Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #1  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Do I Need To Tweak or Am I Ok?

I would like to get some input and expert advice regarding my plan. Thanks in advance.

Here's my situation:
At the beginning of June, I weighed 228. The scale steadily but slowly dropped to 222 on June 27. Since then, over the past 2 weeks, it has bounced back and forth between 222 and 224 (and even 225). Ultimately, I've lost only 4 pounds in 6 weeks, and I seem a bit stuck.

However, I am steadily losing inches. From the beginning of June until today, I have lost 6 inches from my waist, 4 inches from my hips, 3 inches from my chest (just below the boobs), and 3 inches from my boobs (measured across the biggest part).

Food I'm doing about 1,400 calories per day, but usually have one 1,200 calorie day and one 1,600 calorie day each week.

Exercise I'm doing C25K, about 20 minutes of walk/jog intervals at a pace of about 14 for 3 days a week. I tried doing cross training on my non-C25K days (a Jillian Michaels DVD) but I always ached so badly I could barely move for 2 days afterward and it was really hindering my progress on C25K.

I assume I'm replacing fat with muscle? Should I be concerned about the slow weight loss and not really having lost anything for 2 weeks? Are my inches lost numbers good, bad, or normal? Is my calorie intake ok? Is my exercise ok?

Any and all thoughts appreciated!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

A 2 week period with no loss isn't something to worry about, especially if you are losing inches. Basically, the scale weighs every part of you, fat, muscle and mostly water. So you could certainly lose fat, gain water weight and weigh the same but lose inches. So I'd wait a couple weeks and see what happens.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Losing slowly - is by all means losing - so that's a good thing!

I agree with Nelie.

But I would ask you are you absolutely CERTAIN about your caloric intake? Are you accurately tracking your calories? Your portion sizes are correct? You're accounting for each and every bite, lick, taste, crumb and sip? Is there any way whatsoever that you could be underestimating what you're consuming? If you are, than I'd keep at it and eventually the weight will have to come off. As long as you keep on creating that calorie deficit, your body will have no choice but to turn to your stored fat and use that for its energy supply, thus losing the weight.

I would definitely add in some strength training though as far as your exercise goes. A simple resistance band will add muscle (eventually) and that is one of the best things you can do for yourself as the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even while at rest.

You're doing great! Keep at it, keep at it, keep at it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

At this point no, I would not be concerned. You will have MANY two weeks along the way when the scale seems to stall. This is not necessarily an indication that anything is wrong. Your body maybe adjusting, your period may be on its way, you may be ovulating, you may have had too much salt and are retaining water, the list goes on and on. I'll often lose a few lbs then stall and lose only inches for a few weeks.

If you are concerned though, I agree with robin. How accurately are you tracking? And her suggestion of strength training is excellent. I just added it back in April and I really wish I had done it A LOT sooner, I'm not sure my end results in terms of loose skin and body composition will be any different in the end, but it would surely be nice to have been a little further along in that department now as I'm nearing goal. Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Keep doing what you are doing! Losing inches is great!
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #6  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'm just freaking out before I need to, eh? (Who? Me? Worry? )

I weigh, measure, and count all my food and log it on sparkpeople.com so I really think I'm ok there.

I'll have to look into some kind of strength training that doesn't make me hurt so much that I can't run.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

It sounds like you are doing fantastic! So far I have mostly lost my weight through diet modification without exercise. I decided to look at my measurement diary to see where I was at six weeks. I had lost 5 inches around my waist, 3 inches from my hips. At that time I had lost 17 pounds.

I know that our bodies are different, but it sounds like you are on really good track. In comparison you may have lost less weight but you had lost more inches than I had and are more toned and in better health! You also likely have more muscle that burns more calories at rest.

When you are working out and building muscle the scale is a much less accurate measure of progress. You are getting slimmer. That is the important thing, right?
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote