Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Default Lack of appetite, severe reduction in food, but eh, no pounds lost

So, I have not been having much of an appetite lately. I mean, I definitely eat, but not the huge quantities that I normally did. Now, most nights, I skip dinner, or have something very light. I haven't eaten a full meal for dinner in quite some time.

I don't mind this lack of appetite. But, I am surprised that the scale isn't going down. I also noticed that I have not really been drinking tons of water. I know that when I lost weight before, I drank ALOT of water....almost 100 oz a day!

Could it be the lack of water that is making my reduction in calories not show on the scale?
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:52 AM   #2  
Crazy Cat Woman

S/C/G: 284/274/165

Height: 5' 4"

I don't know enough to say for certain, but I do wonder if you're routine has been changed recently? I've heard this can affect things. If not, perhaps a change is needed?
duckchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Could you post a couple of days' menus? 100 fl oz water is fine; it could be that you're eating too few calories.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #4  

A typical day's menu is coffee, tea, a breakfast sandwich, or about 6 ounces of protein, some fruit, maybe a pre-bottled smoothie. Then when I get home I haven't been eating meals, so I will usually have some tortilla chips and cheese or salsa, and more tea. I usually have at least 2 servings of the chips and cheese.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You said quite some time. What does this mean exactly? How long have you been eating this way with no pounds lost.

Cheese and chips is really not considered *light*. You also mentioned not much of an appetite, but you ARE eating the cheese and chips, so since you're eating that already, why not eat something more nutritious?

How much cheese are you eating? How much tortilla chips? You said you are eating at least two servings. Could be that these foods are adding up to quite a bit more than you think. They're also laden with fat and salt, really not conducive to weight loss and overall good health.

As far as the water goes, well why not drink some water and see what happens?

If it's weight loss that you're after, your menu is really going to need some tweaking. I would also try journaling, accounting for every bite, taste, crumb and sip that goes into your mouth.

Weight loss doesn't happen on it's own. It won't happen by accident. It takes a concerted, continuous, conscientious effort. It is the decision to eat well and exercise on a regular basis, forever. A few days (or weeks) of lowered appetite is not the best weight loss program
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

oops. I misread the post. I thought you were drinking 100 floz now.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I agree with Robin that you need to figure out a better way to figure out whether you are really "eating lighter" or not.

I've noticed, about myself, that my mind really plays tricks with me about how much I'm eating....

I'm very meal-oriented, so if I eat something that doesn't "feel like a meal" either because it was made up of snack food, or a sweet, or eaten standing up, or while snacking at a party, my body feels like it doesn't "count" and it makes me feel like I'm eating light, even though, in fact, I'm consuming the same, or even more calories....
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #8  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Chips and cheese are both salty. If you aren't drinking a lot of water your body will retain the water it has because of the salt.

You aren't getting much nutrition and despite "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" I think our bodies lose better/faster if we feed it (a decent amount of) nutritious food. Keeps the engine running properly, so to speak.

With that said, sometimes all you are hungry for is something like chips and salsa. I went a couple weeks where dinner was usually 6 triskits and some hummus because that's what I was hungry for. I figured as long as I stayed under my calorie allotment I'd feed my hunger knowing eventually my strange desire for triskets and hummus would pass. Haven't had (or wanted) either in weeks now but I'm glad I had them when I was craving them.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #9  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey Million!

I don't know for sure, because I'm not one to skip meals , but I really subscribe to the idea that your metabolism needs to be fed to work effectively. I think the best idea is the grazing thing, several small meals throughout the day. I am not one to eat that way, because I really desire a MEAL at mealtime. But I do really believe that your body puts the breaks on burning calories if you don't give it food on a regular basis.

If you are eating a great breakfast, and then going the rest of the day with only a couple servings of chips and cheese after work, I imagine your body is saying to itself "woah there, better hang on to these fat cells because who knows when this chick is going to feed us again!" That's what I'D be saying if I were your body!

Why not try a week of eating 3 decently healthy meals a day that fit in with your calorie goal (if you have one)? I bet you'd see a difference!

Good luck to ya, I'm rooting for you!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
You said quite some time. What does this mean exactly? How long have you been eating this way with no pounds lost.

Cheese and chips is really not considered *light*. You also mentioned not much of an appetite, but you ARE eating the cheese and chips, so since you're eating that already, why not eat something more nutritious?

How much cheese are you eating? How much tortilla chips? You said you are eating at least two servings. Could be that these foods are adding up to quite a bit more than you think. They're also laden with fat and salt, really not conducive to weight loss and overall good health.

As far as the water goes, well why not drink some water and see what happens?

