Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #1  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Arrow What happenend???

I am not complaining but really it's more of inquiry from those of you all of knowledge.

here are the facts:
Yesterday I weighed in at 166.8, this morning 167.2

Now yesterday I ate under my calorie goal, no soda or junk/fast food

Of course I have not started my exercise program yet (that us August's goal)

What would make the body put .4 lbs back on over night..keep in mind I am over 40 and post menopause (so no PMS or bloat whohooo)

Just want everyones opinion about this situation and what you think would cause this. I am not freaking out just more of an inquiry and thoughts.

Have a great day ya'll!
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #2  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I could be not enough water the day before.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

0.4 lbs really doesn't count in my mind. It could be any number of things. Fluid you drank, fluid your body is holding on to, did you poop (sorry, it's true!), inacuracies of the scale (scale isn't perfect - sometimes I step off mine and step back on it and it changes 0.4 lbs), clothes your wearing.

I had one scale that if I put more weight on my heels than on the balls of my feet, I would weigh less. LoL!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I agree that .4 pounds is negligible. Even though you are post-menopausal you still have hormones coursing through your body. If you ate a pickle you could probably retain .4 lbs of water right there.

Also, consider food bulk. I can stay under my calories by eating 70 calories of dark chocolate or 70 calories of broccoli. But that broccoli is going to weigh more and probably sit in my intestines for a bit before my body is done with it.

I don't know if you can see my weight graph on my fitday, but my loss has not been linear. Generally downward, but up a pound here, down a pound-and-a-quarter there...

For me, part of the beauty of counting calories and staying on plan is that when the scale does bounce up, I know it must be something other than actual weight, because I'm not eating enough cals to gain!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You have to remember that the scale weighs ALL of you, not just the fat you want to lose. Most of our weight is in fact water! The scale fluctuates all the time as a result. In many respects, it's not a great measure of fat loss, but it's convenient.

So, as the posters above said, this is negligible.

This is one reason why we can't focus too much on the scale.

See this great post for additional information!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...er-weight.html
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/220/175

Height: 5'10"

If it was a few extra pounds. I'd contemplate such a thought yet 0.4lbs is nothing too contemplate in my opinion.

Although there would be quite a variety of factors which could equal as too why.

But overall nothing really to consider, it'll most likely be gone tomorrow.

Love,
Anonymia
Anonymia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Please read this stickie about weight fluctuations:

Really, .4 is nothing.

Oooh, and don't put off exercise - it's nothing to dread. The sooner you start doing it, the sooner you get into it. I'm pretty certain you will wonder why you didn't incorporate it earlier. Why not give yourself every benefit that there is?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

If your BFF called you up and said "OMG, I called my boyfriend and the phone rang five times before he picked it up and last time he only let it ring three times what could it be? Is he mad because he doesn't like pink and I wore a pink shirt yesterday? Do you think he's lost interest in me? How can I get him to answer on the third ring?", you'd tell her "Relax, that kind of variation doesn't mean anything, and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to find a cause to something that doesn't have any real cause at all".

So, having been exactly where you are, I am going to tell you--Relax, that kind of variation doesn't mean anything, and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to find a cause to something that doesn't have any real cause at all!
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Weight loss rule #1 - the scale will fluctuate everyday. Sometime up sometime down, sometimes down then up, sometimes by a lot sometimes by a little and don't even get me started on fluctuations durning your period! If your going to weigh daily you need to know and accept this and track it on a graph so you can see a downward trend.

Last edited by ncuneo; 07-09-2010 at 09:11 AM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #10  
Defying Gravity

Thank you for this information. The reason I set joining the Y off until August 1st as it is part of my mini goals, July was no soda or fast food, which is going great and then Aug 1st I will start the treadmill dance, babysteps for me or I will get overwhelmed and throw the towel in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Please read this stickie about weight fluctuations:

Really, .4 is nothing.

Oooh, and don't put off exercise - it's nothing to dread. The sooner you start doing it, the sooner you get into it. I'm pretty certain you will wonder why you didn't incorporate it earlier. Why not give yourself every benefit that there is?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
don't even get me started on fluctuations during your period!
Exactly!!! Normal fluctuations I can deal with but during TOM, grrrrrrrr
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

wow, that's nothing. I mean it's still disheartening. But i bounce up and down 3 lbs easily---without it being related to my cycle. That is disheartening too. it's a lot harder to lose the smaller you are, so you are doing really well!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #13  
Defying Gravity

Hey everyone thanks for your support, the scale was back down .8 this morning so I am not going to sweat the fluctuations anymore. I really need to stay off the scale every morning because it doesn't make a difference. I had originally set my goal as weight in on Monday morning but I guess I am just too curious on a daily basis, thank you all again for your support
Old 07-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losing It 2010 View Post
the scale was back down .8 this morning so I am not going to sweat the fluctuations anymore. I really need to stay off the scale every morning because it doesn't make a difference. I had originally set my goal as weight in on Monday morning but I guess I am just too curious on a daily basis, thank you all again for your support
Glad to hear of this and not surprised. Provided you stay within your calorie range - you WILL create a calorie deficit and you WILL lose weight, eventually.

I personally think weighing every day is a good thing. For me, it's just part of my health minded routine. It reminds me that the foods I put in my mouth (or don't) have consequences. It's a way to keep me honest. Can't escape the scale. But you can't let those unavoidable and perfectly normal fluctuations get to you.

Another thing, if you weigh once a week, you may weigh on a day when the scale is UP and that can be disheartening and misleading.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #15  
Defying Gravity

Thanks for your support, I am on the fence about the whole weighing thing and each point you made rings a bell.. Knowing how I am I probably will continue to weigh in each day but just post the weight to my online food journal on Monday mornings.. you are a peach and HEY, SHORT PEOPLE RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Glad to hear of this and not surprised. Provided you stay within your calorie range - you WILL create a calorie deficit and you WILL lose weight, eventually.

I personally think weighing every day is a good thing. For me, it's just part of my health minded routine. It reminds me that the foods I put in my mouth (or don't) have consequences. It's a way to keep me honest. Can't escape the scale. But you can't let those unavoidable and perfectly normal fluctuations get to you.

Another thing, if you weigh once a week, you may weigh on a day when the scale is UP and that can be disheartening and misleading.