Old 07-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #1  

Default Kwasniewski diet?

Hey guys!

Has anyone here heard of the Kwasniewski diet, or had any success with it? It's basically ultra high-fat, low-carb and lower protein. I've heard of people doing amazingly well on such a diet, though it goes against most of what we think we know about nutrition and health...
trthskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #2  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I've never heard of it, but it sounds very promising and similar to the diet I'm living right now (primal blueprint www.marksdailyapple.com).
I keep my carbs under 50 g like the Kwas. diet says, fat intake is high and protein is dependent on body weight .7-1g per lean body mass(this may be more than Kwas.)

I have been studying so much regarding fat/cholesterol/protein/carbs since March that I have tons of faith in these scientists now who are promoting higher fat lower carbs, I think we all will find sugar and processed carbs are the detrimental factors, not fat.

If you are looking to lose weight I would suggest looking into the site I posted or try the Kwas. diet. After years of eating what I've been told is healthy and still not losing weight I started doing research and thats how I discovered what I'm doing. I'll be sticking to the Primal Blueprint for life because it makes so much sense to me. So far I've dropped 44 lbs since March 28th, who would've ever thought fat could make you lose fat? I love this lifestyle.

Give it a try if you have weight to lose or just are looking for a more optimal lifestyle.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #3  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Here's the English-language website for Dr. Kwasnieski's diet, Homo Optimus.

and here is the Australian Homo Optimus webpage.

It is a moderate protein, low carb, high fat diet.

The ratios for those of normal weight are 1: 2.5 - 3.5: 0.5 - .8 of protein: fat: carbs, respectively.

For those who are overweight or obese, he recommends these ratios to start with protein: fat: carbs at 1 : 2 : 0.5 and then 1: 1-2 : .8

For a good, easy to follow explanation of why a low carb, high fat diet works, here is Dr. MacKarness' brilliant book, Eat Fat and Grow Slim, in the original 1958 version.

If you'd prefer to read it in text, straight through, rather than clicking around, here is http://www.cybernaut.com.au/optimal_...ry/eat_fat.pdf

Barry Groves recommends similar percentages to Dr. Kwasnieski's.

Both Dr. Kwasnieski and Dr. Groves include grains in their plans. Dr. MacKarness in his later books on allergies, recommends a gluten-free plan for many.

Amazing stuff.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #4  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Kwasniewski's formula for calculating protein requirements is:

Take your height in centimeters and subtract 100.

Example. 160 cm - 100 = 60. This is what Dr. Kwasniewski calls due body weight. That is the figure, plus or minus 10%, for figuring your protein requirements. I currently multiply my due body weight by 0.8 to get my "ballpark" daily protein figure. I give myself a range of about ten grams. I find eating this amount of protein feels very calming. His ratios work very well for me.

Hope some other Kwasniewski readers come to the forum!

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-04-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: corrected typing error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote