Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Early morning runners...

...how do you wake up? So generally everything is laid out for me the night before I role out of bed and go at 5am. But that means I spend the first 1/2 mile to mile waking up and the then 2-3 mile run I do suffers because I'm tired. On the weekends I wake up am up for an hour or so and then run and I run SO much better. I walk hard for a 1/2 mile and then run well for 3 miles or more and end with another 1/2 miles to mile of good walking.

Today I set my alarm earlier am up drinking a little water w/ lemon and a splash of apple cider vinegar (heard it can give you enery) popped on here to wake up my brain and then will go. I already feel more awake so I'm hopeful I have a good run this morning, but what else could I do to wake up and have a quality run? I don't want to do coffee (I need that at work and don't want to add more to my day) I've thought about those 5 hour energy's but those scare me...eating does nothing for me and I like to eat my breakfast later in the morning anyway. Hopefully this does the trick, but does anyone else have any tips?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I have been getting up at 5am to meet friends at 5:30 for a workout (running usually included).

I find that the time it takes me to drive to where we meet is my wakeup time. Its 10 mins. We then spend a few mins stretching and solcializing before we start our workout. Again, its a little bit so that we all wake up. Then we start our run or our workout.

I have found that I have to eat just a little something before my workouts, so I have 1/2 a banana before leaving the house. Otherwise I just don't have the energy to run.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I wake up at least 45 minutes to an hour before running and have a little food to give me energy for a run--usually oatmeal or a banana and a few almonds. By the time I start running, I am usually wide awake.

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I get up at 5:30 every morning to exercise--either strength training at home, or I bike to work. However, I almost never have a really good workout at this time of day, because I am simply not a morning person. I have come to accept that my performance is usually sub-standard first thing in the morning, and there's really nothing I can do about it. Coffee would probably perk me up and give me a better workout, but I don't drink it every day due to my insulin resistance. So, oh well.

I am considering changing my workout strategy a little to shift my Saturday strength training to the afternoon or evening, because I can work out about 50% harder and better at that time. But on the other days of the week, due to my tight schedule, that's just not a possibility.

The way I figure it, by working out at ALL, I am already doing far more than most people do. And I am definitely seeing lots of progress in my strength and muscle definition and fitness and weight loss, despite the crappy quality of my morning workouts. Just doing it is enough.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #5  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I get up at 5:20 a.m. monday - friday to go for a run/walk. I hang around the house and drink coffee and play on the internet until about 6:10, and then walk to the park to run. I think just getting up early enough to sit around and wake up and drink coffee does the trick. Also, getting enough sleep. I go to sleep anywhere from 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. sunday - thursday. Do you like tea? Or even just plain hot water with lemon. Anything hot, I think would help wake you up. Good luck!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I have to get up at least half an hour to an hour before I go running--if I don't get my breakfast in, I just don't perform as well. That being said, since I got promoted and have to be in at 8 instead of 9, I've had to move my runs to my off and late shift days.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #7  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Everything I did the day before affects how I feel in the morning - not enough water, too many calories, too much sodium, not enough sleep, too much wine . If I've been treating my body right, it's quite happy to leap out of bed and head out for a run.

And I have to eat something before a run. I mean, it's usually been about 12 hours since I've eaten so my body has no fuel. My go-to food is half a banana, but other fruits work well too.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I have never been an early riser and most likely never will be . That said, I just wanted to wish ya lots of luck with this
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #9  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

I wake up around 5am. Have some water... and start laundry, pick up the kitchen or living room or give the bathroom a once over (usually about 20 minutes of light work) THEN I go out and run.

I don't like running half asleep... its hard enough to get my bum out there to start with! Plus I don't feel like I am 'wasting time' by being out exercising instead of picking up the house because I already got started on it, and the laundry takes 45 minutes to run anyways! Sometimes I have to trick myself like that.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I run a little slower in the morning but that doesnt really hurt your workout and I am more energized the rest of the day. It will get better as you get used to it, but I will always be more sluggish at 5:00 than at 9:00. Some of it is sleepiness, some of it is the body is more stiff after sleeping and just doesnt move well.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: GW: 125

I like to be up for 20-30 minutes before I set out. I usually drink 1/2 cup of coffee and have either a banana, some yogurt or a bit of cottage cheese (like 1/4 cup). I feel like I need a little fuel in me to really have any get-up-and-go.

If you're trying to limit your coffee, maybe a cup of tea would hit the spot -- even iced (you could make it the night before).

ParkedOut, I LOVE your idea of starting the laundry. I am always behind on the laundry, so that is the perfect thing for me to do. Plus, the extra trip down the basement stairs will help get me going!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote