Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Talking Is your nationality evident in your WOE?

I know many of us here are used to traditional "middle American" type foods, but many of us identify ourselves as belonging to a certain culture (or were raised that way). I am a mix of races, but I am half Italian. The matriarch of our family was my off the boat Italian Grandmother; Even though I always consider myself American first, I was raised very traditional Italian. I didn't even realize that until recently...that on holidays etc. people were doing and eating different things in their own homes. So my question is: If someone watched everything you cooked (that you Personally cooked, not what you ate) for a week...would they be able to tell what nationality you are? If so, what do you cook that makes it obvious? Or what flavors do you cook with?

As for me: My Grandmother died 18 months ago, I live in a totally different environment now...But if you looked at my food choices, and the things that I cook over a weeks time, I think you would be able to guess that I was either Greek or Italian.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Not for me. My adoptive family is German, but so far removed they all eat the standard American diet. I, on the other hand, cook and eat what they consider "ethnic" food - lots of Indian, Ethiopian, and Caribbean dishes, lots of spice and usually a good amount of heat. My tastes have always, since childhood, been very different than my family's. I learned to cook from a little Puerto Rican woman when we lived there. My husband takes my cooking into work, and when I meet his new employees they're all shocked that I'm Caucasian, after eating my cooking.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, I was all set to say no until I remembered one of my "go to" meals is baked beans on whole wheat toast. Guessing the UK chicks will recognize this meal that I learned to eat from my English grandfather.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

I grew up on Indian food. I had a personal trainer for a while who said to me, "first step stop eating everything that you are used to eating and eat what I tell you". Yeah, I stopped going to that trainer...
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

i grew up on a lovely greek mediterranean diet my mother imposed on us.... i wanted cheeseburgers and pizzas instead!!!!
when i left home and lived on my own, i gained weight as a result.

now it's back to mediterranean diet, and it's been working fantastic.
lots of veg, fish, and raw olive oil, pulses...

u could totally tell i am a greek in england by the way i cook!!

and p.s. yup.. beans on toast, they have them all the time here, it's actually a pretty decent and filling breakfast!!!
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #6  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

My family is Persian, and although I'm often too lazy to make the cuisine myself, even at my unhealthiest I eat massive amounts of fruit and vegetables -- way more than my average American friends, especially when it comes to eating things like radishes and big bunches of mint and basil straight, without any dressing or whatever.

I'm in LOVE with feta cheese (greek, bulgarian, french) and pita bread when I can fit it into my diet, and I drink kefir which is similar to a carbonated Persian yogurt drink.

Also, I drink lots of persian-style tea, and crave foods and desserts made with cardamom, saffron, roseweater, and chickpea flour .
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Very interesting!
Well, if you look at what I cook over the week you would be very sure that I was half Mexican, a quarter Chinese, and a quarter Indian....yet my skin is as white as white can be. Nationally I am Irish and Norweigin....but those foods are boring to my palet.
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well depends I love beans, could be the Mexican side I grew up in a Mexican American family with plenty of corn products and beans although I'm not a big fan of corn unless you mash it and use it to make something else like tamales.

Tonight I am making Indian style lentils though and I make a variety of food including Ethiopian, Indian, Spanish, South/Central American, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #9  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

This is so interesting to read...In my old eating habits (when I was away from my grandmother, and before I could cook for myself)...you would be certain that I lived in a motherless American home...KFC, or Chinese takeout, Or a giant bowl of pasta (the only thing I could cook at 13)...Almost every night. Tonight I had turkey cutlets topped with lf cheese, olive slices, and tomato sauce w/ green beans.

What about holidays? What are your traditions regarding them? It is 100% unmistakable that I am Italian when it comes to holidays.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote