Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It is so easy to eat at a leisurely pace when out on the patio while the garden is lush; CREDIT moi for not rushing my eating - even if it was easy and a pleasure. My guess is that the goal is to make our response to all the Beck strategies just as much a pleasure so that they are our first choice rather than having to use Oh, Well.

Another example of easy is walking to my gym - CREDIT moi. I looked forward to it yesterday because there are several well tended gardens along the way, and they're all different each time I walk by. Was remembering that before my journey I almost never walked that distance because it was so easy to drive it, LOL.

onebyone - Kudos for "the top of my fridge clutter-free" - each space is a big step forward. You did make me ponder - what do we keep in the small cabinets above our fridge? So I just went and peeked. They hold the large platters and extra plates that have always magically appeared when we are serving a crowd and I never knew where they lived. Thanks for tweaking me on that one.

FutureFitChick - Kudos for being "really good" at eating mindfully yesterday. Congrats for getting thru your angst about shifting your meal plan - dinner with hummus appeals to me.

Yep, we start our kale from seed. I marvel every time I look at these huge plants and realize that the recipe is entirely contained in the DNA of one cell which is invisibly small even in the tiny seed which is mostly just enough food for two leaves to break the surface of the soil so the plant can feed itself on carbon dioxide and water. Yay for Mother Nature. Yay for being part of the scheme. Yay for Watson and Crick for the simple explanation.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for home made refrigerator pickles; those are sooooooo good. We get some from time to time when my DS - who subscribes to a CSA - makes up a batch and shares. I hadn't realized that they were less salted than the jarred pickles from the supermarket.

Shepherdess - Waving with supportive thoughts as you continue to think of Maggie. I thought of Maggie when out walking and stopped to pet a very friendly Australian Shepard Tri-color. Aussies can be such friendly dogs.

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for recognizing the " 'medicating' with food" - with Double Kudos for choosing the perspective "I have had some unhelpful behaviors with food." Yep, there's a lot on your agenda all screaming "feed me" like a nest of baby birds - but they're just sabotaging thoughts disguised as baby birds. You're on to them.

Donna (new2me2) - Congrats on the new low scale reading. I admit that if I tried your idea of stair walking while brushing my teeth perhaps I would get in enough minutes to make my Dental Hygienist stop telling me to brush longer.

Readers -
Quote:
day 31
Decide About Drinking

The Facts About Alcohol

Unfortunately, alcohol contains calories - a lot. At 7 calories a gram, it's nearly twice as caloric, gram for gram, as protein and carbohydrates (both of which are about 4 calories per gram). Plus, most of the mixers that go into alcoholic drinks are highly caloric. One mixed drink can easily contain 400 calories.

Many dieters try to make up for those calories by eating less. But eating less can lead you to eat more later. Plus, alcohol itself tends to lower your inhibitions, making you much more likely to overeat or eat something you hadn't planned.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 220.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-02-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

BillBlueEyes, a very impressive forum you are moderating-a sticky! Congratulations on the upgrade.lol Thanks for sharing your interesting thoughts about choosing Beck principles first because they actually become enjoyable. I have been noticing that, too. Especially when I am standing in the kitchen and mindlessly start to eat something. I stop because it just doesn't feel right anymore.

I, too, have sad puppy news. My old guy, Rudi, disclocated his hip yesterday morning. He is with our vet, and while she is quite positive right now I find myself cautiously optimistic. My heart is already broken....*credit* to Beck that I know that food won't make this better and I'm making pretty decent choices right now. One day at a time here....

Shepherdess, I am so sorry....and feel your pain. I'm sending hugs over my hill.

Take care everyone.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Today is a good day. I got another new low for the 1st of the month, the day I change my ticker. And, I met my June exercise goal. My reward for meeting my exercise goal is the Wii game that new2me2 is using: Walk It Out. I hope to get by a game store this afternoon to pick it up.

WI: -0.15kg (new low), Exercise: +40 1605/1600 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: credit for finding things easy, and remembering to give yourself credit anyway!

Lexxiss: sorry for your sad news about Rudi. Sending hugs and warm thoughts.

FutureFitChick: glad you were feeling more positive the next day. Refrigerator pickles are easy because there is no canning involved. Slice the cucumbers and onions, boil the marinade of vinegar and spices for one minute and pour it on top, then refrigerate for four days. They keep for about a month. I'm not quite sure what makes them a pickle versus, say, marinated cucumbers, but that's what they're called.

new2me2: congrats on the new low!

onebyone: yay for a clutter-free refrigerator top. That used to be a trouble spot for me, too. In our new house, the refrigerator is too tall for me to reach so it's completely clear!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Becksters! Another good day yesterday, although no credit for exercise, lol. By the time I got home I just couldn't decided what I wanted to do. I probably should have just gone out for a walk, but didn't and ended up not doing anything. I have a plan today though...start out with some Gold's Gym Cardio Shapeboxing (another Wii game), then as much Walk It Out as I can stand, lol. Tomorrow is my WW meeting, and I've asked the leader to bring a workout DVD set that they showed last week so that I can purchase it, then I'll have something new and fun to do tomorrow evening.

This morning's spontaneous exercise was leg lifts while washing dishes.

The new low is holding this morning. Yay! I'm about halfway to my goal now!

onebyone Oh gosh, I have one of those over the fridge cabinets too and I have no idea what I've got stored up there...probably something I will never use but don't want to get rid of (some old trophies come to mind--I won a bowling trophy for a high score in a tournament, and some karate trophies and I keep them because NO ONE would believe I ever did those things and this way I have proof, lol). Good for you for clearing that space!!!

BillBlueEyes Interesting about making the Beck techniques our first choice. I found myself yesterday reaching for something, then putting it back because I wasn't hungry. It made me happy, and I don't recall thinking once about Beck, lol. LOL on the teeth brushing...yep, I must admit, pleasing my dentist did cross my mind when coming up with that one, lol.

Lexxiss Oh, I so hope Rudi gets better!

gardenerjoy YAY on your new low!!!! That is so fantastic! And, congratulations on reachin your exercise goal! And, I LOVE your reward...I'll warn you though, I couldn't find that game in any of our local stores, I had to finally order from Amazon.com, but if you have a Gamestop by you they MAY have one either new or used.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters! First of all, thanks to all of you for your kind words and genuine support as I face this part of my life. I know that I need to be brave about this - even though it’s a long long recovery. I am not able to really work, do workshops, run around with my grandson, or even walk through the grocery store or mall. Right now my foot/ankle does not hurt. But, it’s because I am not going many places or moving around that much.

Yesterday was a healthy day…up until bedtime. This is three days in a row - I have eaten extra in the evening. I must be willing to push through and use my resistance techniques to stop and end this trend.

Today I am doing a ‘prep’ day for my colonoscopy tomorrow. The last prep made me sick. This prep is different. So and CANNOT eat today…just liquids (broth, gaterade, tea, popsicles, etc.). I need to get this out of the way.

gardener joy - it’s a happy happy day - you get to change your ticker. Yippee. This is a definite credit. Thank you for your reminder of persistence.

Lexxiss - sorry about Rudi - hope everything is OK. It’s really wonderful when the Beck stuff comes to your mind and helps you break an old habit.

Billbe - yes, slow mindful eating is one of the benefits of really doing the Beck things. My guess is that the goal is to make our response to all the Beck strategies just as much a pleasure so that they are our first choice rather than having to use Oh, Well.
I think that is something to really strive for - I am glad you can live that a good portion of your life.

New2me2 - I LOVE your spontaneous exercise. Carry on! Sounds like your Wii system is really helping with exercise.

Futurefitchick - good idea…planning ahead for the special dinner at the Pub! Thanks for the reminder that I’ll be able to watch any weight progress with clothing and measurements while I am not able to put any weight on my foot.

Shepardess - I am so so sorry about Maggie. I know there’s a hole in your heart now. Try to fill it with fun thoughts and stories with her in it.

Onebyone - good job on the space on top of the fridge and in those cupboards! the only way out is through
Very true.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-01-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I decided I really like having a plan, even though making it may feel like a pain (especially with a spontaneous meal eating husband). When ended up eating out last night, because my husband wanted to see Shrek 4 in 3D before it left our theaters. So, I plan to make last night’s dinner tonight.

Love the garden related posts. Speaking of gardens, I am trying to combat a major population of Japanese Beatles that are eating my new cherry tree to death as well as my grapevines. I didn’t spray for grubs this year. For some reason my brain thought I was done with those bugs. Silly me!

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +1.5 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: none planned
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: yes
Tracked today’s food: yes

BeverlyJoy, have you scheduled your surgery? Best of luck with colonoscopy preparation.

BillBlueEyes, I misread your note to me and thought it said “dinner with humans appeals to me”. I laugh at your notion of Watson and Crick making it “simple”. I appreciate their work, but the pandora’s box of myseteries they opened keeps lots of us busy these days!

GardenerJoy, thanks for the recipe. I’ll have to try that. It must be fun to move your ticker lower!

Lexxiss, so sorry to hear about your pup and glad that you are feeling your progress at the same time. How old is your guy and is he a large breed?

new2me2, congratulations on your new low! Thanks for your insight about your lunch menus. Reading your spontaneous exercise moments brings a smile to my face for your great ideas.

Onebyone, great job getting on track!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everyone

I just thought I'd check in tonight because I have a very busy day tomorrow. My Rudi came home tonight and is in a garden cart to keep him from re-dislocating his hip. Mom is on the couch with a barf pail and I'm in the middle with my laptop. Tomorrow is Dr appts for Mom, and 24 hr care for Rudi but *credit* I will trade duty with DH and get to the pool in the morning.

Food has been darn good! I'm amazed that I just don't feel like eating junk. What's up with that? lol

Sending best wishes to everyone...I'll be reading posts for sure...it really helps. Thanks for being here!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

'Lo, Beckies. Just checking in on a great summer night. The lake was like glass, and no one, not one soul, not a boater or fisherman in it 'cept moi...well, moi and 3 Loons..momma, daddy, and one baby, but they didn't pay me no never mind. *sigh.

Am actually catching up on the gardening.....weeding and watering..still gotta replant Swiss Chard and beets..not much point in trying to replant the rabbit-ravaged spinach..too hot now. Flowers are getting really revved up...will post pics soon...as soon as I can figger out this new $^@%^@%@ camera. I have a much greener thumb than a digital one,.

Am so happy for summer produce. So much easier to stay on track with my own freshly picked raspberries and lettuces..apple crop is looking good..tomatoes coming on...and whoever of our dear Beckies said that rabbits don't bother pepper plants once they are a foot tall was right!

Big company plans for entire weekend of the 4th.... traditional summer fare planned..burgers, brats, hot dogs, kabobs, potato salad, etc. big fruit bowls, etc, too..am laffin' cuz nunna that tempts me..will stick to my Green Monster and the fruit and stuff I want, 'cuz I can!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday and I am back

Hi Coaches
Well I am back from my few days away. I found that no matter how well I thought I had planned and how good my intentions, when I am on what my brain sees as vacation, I have trouble maintaining my program. I was way outside my food comfort zone - I had to eat out and in unknown restaurants, and it all became too hard. The good news is that I am not going to my sisters tomorrow - I had intended going for 5 days and now I don't need to. I can get back on track. It is always REALLY difficult at her place - big sister and all no matter how old I get.

My weight is only 217.8 so it is similar to what it was when I left - but I am sure there is more to come. I wasn't too bad - ate lots of protein and tried to reign in the inner glutton. But I didn't track anything because didn't have a clue what it counted for and probably didn't really want to.

I will catch up with personals tomorrow - I can see a lot has been happening and some of it sad and unfortunate. It is nice to be back and I will get back on track. On the bright side today has been good and I had a very healthy green smoothy for breakfast. But I need to shop and get organised

My new mattress came today - I am rather looking forward to going to bed!

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Old 07-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I had a legitimate reason to stop at Whole Foods while out for a walk (CREDIT moi) - I needed a pint of fresh ground peanut butter. Who'd have guessed that they were having cherry festival where you had to stop at ten stations to get an answer to each of the ten questions on your application for a FREE something or another. And, of course, each station had a FREE sample of a cherry concoction: fresh cherry, cherry cole slaw, cherry salad with feta, grilled salmon with cherry, cold cherry soup, cherry turkey salad, cherry jam over French goat cheese, cherry spritzer, cherry mascarpone, green salad with cherry balsamic vinegar dressing, cherry pie. <sigh> . . . I did them ALL; I really got into it. I now know that Michigan is the cherry growing state in the U.S. and that cherries contain high levels of Melatonin. (Did I mention that they were FREE and that the prize will be FREE if I win?) But I counted it as my afternoon snack.

I have no idea why it matters that cherries contain Melatonin. But I'd have that cherry salmon again in a heart beat.

maryblu - Super good news, "cuz nunna that tempts me" - that's a good place to be. Your lake with parents and loon chick sounds like paradise - even with the rabbits competing for your garden.

FutureFitChick - Ouch for Japanese Beatles attacking your cherry tree - no doubt I'm a little sensitive to protecting cherries at the moment, LOL. Kudos for choosing a plan that includes your reality of having a "spontaneous meal eating husband." Just need a spontaneous section of your plan. What mystery of the biochemistry world are you chasing?

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the new low ... again. I like the sound of again in that sentence. And Kudos for making your ambitious exercise goal for June. It was fun watching that counter increment.

Beverlyjoy - I hope you have an OK colonoscopy today. For me, the routine itself was the easy part - the prep part was the PITA. Ouch for facing evening snacking creeping in, but good news that you can see it and select strategies to face it down.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Welcome home. Kudos for all attempts to "to reign in the inner glutton" even when you're concerned that you were doing some vacation eating. Yep, I know about adult older siblings remaining BIG brothers for life, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay that Rudi is home - garden cart and all. Sending you supportive thoughts as you tend to your mother and Rudi both. Kudos for having the wherewithal to get yourself to the pool despite being on 24 hour duty. And Huge Kudos for having reached the mindset where mindlessly eating "just doesn't feel right anymore."

Donna (new2me2) - Kudos for "putting it back because I wasn't hungry" - that's such a good skill that you've incorporated into your brain that eating is about hunger. For years that connection didn't occur to me, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 31
Decide About Drinking

The Facts About Alcohol

You might think it's okay to make spontaneous decisions to drink. But just as you've had to learn to eliminate spontaneous eating and stick to your food plan, you have to learn to eliminate spontaneous drinking. Otherwise, you put yourself at risk, sooner or later, for gaining weight. You need to make decisions about whether and how much to drink today, before you find yourself presented with the question. Otherwise, you're likely to drink too much.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 220.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

O.....M.....G, BillBE...a cherry orgie! Sounds to die for...nothing I could have resisted, nor would I have wanted to. Sometimes, ya gotta let go! Judith will smack me, but really! What a treat! Those small tidbits of to-die-for-fancy-stuff...that I would never make..omg.

Yay summer.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

I'm taking the new car in for service and the appointment is at noon. A rather awkward time for eating around, so I need a plan. Think, think. Okay. I don't seem to be hungry now, so I'm going to have a late veggie-laden breakfast with an extra carb and call it brunch. Then, have my normal snacks and supper. That should work.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +40 40/1800 minutes for July, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

new2me2: My local Gamestop did have one copy of Walk It Out! It's fun and I was singing "Walking on Sunshine" all evening!

Beverlyjoy: hope your colonoscopy prep goes as well as it can.

FutureFitChick: we had Japanese Beetles last year -- they are voracious!

Lexxiss: yay for not feeling like eating junk when surrounded by ill people/dogs! Hope everyone is recovering today.

maryblu: happy summer! Love your garden tales and your plans for the 4th.

seadwaters: wonderful to see you back here! Sounds like you're getting a handle on things post-vacation. Hope your mattress is comfy!

BillBlueEyes: the cherry festival sounds like fun! Glad you could enjoy it while not letting it derail an overall healthy lifestyle.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning friends! I did well yesterday eating within my plan, with a few planned extras like watermelon at our company lunch-time barbeque. I also stuck to my plan of Wii Gold's Gym Shapeboxing and then Walk it Out, doing about 20 minutes of each, but today I did both at a higher impact level, so didn't need to go as long.

This morning I was down slightly more, which is good because today is WW weigh-in, lol. I "should" be down a pound from last week's weigh-in...I wish I could remember how much I ate and drank before last week's meeting so all factors are the same.

Beverlyjoy Thinking of you as you go through your prep! You can practice your hunger today. Yes, the Wii is really helping me to exercise longer. It's not as intense as what I'd been doing, but it's helping me be up and moving much longer than I would normally.

FutureFitChick

Lexxiss Glad Rudi is home! Great plan to have someone help with the watch duty! It's important to take care of yourself as well!

maryblu The lake sounds heavenly!

seadwaters (Cheryl) It doesn't sound like you did too bad on vacation to me! Credit for trying! Can't wait to hear how you like your new mattress!

BillBlueEyes OMGosh, I LOVE cherries. Your WF expidition sounds wonderful! Good to know they have Melatonin, lol...

gardenerjoy Sounds like you have a good plan for your car service today! I'm so happy you found a local copy and that you LIKE it, lol!! As you gather more songs, you can edit the play list to take any that are too slow, too fast or that you don't like. You could do that now but you wouldn't have many songs, lol.

Last edited by new2me2; 07-02-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/247/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Greetings

I am new here. Stage 1. Thanks in advance for support.
Closed Thread