Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Angry Heat Wave

So, it was 102 degrees in New York City today and even now that the sun is down it's still 90 degrees.

For me, this has utterly DESTROYED my plan, both yesterday and today, so I am having a really hard time getting back on track. I don't belong to a gym, and I have been doing all of my exercising in my living room, either with Exercise On Demand, or one of my various yoga tapes.

To top it off, we didn't want to turn our oven on so we ordered chinese food -- I had brown rice with chicken and broccoli, which isn't the worst, but then I caved and had some ice cream about two hours ago.

This heat! It's killing me! The lethargy is pervasive and even with my air conditioner on I am still uncomfortably warm.

Ugh. I just feel disgusting. Anyone else suffering in the heat right now like I am?

Words of encouragement or tips and tricks for staying healthy when to do so might mean not exercising for a day or two would be most welcome!
Lilstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/212/180

Height: 5'2

it's hot here too. I usually wait til later in the day then suck it up and go do my thing. Sounds like the heat is really bothering you though, is there a pool or lake you can go to? Water exercising burns lots of calories. Ps...if you want a cool treat, try freezing yogurt or fruit, less calories than ice cream
shortstuff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #3  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

i totally hear you, this heat and humidity have been so severe. is there any way you could go for a walk really early in the morning, when there is still the benefit of the cooling down that hapens at night (however slight a cool down that is)? and is there any possibility you could cook only once or twice a week and make enough to last for several days so that the oven use would be minimal? good luck and stay cool!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #4  
Speechless and Redundant

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Yep! I'm over here in RI, practically melting! It went up to 101 in Providence today. The worse thing is that I don't have an air conditioner right now! *Wipes sweat off forehead*

Last edited by clickit; 07-07-2010 at 12:21 AM.
clickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #5  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm over in Vegas. Since it's the desert here it gets pretty hot (regularly hits well over 100° in the summer) and most of the heat lingers after the sun has gone down (it's after 9 pm right now but is still at 94°). I'm still not exactly used to it, my previous home was in Wisconsin!

We do have AC but it can't always keep up with the heat. To keep cool I take extra showers and find large indoor places to take brisk walks in, like Wal-mart or the mall. I also tend to make cold meals that don't require cooking, like big salads and healthy sandwiches.

Oh, and of course be sure to drink extra water to keep hydrated.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

it reached 103 in DC yesterday but I'm actually liking the heat. I find the more I'm out in the heat, the better I do. Although heat + sun is a bit much.

Stay well hydrated, try to keep cool with a hat when you do go outside, eat sandwiches, salads, etc although I tend to cook just not with the oven from basically late spring to early fall.

I do plan to exercise today outside but since most of my exercise is outside, I'm used to it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #7  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

I am in TN and it stays hot here (not like Vegas though) all summer. It's hard to stay on track when all you think about is the heat..in 4 mos we will be cooling off again..
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Take heart. Believe it or not, AC is considered to be one of the underlying causes of the increase in obesity. Why? Because people don't feel like eating as much when they are hot, so before AC was prevalent, people used to gain a little in winter and then lose it in summer. It's really hot where I am too, and I did exercise last night, but I found it difficult....

But foodwise-- heat is NOT a reason to go off plan. You'll feel better if you eat light and cool foods. Last night I had plain yogurt and berries for dinner. It was delish and I couldn't bear the thought of eating anything heavier. In stead of chinese, you could slice up crisp veggies with hummus and sugar free popsicles will cool you down just as well as ice cream.

On your weight loss journey, you'll always have to face inconvenience-- extremes of weather, travel, stress, etc. To succeed, you just need to get creative.

Hang tight.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yeah, the heat is brutal.

But it's waaaaay better now than when I was overweight. Like by a million percentage points.

I walked this morning at 7:30, walked last night at about 9. And of course did my resistance training at home, in the AC.

I also am keeping that oven off as much as possible. Big salads and more big salads do the trick just fine. Chinese food? Waaay too heavy if you ask me. I definitely think those salads are the way to go. Also thin cutlets and fish cook real quickly, that is on tap for the upcoming weekend.

It's really about finding ways around the obstacles, because there will ALWAYS be some sort of obstacle in the way. But luckily for each and every obstacle - there is a solution.

"If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way, if not, you'll find an excuse". Love that quote, yes, coming from me the former queen of excuses.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

We've had a break from the triple digit heat since these tropical waves/storms are coming through the gulf....I'd so rather the heat since oil clean up is minimal since the seas are rough but that's a different thread lol

I do a lot of water based exercise, indoors on my elliptical, DVDs, etc and if I want to do anything outdoors then it's early in the morning when it's coolest.

To keep the house cool we keep the blinds closed and we grill a lot for dinner.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

It's HOT here too.

The only way I'm able to get some morning exercise is by getting up at 5:30 and out the door by 6:00.
The cool of the morning is the best its going to be all day, so that when I garden or walk.

In so far as food - I cook in the morning & eat it cold later.

Last edited by susiemartin; 07-07-2010 at 09:33 AM.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I was just in NYC on Sun/Mon. Stayed near Grand Central Station. Walked just about everywhere. Sunday night I walked down to 34th street and the water to catch the fire works and walked back. Monday I walked up to Rock Center, then down to the Empire State building then over to Penn station to catch a bus down to Battery park. Walked around downtown for a few hours then caught a bus back to Pennstation, then walked back to my hotel before getting my luggage and heading to the airport to catch an evening flight home.

I really enjoyed myself. Over the weekend I was up there I lost 3lbs.

I stayed in the shade, stayed hydrated and really enjoyed my day.

The one thing I noticed is the AC in NYC is kept at a comfortable temp. Here in FL the keep it frigged cold so its hard to go from 68-70 inside to 100 outside. Also, our humidity is so much higher. 95 in NYC was dry and so much easier for me to handle than 95 in FL.

I was really amazed while riding the bus to find people getting on and back off a block or two later. (and not in business clothes or dressed up). Come on people - walk the block or two.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnkymonkey View Post
I stayed in the shade, stayed hydrated and really enjoyed my day.

The one thing I noticed is the AC in NYC is kept at a comfortable temp. Here in FL the keep it frigged cold so its hard to go from 68-70 inside to 100 outside. Also, our humidity is so much higher. 95 in NYC was dry and so much easier for me to handle than 95 in FL.
The humidity is usually awful this time of year here in NYC, so it has been a blessing that th humidity has been relatively low. Makes it SO much more tolerable. Every time I get outside I think to myself, "this really isn't all that bad." I do hear that that is going to change though as the humidity is headed our way.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

A great cold snack is frozen fruit - mangos and dark cherries are my special favorites.

You chose to eat ice cream - that is a choice you make. You can make other choices.

Your old habit was to eat ice cream if you felt hot, if you want to lose weight, you have to create new habits. It's like a groove in a record, time to move the needle, make a new groove.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #15  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

We grill every day when it's this hot.. It's only supposed to be 95 here today, though.

And I'm making fish tacos tonight, so.. grill - here I come!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote