Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 418/372/230

Height: 6' 4"

Question Eat buffets- lose 35 lbs

I have lost 35 pounds on my new journey.

I know it sounds funny but I have eaten one buffet a week for two months and Have lost 35 lbs from my start, and 45 from my max. My trainer gets upset with me but I wanted to know is anyone else still eating buffets. I told my trainer it's not the buffet but what you eat on the buffet. But he said it's not good to promote it. Why do you all think? It's worked for me.

Last edited by bigmarh; 07-12-2010 at 05:53 PM.
bigmarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm not a huge buffet person in general. I think I've only been to one since I started losing weight. I just think the food isn't normally that great.

But I think if you're going to make healthy choices and are committed to sticking to your calorie limits, then it doesn't really matter what is presented in front of you.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #3  

Have you tried dieting without buffets? You should try it and see... Maybe your weight loss would be even more successful.

If there isn't a significant difference, and you enjoy eating at buffets, that's awesome. lol. You deserve a weekly treat. I wish I could do what you do. :P

And congrats on eating the right things... I'm not sure if I'd have that much self control.

Last edited by Rhythm; 07-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Sometimes if I am looking at a restaurant I would rather a buffet. Then I can pick and choose what looks healthy and have a salad of a decent size and protein and not have to get the starch even though I told them no thanks.

I lost 60 lbs on a strict diet of "chocolate every day and (white crust full fat) pizza every week" Bottom line is if it works for you and you would feel deprived without it I see no reason to change. For me if I gave up that piece of chocolate after lunch I would go on a snacky rampage in the afternoon. And on days when I can almost taste the pizza and didnt get it I would eat 800 extra calories sometimes multiple days in a row trying to overcome the craving that could have been solved with 400 calories of pizza each Tuesday.

I dont get the pizza that often anymore, but when the craving hits I still do. But I still do the chocolate every day.

If someday it stops working, look at changing it then.

Last edited by ennay; 07-12-2010 at 06:32 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I find that buffets are sometimes easier than other restaurants.
A lot of places charge extra to substitute salad for fries. THe plates have too much food on them. You get little choice in veggies.
A buffet lets you put the mix of proteins veggies and carbs on your plate that YOU want. If you do it right, I think they can be better than many restaurants. You have obviously been learning portion control and how to make good choices when eating out, or you wouldn't be so successful.
Enjoy the treat and the company when you are there.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #6  
futuremamachick

S/C/G: 280/210/150

Height: 5'6

I have avoided buffets since I started my weight loss journey. I used to eat at them all the time, (suprise, suprise). But, I really do not trust myself at them. I definitely think that my willpower has improved but I just do not want to test it. I think if you are able to lose while eating at a buffet once a week more power to you!
steph15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #7  

That's what my trainer said. He said you will probably lose more f you didn't go there. So i listened for a week. And I wound up gaining a pound. I only ate fruits, veggies and the lean meats when I went. That's why I think it is strange. My trainer works with other big guys and he says that they all can't do it. But my question is how does he know.

The reason I quit all the other times is because I was killing myself trying ot eat exactly right. But this time I am making it more about Lifestyle and not as much about diet. And It's working for me.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph15 View Post
I have avoided buffets since I started my weight loss journey. I used to eat at them all the time, (suprise, suprise). But, I really do not trust myself at them. I definitely think that my willpower has improved but I just do not want to test it. I think if you are able to lose while eating at a buffet once a week more power to you!
Thanks Steph. My trainer always says that I can't promote it because everyone is not like me. But I say promote it because someone may be. And it may help them stick to it.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I find that buffets are sometimes easier than other restaurants.
A lot of places charge extra to substitute salad for fries. THe plates have too much food on them. You get little choice in veggies.
A buffet lets you put the mix of proteins veggies and carbs on your plate that YOU want. If you do it right, I think they can be better than many restaurants. You have obviously been learning portion control and how to make good choices when eating out, or you wouldn't be so successful.
Enjoy the treat and the company when you are there.
That's exactly what I was saying fatmad. I guess only time will tell.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #10  

Quote:
That's what my trainer said. He said you will probably lose more f you didn't go there. So i listened for a week. And I wound up gaining a pound.
Weird. Maybe eating at the buffet once a week has been giving your metabolism a little kick?
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #11  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Even when I was eating whatever I wanted buffet never worked for me. I cannot eat a lot in one sitting so financially it made absolutely no sense for me to spend close to $20 for a buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmarh View Post
I have lost 35 pounds on my new journey.

I know it sounds funny but I have eaten one buffet a week for two months and Have lost 35 lbs from my start, and 45 from my max. My trainer gets upset with me but I wanted to know is anyone else still eating buffets. I told my trainer it's not the buffet but what you eat on the buffet. But he said it's not good to promote it. Why do you all think? It's worked for me.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Quote:
That's what my trainer said. He said you will probably lose more f you didn't go there. So i listened for a week. And I wound up gaining a pound. I only ate fruits, veggies and the lean meats when I went. That's why I think it is strange.
I think you've lost a very significant amount *with* going. Here's a case where you have to weigh happiness and long term viability with getting their fastest. You know, we could probably all lose faster. That's not a good logical reason in itself.

As for the gaining a pound, I have experienced that myself. That after a weekend where my calories were more at a maintain-level, my weight dips more. I like to think it is more proof that the zig-zag approach, or similar, works.

So, if you couldn't guess by now, I do eat buffets occasionally. Since my tastes and my stomach capacity have changed a bit, I don't do much damage at a buffet and quite enjoy them. I think you should continue doing the same.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

I ALWAYS overeat when dining in at a buffet, which doesn't happen often. I always wind up angry at myself because I am in physical pain and discomfort from overeating. I do however, buy buffets 'to go', either Chinese or Greek. These are weighed out by the pound and I put minimal amounts in my box; I can't overeat if the food isn't there to eat!

And you are correct, it's all about what you are eating on the buffet. If you are at a pizza buffet, probably not the best idea. However, there buffets that have boiled seafood on them, which would be fine.
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone. My trainer and I have been buddies since the age of 11. He and I are doing a sorta web series just to document my changes and talk about health. This will give me fuel for our debate. There are others like me! Hopefully he will lay off. BTW does anyone know how to get these comment updates in my email. I am liking this site.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #15  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Thanks everyone. My trainer and I have been buddies since the age of 11. He and I are doing a sorta web series just to document my changes and talk about health. This will give me fuel for our debate. There are others like me! Hopefully he will lay off. BTW does anyone know how to get these comment updates in my email. I am liking this site.

I think there should be an option to subscribe to the thread then to receive instant email on thread replies at your control panel.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote