Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #1  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

Default all about ketosis

how long can one stay in ketosis??
has anyone seen real results while in ketosis?
do other people notice ketosis breath??
does your body freak out exiting ketosis??

I've googled ketosis, but I want to hear from those that have done it, or are in it.
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I am going to move this to the atkins board, I think you'll get more responses there

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #3  
LisaD219

Height: 5'6

Default Ketosis answers!

Hey girl... Well I have been in Ketosis for 4 days and dropped 6 lbs. I did not give up caffeine and have had no headaches or side affects. I do notice a different type of breath which seems like its in the back of my throat, but its not bad. I thought I read that you can be on Ketosis for up to a year, but Im not 100%. I plan on staying on it for about a month. As someone who is depressed about weight dropping this weight so fast is really helping me stick to it!

Good luck
LisaD219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

I have been in ketosis since induction back when I started Atkins. Its the fat burning mode that your body goes into when you low carb. I have done pretty well weight loss wise...it works for me!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/149/115

Height: 4'11"

I have been in ketosis for about 3 days or so. I have had a few headaches but I am not sure if it was just stress or from the side effects. No bad breath...I am only planning on staying for a few weeks on induction depending on how much I lose. I have lost 3 pounds. I feel like there is getting ready to be a couple pound loss really soon.
mickletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/209/150

Height: 5ft 6in

Good Day,

I have been reading a book that states that you may safely remain in ketosis for up to 6 months, but it seems that views on this can vary. I have been in this stage for the past 5 weeks and have lost 16 lbs. I would likely have lost more had I been exercising and not sneaking in a carb or two here and there. I don't believe I've experienced the bad breath, but perhaps I just didn't notice it. It was very noticeable during my pregnancy (I had gestational diabetes and was on a low-carb diet), which worried me. It's a distinct smell, kinda sweet, so I'd notice it again if I had it. My experience with this is that weight loss is quick, especially if you limit your carb intake appropriately. Good Luck
TEEBURDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Hi - here are my opinions

how long can one stay in ketosis?? I don't think any real scientific studies exist, but there are a lot of people who eat very low carb (induction levels) for years.

has anyone seen real results while in ketosis? I have a real difference in hunger & mood swings when I eat low carb (usually around 30g of carb per day, but sometimes as low as 15-20). When I test my pee for ketosis I usually find it, but I don't see a difference of results if I do or don't test in ketosis (I think the big difference is in the amount of water I've consumed). I lost 35 pounds last year without a huge effort, and have maintained that weight for about a year despite some REALLY hard circumstances, so I'd call that a success. I'm on the downward move again now.

do other people notice ketosis breath?? Not really - but I sometimes notice a ketosis smell (acetone like) after the gym coming from my body

does your body freak out exiting ketosis?? Other than packing on a LARGE number of pounds in no time flat, no. (The same water weight that comes with carbs in the body that is the fast weight loss of low carb at first is the super-fast 5-10 pound gain when you go off plan).
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 232/232/175

Height: 5'5

I just started Atkins a couple days ago and am showing trace ketones in my urine. The only difference I notice is my mouth feels constantly dry.

My 1 year old is on a ketogenic diet for his seizures and he stays in a high level of ketosis permanently. He often has a strong chemical smell to his breath, kind of sweet. My mom thinks it smells like booze! I rarely test him anymore bc I can already tell he's in ketosis from his breath. I believe people on the ketogenic diet sometimes stay in ketosis for a matter of years. I also read that researchers think our ancestor's aka cavemen spent most of their life in a state of ketosis.

I read the smell is actually acetone which is a biproduct of the ketogenic process. I'm also a nurse and am around alot of diabetics who come in with ketoacidosis (not good) and they have that same smell except usually much stronger.
shareislam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #9  

I get knocked out of ketosis pretty quickly. I could eat too many carbs (even by eating too many almonds) and the next day I'm out of ketosis. It may all depend on how your body responds but I think it's about the same for everyone. Sometimes it can take a few days to get back into ketosis too.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

It all depends on your CCL (Critical Carb Level). Everyone is different and you find out yours by slowly climbing the Carb ladder and adding carbs slowly until you get bumped out of ketosis and then all you would need to do is lower your carb intake to the point where you are back in ketosis and burning fat again.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote