Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #1  
Fatty 2x4

S/C/G: 180/180 (boo..)/140 for now

Height: 5'5'

Question New to whole foods...any advice?

Hi,
I want to lose weight and get healthy, not just by eating less but by cutting out the junk. I want to start eating REAL food. I have mild irritable bowel syndrome, and I know it could be controlled better by eating a good diet. Does anyone have tips they'd like to share for someone new to a whole foods diet? Where should I start? Thanks!

Last edited by IndieSoul; 07-13-2010 at 10:35 PM.
IndieSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i just started too; i don't know how to cook, which kind of makes it harder to eat whole foods. i eat a lot of stuff that doesn't require cooking, fruits and vegetables, and cottage cheese. i'm a fan of sandwiches too, with sprouted bread, delicious.

soups are relatively easy too, just toss a whole bunch of veggies into a pot and you're done.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #3  

Hello, and welcome! One of the definitions of "whole food" is to eat it when it's as close to its natural state as possible. So, not knowing how to cook won't hinder you from eating whole foods!

Do either of you garden? It might be worth trying. It seems to be very rewarding for many whole-foodists.

I know that (depending on your diet) switching to whole foods can be a very drastic change. Do what works for you, what you can repeat day after day. For me, it means eating mostly vegetables, fruits, small portions of meat, and whole grains. Get used to chopping vegetables.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #4  
Fatty 2x4

S/C/G: 180/180 (boo..)/140 for now

Height: 5'5'

Thanks for the info ladies I wish I could garden! I live in a duplex that doesn't allow us to plant our own flowers - we have to keep them in pots on the patio. Right now we've got green peppers, onions, and tomatos, none of which I am fond of. But I love potatoes, carrots, beans, broccoli, etc. I'll have to become familiar with what plants grow best in Michigan.
IndieSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Hi! I have raised my son on organic dairy free since birth he is almost 3 now. Some tips to keep it cheaper, Costco has huge bags of organic blueberries and blackberries for super cheap (under $2/lb). They also have frozen organic beans, corn, etc. Sticking with grass-fed beef is good. You may look into a probiotic/prebiotoic supplement as well. If you grow zuchinni in a pot make sure to hand-pollinate the plants. A quick recipe I love is hormone free chicken in a frying pan with a few sliced zucchini and an onion with Braggs amino acid (it's like soy sauce). It's so yummy and takes no time. crock pots are great too. Good luck! Now if only I can keep myself doign good this time instead of just my son LOL.
summersbluepits is offline   Reply With Quote