General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Default Do you think this is rude? I did!

A friend of mine posted a photograph online today which really infuriated me. It was a photo that he took of an overweight woman from the back, using a walker in some sort of restaurant with the caption "STOP EATING!" and subsequent comments about how "she cant even walk, she needs to stop eating, etc..."

One person chimed in saying that she loved eating there and was responded with "well, you can because you are in good shape!" With many people responding with a lot of agreement, I chimed in and said I did not feel it was appropriate, that I felt horrible for this woman, that no one should be shamed like this, and that it was mean spirited - especially since he does not know this woman, does not know her struggles and does not understand the pain of obesity alone, let alone having your photograph taken for eating out. The general response was that "It was equally not nice for her to eat like that and force all of us to have to watch her".

How can people be so mean spirited?? Its reasons like this that I don't like to eat in front of people!!! Taking pictures, posting them online and making a discussion out of her life style habits?? Horrifying, I think.

What about you? How would you have responded?
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Some friend you have there. Sounds really juvenile.

You know, I had a friend who kept saying "f***ot" all the time. Just to bug his friends, insults, a way to call his friends stupid. I finally flipped out, called him on it, told him I don't care if it initially meant a piece of wood, but that it was insulting, derogatory, that itr sounded stupid and ineducated ciming from his mouth, that it was inconsiderate and to SHUT IT. He was apalled at my reaction, has eased off a bit, but still has a rotten mouth half the time. I like the guy, but I'm waiting for the moment I have to apologise to a friend for the kinds of words he's using

LOL, so being a little more intolerant, I think I would facebook unfriend that person, and if asked say that I don't want to see those kind of mean spirited comments. What the heck would they say about you or me eating, eh? Grrr!!!!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 364/353/165

I'd be horrified if one of my friends did this. What a cruel thing to do! I have difficulty going out in public, I have to talk myself into it cause there is this constant voice in the back of my head saying that I don't belong there, that I don't deserve to be out with the 'normal' people...and behavior like your friends is a lot of the reason I feel that way. Good for you for saying something!
Kitsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I would have said the same to friend.

It's crass.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #5  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

I think your "friend" that posted that did you a favor is showing you what he is really made of. Cheap shots at others make him feel better about his sorry self, hope he grows up and develops some compassion, but in our society today, it's almost an ok thing to get onto the "larger" persons (and smokers), kind of a trend...
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #6  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Sounds like you need new "friends".
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #7  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

That friend would be unfriended in a heartbeat..why surround yourself by people like that, they just drag you down and place bad karma in your space

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaTurnHeads View Post
A friend of mine posted a photograph online today which really infuriated me. It was a photo that he took of an overweight woman from the back, using a walker in some sort of restaurant with the caption "STOP EATING!" and subsequent comments about how "she cant even walk, she needs to stop eating, etc..."

One person chimed in saying that she loved eating there and was responded with "well, you can because you are in good shape!" With many people responding with a lot of agreement, I chimed in and said I did not feel it was appropriate, that I felt horrible for this woman, that no one should be shamed like this, and that it was mean spirited - especially since he does not know this woman, does not know her struggles and does not understand the pain of obesity alone, let alone having your photograph taken for eating out. The general response was that "It was equally not nice for her to eat like that and force all of us to have to watch her".

How can people be so mean spirited?? Its reasons like this that I don't like to eat in front of people!!! Taking pictures, posting them online and making a discussion out of her life style habits?? Horrifying, I think.

Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #8  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

Karma Will come for him.. IM a firm believer in that!
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Wow--how completely insensitive your friend and the others posting comments are! I am proud of you for standing up to this.

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #10  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

So if you're skinny you can eat, and if you're fat you can't? That's ridiculous.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 AM   #11  
banned

That was my worst fear in high school. It was a reason I never let anyone (except family/church) see me eat. I would pout if we had to go into public to eat and feel so uncomfortable.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Wow...just wow. I'm a believer in karma...make sure when he's porked up you get a good rear shot of HIM lining up at the buffet and post it on Facebook.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #13  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Oh my, that was horrible, just horrible! Disgusting and juvenile and downright despicable. I hate hate hate people who judge others, especially based on something like weight or looks. THIS is why overweight people don't feel comfortable going out. Sure sure, everyone says "No one is looking at you or judging you, it's all in your mind. No one is paying any attention to you." And then something like this happens and you realize there are people out there who are staring and making fun. It's a horrible world we live in when it's okay to hate on people because they're a different size than you.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #14  
Wreck'n'Rule

S/C/G: 168/138/133

Height: 5'5

Juvenile, yes, but he had a point - the lady should watch what she eats and if she was having to use a walker because she really was THAT big, someone should gently breach the subject with her. It was just poorly executed in an immature way and was very very rude.

Making fun of overweight people is rude and pointless. However pointing out to them in a sensible way that maybe they ought to consider changing their diet so they can get down to a weight that allows them normal mobility is not and I think it should be done more, and I think that restaurants, particularly in the USA, should take more responsibility for their diner's health.
Wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaTurnHeads View Post

I'd take him and anyone else who thoght it was funny off my friends list. What jerks!!!!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote