General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default I LOVE to buy books.... I have a problem...

I just spent around $90 on books the past couple days. But... all books I'll enjoy reading, and'll end up swapping out for different books on swaptree or something. So... no real loss there. I love books.

Here's what all I got:

Solo Schooling by Wendy Jago
Deerskin by Robin McKinley
Animal Freaks by Jan Bondeson
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
The Riddle and The Singing by Alison Croggon (books two and four of a series )
Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie
The Inferno by Dante Alighieri (for school mainly)
The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (for school mainly)
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Oath by Frank Paretti (read this before... it's pretty good)
The Horse Owner's Survival Guide by Carolyn Henderson
Horseman's Veterinary Encyclopedia by Will A. Hadden III. DVM
Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

And... that's all.

Haha... And this was me trying to get only the books I really WANTED.

I have a problem...

Oh... and I'm getting The Tales of Beedle the Bard (JK Rowling) and the Tenth Circle (Jodi Picoult) in swaptree trades.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult is an excellent book. And I'm the same way with books, I love, love, love them. I lucked out too, my boyfriend's mother works at Borders, so I get advance copies once she's done with them *yay*
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Are any of these at the library? Then you only have to buy the more unusual ones that your library does not carry.

I had to tone down my own book spending so that's been my strategy.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i hated wicked.. i felt like it went on forever! but i like gregory mcguire as an author. i really want to buy android kerarnina too, it looks like so much fun.

i really love books too, it's so hard to just not buy everything in sight sometimes.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #5  

No... the local library doesn't have most of these books (they have a couple, but those couple are the school books and maybe one of the others), it's a small town... small library... so yeah.

I don't buy books that often. The last time I spent more than $10 on the occasional book every other month was last summer... and that was a $25 expense. And... everything I buy is on sale. The actual amount I spent (took of the cost for the few CDs I got as well) was more around $70 for all of them. So... I don't mind a big expense here and there... especially with some of these books that I've been looking for ALL OVER THE PLACE (and you'd THINK they'd be there, being "popular" books), and couldn't find them. The Lovely Bones, The Horse Whisperer and Wicked are the more popular ones I thought I'd be able to find.

But yeah... I need some more "popular" books I can use on swaptree... so I myself have more available to get and read.

I do aim for library books... but when you're in a small town, and most of the books you like are "weird" ones or the REALLY REALLY POPULAR (where they're NEVER in, and I don't always like waiting 3 months before it goes through all of the people on the "reserved" list), it's kind of easier to just buy them used.

And then... there are some like Beedle the Bard and the Robin McKinley books that I'll never sell... because they're not just "reads"... but "collections".

Yeah... I do have issues though.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #6  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

I love to read also! Like Astrophe, I've had to quit buying due to husband in college and had turned to the library. I can't walk out of a library without an arm full of books. I've never left with only 1.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Deerskin is my favorite book. Ever. Amazing. Let me know what you think of it - as I know so few people who have read it

Robin McKinley is one of my favorite authors, so all her stuff is great. You'll like the other two as well. If you like her a lot, try Patricia McKillip. She's great too. Solctice Wood is the first book of hers I read - it's a little more.... "urban" than her others. Alphabet of Thorn is great too - and of cource, the Riddle Master Trilogy .

Last edited by marbear24; 07-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #8  

I'll take a look at Patricia McKillip. I first read Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword... and fell in love. Have read it a total of 3 times... and I'm the kind of person who usually can only read a book ONCE... any more and it's overkill. (the Harry Potter books and the Chronicles of Narnia are pretty extreme exceptions to this though... ).
Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

IM me with your email address and I will tell you how to get books free. I do not work for the company, I do not own stock in the company. I just like to read. I recently got 2 books that retail for more than $20 each. Didn't cost me a penny.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #10  
2X4 no more

S/C/G: 320/284/140

Height: 5'4"

I live outside a VERY small town, only 2 traffic lights and one has not worked in years.
We have a tiny library with not much room for books. But there is something called the inter library loan system in every library. Ask your librarian how to access their site online and you can order books from any library your library loans with.
My library is inter connected to 30 other libraries.
If I order a book, the next available copy at any of the libraries is immediately listed on my account and it is sent on its way. Some books take a couple days some take longer if others have ordered it ahead of me.
When it reaches my library, they call me or email me to come get it. I check it out and return it to my library on the due date and they send it off to the next person who wants it or back to the library that owns it.
Right now I have 43 books in my house from the library and only 2 are from the library in my town, all the others are from the libraries they connect to.

I read a lot of art and jewelry making books, gardening, and health books, I go to Amazon and look at the lists of books in these categories, write down the titles I want to order, then go to my library website and order away.
If i really like a book, I buy it used from amazon or half.com

I love books too and have over 300 I think.

And I loved The Lovely Bones.
I also enjoyed White Oleander by Janet Fitch
woodgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #11  

Thanks woodgal! I didn't know about that.

I don't own many books... I have like... 20-40 of animal related books, and then about 20-30 fiction or non-fiction books... INCLUDING school books... so... I don't mind getting something here and there. I have a few in Serbia I'm going to take back with me, including The Blue Sword, Jane Eyre (LOVE THIS BOOK), and a few others.

And I'll send you a PM bargoo.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I am the same, as is my daughter...we LOVE books and honestly, there are worse things one could spend the money on. Most we keep...but only ones we think we will read again...hard to part with our books, lol.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #13  
2X4 no more

S/C/G: 320/284/140

There is a site online called "bookcrossing.com' where you leave a book in a public place for someone to pick up and read. You put a note inside and the website and see if you can track the book. You ask whoever picks up your book, to do the same.
It's motto is "make the world a library". Pretty cool. Like paying it forward.
woodgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/160/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
I just spent around $90 on books the past couple days. But... all books I'll enjoy reading, and'll end up swapping out for different books on swaptree or something. So... no real loss there. I love books.

Here's what all I got:

Solo Schooling by Wendy Jago
Deerskin by Robin McKinley
Animal Freaks by Jan Bondeson
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
The Riddle and The Singing by Alison Croggon (books two and four of a series )
Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie
The Inferno by Dante Alighieri (for school mainly)
The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (for school mainly)
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Oath by Frank Paretti (read this before... it's pretty good)
The Horse Owner's Survival Guide by Carolyn Henderson
Horseman's Veterinary Encyclopedia by Will A. Hadden III. DVM
Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

And... that's all.

Haha... And this was me trying to get only the books I really WANTED.

I have a problem...

Oh... and I'm getting The Tales of Beedle the Bard (JK Rowling) and the Tenth Circle (Jodi Picoult) in swaptree trades.
I had that problem. I had books coming to me that I ordered monthly online. I swear, I don't know why anyone buys in the store anymore? I do when I have a coupon but it's so much cheaper online! I've scaled ack but I still have to buy at least one book a month!

If you like Wicked, read his other books. Especially Lost. I read that in one day.

Devil wears prada is way better than the movie, and I liked the movie!

The lovely bones is one of the best books I've ever read.

That's all I've read from you list. I know this thread is older but I share your addiction and had to comment!

To those that suggest the library: Nope. Sometimes there is just no substitute for having your own book. They're cheap nowadays too, no reason to completely cut back and borrow. Besides, I love having the collection.

Interesting on the bookcrossing.com. I'll have to check that out. I've been trying to give away some books. It's hard to part with them.

bamm.com is good for buying them though. Always cheap, and no shipping if you spend $25.

Last edited by Restypines; 07-20-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Restypines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

I love books! I've cut back on what I spend recently by using paperbackswap.com and bookmooch.com. Is swaptree similar? Basically, you get points by listing and swapping your books and then you can request books from other members for free. It has been a great way to get a hold of some of the books I've wanted to read that have 3 month waiting lists at the library (that's even with interlibrary loan, some of them are just too popular) or just getting books that I wasn't sure I would like enough to really justify buying. Now my only problem is finding time to read all of these books
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote