Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Help with sweeteners, ready for a change

Ok, here goes my post. I bet I will open a whole can of worms here . I know everyone has their opinions on sweeteners I will be the first to admit that I am a Splenda junkie LOL. I have used it since I was diagnosed as a borderline t2 diabetic. ( I have since "cured" myself after losing weight) I use 1 tbsp of Splenda granular in my tea and cocoa every day and I bake and cook with it quite often. I also drink 2-3 Crystal Light packs every day. Lately, I have been feeling a little sick with a lingering headache, irritable, and some dizziness. I honestly don't know if it's related to the sweeteners but I am certain that they are not good for me and I have some concerns.
Now I am a little confused and don't know which route to take. I don't want to go back to regular sugar filled drinks or unsweetened tea (yuck). Honey and agave have a lot of calories and don't seem "worth it" for the amount of drinks I consume. I am also scared to give up the crystal light. It seems like the only way I can get my water down is with half a pack in my bottle. I have tried lemon in my water and its not appealing. Plain water makes me gag (sorry lol)

I am wondering about stevia and how I could substitute that for the splenda. Would that be safer or a good idea. Can I make drinks with it somehow that would replace the crystal light? my thinking is to just use splenda for some recipes and use stevia for tea and cold drinks. Perhaps I could make iced tea or lemonade with it. I phoned the Bulk Barn which is the only health food place in town and they do carry both stevia and agave.

I am really open to suggestions. My intentions are good but I need some direction (just not a lecture please ).
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #2  
it's always something

Artificial sweeteners used to be a big part of my lifestyle. As a southerner, tea without sweetener was nearly blasphemous, lol. I added it to my coffee, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. But then I got sick. I'll spare you the details, but artificial sweeteners, primarily Splenda, were a big part of my illness. It took thousands of dollars and countless medical tests to pin it down. The severity of my illness made me completely change what I put in my mouth.

My choices were only two: Use a real sweetener, or retrain my sweet tooth. I did both.

The first surprise happened in a restaurant after I ordered Iced tea. It was not sweetened, and it was actually very good! You'd think tea is tea, but it isn't. If you get served a good tea, make sure to ask what brand it is! Now I drink all of my tea, cold or hot, without any sweetener.

Water. I remember a time when drinking plain water made me gag, too So I bought a water filter and a glass jug and started keeping filtered water in the refrigerator, along with a tray of ice made from filtered water. I drink water more than anything else now, most days it's all I do drink. You get used to it, you really do You might have to force yourself at first, but you'll love it before long!

If I end up with something that really does need sweetener, I reach for agave or honey. But I use much less than I used to.

So I guess it all comes down to retraining your sweet tooth. It might seem difficult at first, but it gets easier and soon you'll prefer it. Really
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I agree Splenda is bad for you; if I had too much in any given day, I would break out in hives! Read what Jillian Michaels says about it as well in Mastering Your Metabolism (once I read her book, I cut Splenda out of my diet entirely).

If you want a low cal sweetener, I suggest stevia. It is hard to get used to at first (not as sweet as Splenda), but it doesn't take long. Also, I love agave and have it every day (in moderation, of course) with my yogurt.

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 07-10-2010 at 02:10 PM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #4  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Thanks for the replies. I am going to buy the stevia today and give it a shot. Now to find a replacement for my crystal light and I will be all set
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote