General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #1  
RachBaGach

S/C/G: 336/319/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Cooking?? WHAT???

Hey Everyone!

I am about to move in to my first apartment, and I've learned something about myself. I have NO IDEA how to cook, needless to say how to cook healthy meals. I'm determined to stay away from ramon noodles. Does anyone know of easy recipes that are healthy and cost conscious?? I could really use the help! I officially have 1 month till move-in and I'm starting to freak out!
muelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #2  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

What do you like to eat? There are many simple cook books and recipes available online (and on this forum) too.

Some people don't really cook either, they just eat simple foods (vegetables, fruits, canned and frozen things etc.).

You'll work it out!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There are low calorie cook books available. Try Amazon or Barnes Noble. If you can read , you can learn to cook.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

When I first moved out - if it came out of a package and I just had to heat it up - I ate it. My boyfriend and I both gained weight.

It took time - but I "know" how to cook now. Honestly, like it was said above - if you can read - you can cook. People always comment on my "good cooking" - seriously, it comes out of cookbooks and off websites.

If I want something easy, I cook some lean meat and veggies - it doesn't take long. I play with different sauces and seasonings to make things taste different.

My favourtie cookbook is Eat, Shrink and be Merry and my favourtie website is skinnytaste.com - I cook from both often.

Another thing I love is my BBQ - last night I just put some salmon and corn on the cob on the bbq. Put a yam in the microwave to mash and some mushrooms and onions on a frying pan. I had a delicious dinner, it was fast and easy too!

Be creative, figure out what you like and have fun with recipes. These are a few recipes I am going to try this week.

Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa Verde
Lighter Buffalo Chicken Dip

One thing I have learned - cooked chickens are CHEAP and low in calories. I used to think they were expensive, but they really are not. I can buy one cooked chicken for $7 at costco and easily make both of the above recipes. Probably have some left too.

I love cooking now, can you tell?
I used to hate it - but I realized how creative I get to be - try new foods - and just have fun. I think the only downfall is, my grocery bills are a little higher then I would like it to be - but I really enjoy cooking so I haven't worked to reduce it.

Last edited by sotypical; 07-13-2010 at 12:42 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

Calphalon Nonstick Pans!!!!!
These are a must have. It is so worth it to have quality cookware. You don't need a lot, just 1 or 2 pans. You may want to go with this one instead.
I personally own the first two, the 10 and 12 inch pan.

So, now that I've established that part, on to the food.

Lean proteins, easy and quick for grilling:
Tilapia Fillets: You can get a 4 lb box of individually wrapped tilapia fillets from Walmart for around $12. That's super cheap and they are really good.
Chicken Breasts: Find a local butcher who will fillet a half of a breast, season it and individually vacuum pack it for you.
Lean Ground Sirloin: Again, get this from a local butcher and have them wrap 1/2 pound packs.

For me, having food available is key. I have my freezer stocked with all of these items and plus some. I also buy the individually wrapped salmon from Sam's club, ground turkey which I have seasoned, separated into 4 oz portions and vacuum packed and frozen. (My brother is a butcher and has an industrial vacuum machine!). He gives me scraps from beef tenderloin, parts that have a tendon in it that he cannot give to his customers as he cuts steaks for local restaurants. Anyway, I take these and season and wrap in individual servings that are easy to defrost and cook. Makes really tasty fajitas.

Frozen vegetables make for easy steaming in the microwave as well.

I love making mexican flavored foods. Grilling chicken or beef with cumin and chili powder seasonings. Or you can buy fajita seasoning mix and just use some of that. You can have 2 white corn toritillas for 90 calories, 2 Tablespoons of sour cream for 40 calories, salsa for 10 calories, sauteed onions and bell peppers for 20 or 30 cal and then your beef or chicken for 150 calories.

The skillets are great for cooking eggs and omelets. I like to eat egg whites and 2 slices of ham in half of a Joseph's Pita.

Good luck! I love to cook! The best thing is to start experimenting!

Last edited by jenlag; 07-13-2010 at 12:51 PM.
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #6  
RachBaGach

S/C/G: 336/319/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you so much for all the advice! I can't wait to get started!! I just hope I dont burn the apartment down.
muelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote