Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/235/140

Height: 5'2''

Question Broken ankle and weight loss?

Hey everyone, Im new here, as of last night. My goal is to go from 235-140. Yes, I know it wouldn't be considered the 100+ club, but I started my original diet weighing in at 250lbs back in December 09. I had gone down to 225 before foot surgery in which case I gained back 10lbs. Now, I've recently broken my left ankle back on the day before Father's day this year and I'm stuck in a cast. Does anyone have any idea on how I can work out with this until it heals? I'm going on week 3 as of tomorrow and I have a couple weeks left. My main goal is to work on my middle, where I carry the most, but I need to trim all over. Anyone else have a ankle issue while trying to lose weight? Thanks for reading! and any tips/tricks will be GREATLY appreciated!

---Chels
Chels27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I did. I just waited (very impatiently) for the doctor to give me the go ahead. I don't know how disabled you are at the moment, but I wasn't very hungry from the meds and I was going everywhere on crutches and I lost a lot of weight. It was exhausting to get myself around, actually. I just followed my doctor's advice on when to bear weight, get on the stationary bike, etc...

I got some great arms out of the deal from the crutches!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #3  

According to the Dr, im not allowed to walk on it at all until atleast 4 weeks, and see how it looks/feels then. I have crutches in which case I'm using them constantly. I hate just sitting around the house! I stopped my pain meds after 4 days b/c they were making me very sick so now it's just Tylenol when needed. I googled it just to search for information and some sites were saying to continue on the diet, and do arm weights or crunches.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Thinking back, the thought of doing crunches after an injury like that just sounds painful! Definitely do what you can with the arm weights. I'm sure it will help your endurance. Just keep on those crutches

Good luck through the healing process! First and foremost, get that ankle re-habbed properly
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I hope you have a quick, full and painless recovery.

But luckily for you, this doesn't at all mean that your weight loss has to stop. A commonly thrown around number is that weight loss is 80% FOOD and only 20% exercise. So keep those calories in check (firmly), stay with your plan - no veering and you should continue to lose nicely.

To prove that point, I miss a workout (or two) there is no weight gain, but I have an unplanned food item - my weight goes up.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #6  

Thanks to both of you with the advice. I do plan on sticking to my 50/25/25 diet, along with a lot of water. I do notice crutches make me sweat and want a glass of cold water after sitting down from going on them, so hopefully it helps. But yes, I'm going to wait until it's fully healed before I get back on the treadmill, but I sure do miss it!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I lost my first 70 lbs or so when I could barely walk I did go to the gym and work my upper body and I was able to do some lower body work but yeah I basically hobbled around because I had injured my knee. Watch your food, look into doing some upper body exercise and do the best you can
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Always see what you doctor says in regards to your exercises and calories.

I am having ankle/foot reconstructive surgery in a couple of weeks. I asked these same questions - the nurse said the most important thing when your body is healing is the quality of the food you eat. She said - fruits, veggies, protein, whole grains (your basic healthy food) will aid in your healing. She said that watching my calories was OK as long as it wasn't very, very low.

She told me that eventually I'll be able to go back to my upper body and stretches and strengthening. (and more) But, wait for the go ahead from my doctor.

Also - I've lost my weight without alot of exercise beside stretches, strengthening and arm weights. I am very conscious of my calories!

I hope you are all healed soon.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-10-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote