Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Atkins & Pregnancy

I've read that Atkins is not recommended for pregnant women, because studies have shown that it can result in birth defects.

How concerned should a woman be if she was on Atkins throughout her first month of pregnancy, unaware that she was pregnant and had been neglecting to take vitamines or eat vegetables?

I'm not asking because I'm pregnant or anything of that nature, but this question occurred to me earlier. I intend to stay on this diet for years to come, and if I'm to have children one day, I don't want their health to be compromised.

I'm thinking waaay to far ahead, though. :P
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #2  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

If you were only a month pregnant, and changed your diet once you realized you were, I think your chances of having an unhealthy pregnancy would be pretty nil. Just make sure you add lots of color back into your diet and really start getting your folic acid into your body (this is the vitamin that really helps prevent birth defects). Make sure you let your doctor know and he will probably have lots of insight for you.
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm View Post
I intend to stay on this diet for years to come, and if I'm to have children one day, I don't want their health to be compromised.
The maintenance phase of Atkins is perfectly safe for pregnant women
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #4  

Start taking folic acid and B-vitamins now. That way, should you become pregnant, you won't be a month behind.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #5  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Definitely a question for a Doctor. Hope you are taking vitamins religiously as even for the first month, low levels of certain vitamins can cause huge problems.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Being sensible - many of the nutrients touted to be so rich in bready products - is heavily present in those dark leafy greens. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but would relax during pregnancy. Eat intuitively more - and plenty of veggies, fruits etc. Nothing in your body NEEDS hohos anyway. Keep it simple, and maybe lean yourself towards the whole foods with lower carbs. I don't see how anybody could say that's wrong! That would be ridiculous to say the pregnant girl over ate on spinach, apples, and carrots - seriously.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote