throughout 2009 and 2010 I have been really struggling. I go through phases where for months I do really well and lose more weight (my lowest weight since being 240 was 174), then I somehow lose focus and go on huge food binges and end up gaining weight, losing weight, gaining weight. It's a vicious cycle at the moment and I keep losing the same 10-20lbs over and over.

I am not on medication for my diabetes and I know that if I continue down this path I will eventually kill myself with food. I cannot let this happen, and feel helpless and powerless over this issue. All it takes for me is once cheat or lapse in judgement and it sends me on week or month long tailspin which reverses all the weight loss or work I did previously. It's really painful to admit that I ate myself into diabetes, even though my parent and grandparent also had it and I was predisposed...but they got it when they were 60+ and I was only 28!!

I'm at a low again this time, even though I recognize that I need to change or avoid certain foods it doesn't stop me. I deliberately buy these items, pre-meditate self sabatoge, then feel physically unwell and guilty for letting myself get to this point yet again.

I need to get back on track again, I cannot continue this eating lifestyle or I know that I will get sicker and sicker....and eventually the inevitable will occur.

Anyone else here suffering like I am? Any other diabetics on here who could shed some light or advice with binge eating or food addiction?

I welcome any comments.
ladycarbivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

We have a Diabetic forum here if you would like to check it out - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/

and a Chicks in Control forum here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #3  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Lady,
Welcome to 3FC. You have taken a big step by just admitting that you have a problem. I to was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes 3 years ago. I was considered obese (maybe even morbidly) when I started out. I had been eating everything and anything I wanted and had really stacked on the pounds. They had started me on Metformin and I saw a dietition and lost about 25. I'm like you and I have battled with the same 10-20lbs. for the past 2 years and I am sick and tired of it. You are much younger than me (I'm 49) but i'm sure we both have plenty to live for.
I started on June 28th keeping my food diary and making a strong effort to exercise almost daily. I just started here yesterday and have found alot of support already. I like that fact of being accountable to someone besides my self because obviously that didn't work.

So lets jump in there and get to going. Taking one day at a time. I don't know how much help I can be but I'm here for you.

Best of wishes to you and your health
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #4  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Default Welcome

We are glad you are here and know that you find many here to support you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycarbivore View Post
Greetings All,

I just joined this forum because I have an eating problem. I'm not sure if I am a binge eater, an overeater, or a food addict. Whatever the label or category I need help.

A bit of background....I just turned 30 years old. In 2008 I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and at the time weighed around 240lbs. After my diagnosis, I started to change my eating habits and diet and over the course of a year or so I lost 65lbs. I managed to lose my first 40lbs by just diet changes alone, then after had to incorporate exercise to break that plateau.

Throughout 2009 and 2010 I have been really struggling. I go through phases where for months I do really well and lose more weight (my lowest weight since being 240 was 174), then I somehow lose focus and go on huge food binges and end up gaining weight, losing weight, gaining weight. It's a vicious cycle at the moment and I keep losing the same 10-20lbs over and over.

I am not on medication for my diabetes and I know that if I continue down this path I will eventually kill myself with food. I cannot let this happen, and feel helpless and powerless over this issue. All it takes for me is once cheat or lapse in judgement and it sends me on week or month long tailspin which reverses all the weight loss or work I did previously. It's really painful to admit that I ate myself into diabetes, even though my parent and grandparent also had it and I was predisposed...but they got it when they were 60+ and I was only 28!!

I'm at a low again this time, even though I recognize that I need to change or avoid certain foods it doesn't stop me. I deliberately buy these items, pre-meditate self sabatoge, then feel physically unwell and guilty for letting myself get to this point yet again.

I need to get back on track again, I cannot continue this eating lifestyle or I know that I will get sicker and sicker....and eventually the inevitable will occur.

Anyone else here suffering like I am? Any other diabetics on here who could shed some light or advice with binge eating or food addiction?

I welcome any comments.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/188/130

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for your welcome.

I've started my own free blog and intend to journal on a daily basis and keep track of what I am eating. I know that I can reach my goal, I have the knowledge and tools to get there.

I'm making a committment to myself to not make food the enemy, but to turn the foods that are harmful to my body into the enemy.

Last edited by ladycarbivore; 07-14-2010 at 09:30 PM.
ladycarbivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #6  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote