View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Shmead

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJo2 View Post
Yes, but . . . .

...when you get to maintenance those old habits are still there. The underlying causes of your weight-gain are still there. Life, and all its stresses, is still there.

Maintenance can be done, but it certainly isn't easy for most of us. However it is worth it, it really is.

Best of luck to you on your weight-loss journey.
I think this is why you want to lose weight with a plan that could be your life--I lost a bunch of weight once (ok, several times) on 900 calories a day/slimfast type plans. Those were so miserable that there was never any thought of maintaining like that: once the weight was off, I needed to invent an entirely new eating plan, and frankly, months and months at 900 calories pretty much inevitably sapped my will and my ambition to do such a thing--so I went back to my old habits.

THIS time, I am eating a lot more--and exercising a lot more so that I can--and maintenance can be a variation on the quite livable life I already have: I'm hoping to exercise once a day, not twice, to have a roll with my baked chicken breast at night, to be able to eat moderately when a social occasion calls for it, and eat a substantial meal twice a month or so. But I can vary the habits I have in a controlled way, building on what I have already done, instead of starting from scratch just at a time when my willpower is low.

But to answer the original poster: YES, the beginning is the hardest if only because, like the proverbial frog in hot water, you don't know how miserable you are now. You've learned to settle, to tolerate it. As you lose weight, the rewards pile up, and you feel better and better about yourself.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that if a plan is still making you miserable after 3 weeks, if you are having to fight to stay on it, you need to change the plan in some way because it's only a matter of time before it collapses.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote