Old 06-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Default Help getting veggies into more of my snacks and meals please?

Ok, so I am not veggie challenged in the sense that I do not like veggies...I am challenged in the sense that I am not creative about it so I eat the same ones all the time...AND I usually only eat my veggies at dinner. So I am asking 2 things: How can I incorporate veggies into things I eat besides dinner? AND How can I get more variety in the veggies I eat (as in suggestions of what to eat). Here is a list of the veggies I eat most often:

Broccoli
Zucchini
Cauliflower
Brussels sprouts

I want to branch out from there.

Thanks for the help! (Oh and the only veggies I really don't like are carrots and celery)
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

Spinach salad for lunch? That would work! Or any salad in general, you can dump lots of veggies in. Cucumbers are a great snack. In south Louisiana, right now is the prime time for fresh homegrown cucumbers and tomatoes, both of which I could eat all by theirself as meal. Just hit it up with salt n pepper!

You can add bean sprouts to sandwiches and wraps.
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #3  

Zuchini can go into an egg white omlette (or Eggbeaters) for breakfast. Tomatoes along side adds another veg. Keep a vegetable soup/stew on hand (make on the weekend) and have it be your go to snack or you lunch with some added lean protein. Brussel sprouts are great as a snack (even room temp) with a mustardy dip (use a low cal mustard dressing or just Dijon mustard thinned with water or lemon juice). What are you currently eating for breakfast & lunch?- maybe that will help us be more specific. My never more than a few pounds over her ideal weight stepmom (78 year old) is a snacker. The other day I was there and she was mixing cottage cheese with diced radishes and green onion to keep in the fridge as a snack.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #4  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

A simple trick is to use romaine leaves instead of bread. You can make a "wrap" with any filling you want, with a romaine leaf around it. I use lettuce leaves instead of chips for dip.

Hummus and veggies is fun too.

I pack my egg white omelets with veggies. The game I play is to see how much variety I can get in an omelet. Usually, I put broccolli, red pepper, onions, tomatoes, and jalapenos (I love spice) in them. The omelets are huge, but less than 200 calories.

Adding fresh cilantro and parsley to dishes can veggify things a bit.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I regularly make fajitas by stir frying peppers (can buy them already prepped in the frozen veg if time is an issue) and onions in a little olive oil. Initially I made them with shrimp or chicken as well, but now just a little reduced-fat cheese as the warm veg goes on the tortilla.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #6  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Thanks all, great ideas I have to get to them.

Tommy-Breakfast has usually been carb based (cereal, oatmeal, toast etc.) But I have to change that to egg type things now bc I am doing Ph 1 South Beach. Lunch is ALWAYS different because I struggle with it, and I eat what I find. Today it was tuna salad on a bed of romaine, sliced zucchini, and arugula.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #7  

Mescelestus- check out the daily food and exercise journal thread in the maintainers forum. These chicks can rock some veggies.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #8  
:3

S/C/G: 160/149/145

Zucchini is awesome because it bakes really well, and it makes the bread moist and delicious. Look for low-fat, low-cal zucchini muffins or bread recipes.

I also second what motivated chickie said about romaine wraps, and just romaine in general. It's got more flavor and nutrients than iceberg.

And, I don't know if you like carrots, but one of my absolute favorite snacks is chocolate-dipped carrots! Melt semi-sweet or dark chocolate and dip carrots sticks in it. It's a great mix of flavors, not very unhealthy, and is good for those craving days.

Good luck with your veggies! I need help with this too. =P
Oshaberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I like to make crustless quiches once in a while. So quick and easy.

Mix a few eggs or egg whites with a dash of skim milk and add anything you like. I've made broccoli, chedder and bacon or tomato, sprinach and feta or zucchini, salsa and turkey sauasage. Any combination works and you can add as many veggies as you like. Then just add any spices or seasonings and pour the mixture into a baking dish spraying with pam and bake until golden.

Delish! Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner and leftovers taste great too!
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #10  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Veggie hashbrowns are a fun breakfast food. I don't have an exact recipe because I guess instead of measuring, but it's basically 2 parts zucchini to 1 part potato and 1 part beet or carrot. Shred all the (raw) vegetables, squeeze out excess moisture, and then dump it in a skillet that has a bit of melted butter/olive oil/margarine in it. Cook over medium-high heat about 10 minutes, flip, and cook for another 5-10 minutes. (Flipping isn't always successful, but turn it over in some form or fashion. )

Last edited by Rochester; 06-26-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

thanks for all the great ideas, I think I'll try that crustless quiche tonight...

also, at the supermarket the other day, I found shredded broccoli next to the cole slaw in the produce section.

I like precut coleslaw, because it's so convenient and easily added to a pot of soup or something. I also tried the broccoli slaw - it's pretty yummy, I made a broccoli slaw - egg white pancake
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Chocolate dipped carrots? Never even thought of that.
I do eat the crustless quiches though.

I think the key, if you work, is to shop/prepare on the weekends. I eat so many more fruits and vegetables when on vacation from work. I think if you have the veggies already chopped on the weekend (or buy in bags, I guess) you will be more likely to eat them.
charmtime is offline   Reply With Quote