If it's weight loss that you're after, your menu is really going to need some tweaking. I would also try journaling, accounting for every bite, taste, crumb and sip that goes into your mouth.

Weight loss doesn't happen on it's own. It won't happen by accident. It takes a concerted, continuous, conscientious effort. It is the decision to eat well and exercise on a regular basis, forever. A few days (or weeks) of lowered appetite is not the best weight loss program

This.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #11  

I know the chips and cheese part is confusing. For me, I tend to eat very large quantities of food, until I am usually very full. Lately, I will have a small bowl of chips with some melted cheese (a slice), and some fresh salsa and that is it. For me, a while ago, I would have eaten a few bowls of the cheese and chips, plus a burrito or another type of full meal.

the calorie count may not be so much lower, but the sheer volume of food is. I am going to go back to writing down everything I am eating and see if I can get a much better picture of how many calories I really am eating.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

When you began your weight loss journey, did you have a plan - calorie counting, WW, etc - or did you just begin to cut down on portion sizes?

The reason I ask, is because I noticed you lost 20 pounds. I just hit my 20 lb milestone as well, and I noticed that in order to continue losing, I needed to readjust the calories I was taking in (a few less). This could be the problem for you as well!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #13  

I focused both on calories, and on avoiding foods that would cause me to overeat. In general, my hunger levels are lower, which is what is surprising to me. But, I do think I need to increase the frequency of how I am eating, as I have a very slow metabolism, and don't seem to lose weight---even when doing the master cleanse, etc.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliondollarbbw View Post
I focused both on calories, and on avoiding foods that would cause me to overeat. In general, my hunger levels are lower, which is what is surprising to me. But, I do think I need to increase the frequency of how I am eating, as I have a very slow metabolism, and don't seem to lose weight---even when doing the master cleanse, etc.
Ummm, the master cleanse? How is that a long term sustainable weight loss program? Isn't that just a *quick fix?" We don't need cleanses - that's why we've got all those wonderful internal organs.

What we need for long term weight loss (including the maintain) and overall good health - is a lifestyle change. You must come to terms with the fact that a change MUST occur. That you can't go on living/eating this way. You must incorporate healthy eating/exercise habits into your life - forever. There is no secret to weight loss, no magic pill, potions or what not - it is the day in day out adherence to eating well and activity.

Slow metabolism? I'm sorry, but even if ones metabolism is *slower* than some one elses, it's not a cause for being overweight. We all have different rates at which we burn calories (and even our own will change over the span of our lifetime) and it's up to us to adjust it and eat accordingly.

I think focusing on calories through setting a calorie budget and adhering to it and avoiding foods that you overeat is an EXCELLENT start to a plan.

Another vital component - planning ahead. Plan, plan, and plan some more. Map out the foods you will eat for the day IN ADVANCE. Today and EVERY day. Set yourself up for success. Stop winging it. Failing to plan is planning to fail. It's much easier to stay on plan when you've got one. In addition, your food choices will be pre-determined - you won't have to think about what should I eat/what shouldn't I eat. You will already KNOW what you're eating.

Another vital component - clean out your environment. Get rid of the chips and the cheese. Add in healthy, healthy foods. ALWAYS have tons of fresh veggies on hand - for salads, stir fries, roasting and munching.

Make a large pot of soup to have all week or place in the freezer. Keep frozen fish fillets, chicken cutlets, turkey burgers, veggie burgers in the freezer.

And about those foods you need to avoid - make strict rules for yourself. Set boundaries. Make definite NO'S.

You don't have to be fat if you don't want to be. We all have the ability to lose the weight, we are all capable of it - regardless of your circumstances, regardless of your past history. But it won't happen on it's own. You've got to put in the effort. You've got to MAKE it happen - and you can, you can. MAke this your job, your mission. Become passionate about it. Don't focus on what you will be losing, but will you will be gaining.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 07-15-2010 at 04:55 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #15  

I am slightly worried about my lack of appetite. Usually, I will get hungry after a certain amount of hours, and lately I haven't been feeling that way. I just don't feel like eating much, or having that too full feeling. It may be something wrong with my digestion, but I am not sure. I don't feel bad or anything, but I am keeping an eye on it to be sure I am ok.

I have been focusing on drinking plenty of water, eating healthy foods, still having a problem with the chips, but, I don't binge on them. I have been having more healthy smoothies and avoiding eating too much at once.

I am not gaining weight, which is good, but I am not losing either. But, I will just keep up with watching what I eat. I also need to start back to writing down what I eat, and really watching the sugar, which is always an issue for me.

Thank you all for your support, I really like it and it helps to get me focused on my healthier lifestyle.

I