Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #1  

Default Giving up calorie counting

I have given counting calories many shots. I was thinking about it and realized yesterday that I just can't do it. I looked back at the two times I have been successful losing weight(Summer/fall 2007 and when I went to France) and neither involved calorie counting. I made a big step and talked to someone about my eating issues and she recommended dropping counting calories full stop. Said it works as a weight loss tool for people who haven't suffered an eating disorder, but for a bulimic actually hinders recovery.

Needless to say, I'm kind of scared. And excited. Yes calorie counting has led to obsession and over-restricting, which in turn leads to binging, but sometimes it is so nice to see those low calorie numbers at the end of the day. I am going to try two weeks without counting calories to see what happens. I am slightly worried even though I have been most successful with weight loss by enjoying what I eat and not obsessing over the calories. We'll see how it goes!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Good luck
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #3  

I think you're totally right to do what works for you!

I'm just starting, but I'm not counting calories right now either. And WW points system was a disaster for me because I was eating so many veggies that they count as 0 points. If, along the way, I reach a plateau, then I think I will need to count calories but for now I'm just eating healthy foods when I feel hungry.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenacapella View Post
I think you're totally right to do what works for you!

I'm just starting, but I'm not counting calories right now either. And WW points system was a disaster for me because I was eating so many veggies that they count as 0 points. If, along the way, I reach a plateau, then I think I will need to count calories but for now I'm just eating healthy foods when I feel hungry.
I remember reading this on a blog somewhere, and it helped me.

He said "2000 calories of fruits and vegetables is still 2000 calories"

Maybe it can help you ^_^
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #5  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the others - do what works for you and you'll be successful! No one plan works for everyone. If calorie counting is not for you, perhaps 'mindful eating' is (it sounds like that's what you're doing). Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenacapella View Post
And WW points system was a disaster for me because I was eating so many veggies that they count as 0 points.
FYI - that's not entirely accurate. There are many vegetables that are not zero points, especially when cooked, and the 0 point is for 1 serving only (generally one cup). More than one serving and you have to start counting points.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

It's wise to try different things to find what works for you. Counting calories worked for me for awhile too, but I don't count now. Maybe I will again someday. Just keep trying
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #7  
futuremamachick

S/C/G: 280/210/150

Height: 5'6

Good luck to you!!
steph15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/T/160

Height: 5'8"

Good luck! You have to do what is best for you.

I am curious, as someone who suffered with bulimia for years, what is the rational behind calorie counting being counterproductive to recovery? For the rest of my life I know I will still have the brain of a bulimic (though I no longer binge/purge the urge is always there ), and I find comfort in calorie counting.

Again, good luck! I hope you figure out what is best for you.
Momto2Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/~210/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Good luck!

I have been yo-yo dieting for the last 2 years and I just stopped counting calories last week. I'm reading a book on intuitive eating and following those principles. I've had a serious problem with daily binge eating for the past year or so and since I stopped counting calories and weighing myself a week ago, I haven't binged at all, which is a HUGE accomplishment for me. It's only been a week, but I think not counting/obsessing is what works for me.
vajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #10  

I haven't binged since I dropped calorie counting either. Have I maybe eaten more than I should? Probably. But right now eliminating the bad behavior is #1 on my list.

As for how calorie counting hinders me, I just found for me personally calorie counting leads me to obsessing over how many I am eating, how many I have left, etc. and I can't eat food because I am too worried over the calories in it. And when I went over, it(somehow) led to bingeing because I had the mindset that I might as well just give up. That black or white thinking is very dangerous. But I am glad you found comfort and recovery in calorie counting
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote