General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default why do fat clothes have necks that would fit a suburu?

Do clothing makers really think we also gain intense amounts of weight in our necks? The only person I can think of that can fit into these shirts would be jaba the hut! Seriously.. what are they thinking??? I go into Lane Bryant or wherever and they will fit alright in the tummy but the majority if not all that day I try on clothes the necks will extend beyond my bra straps and go into an 80's Flash Dance off the shoulder thing. Some even threaten to whoop!.. go straight down. And trust me I'm not getting sizes too big. I just can't fathom the biggest girl on the planet wearing that neck line comfortably. I don't think heads can gain 100 pounds and they REALLY don't need to make 50" neck lines! Grr! or maybe the guy has some sort of fetish to see MAJOR cleavage. It is so hard to shop for me. I wouldn't dare buy online as I can never tell how big the neck is on the thinner models :/

Just a rant cuz it's late. I'm not going shopping today or anything :P
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I know right!

Along the same lines: I always found that the pants at Lane Bryant were HUGE in the crotch area. They would fit everywhere else, but the crotch of the pants would be baggy and down to my knees. I always wondered...do other women who wear a size 16 just have...enormous crotches????

(That has to be the strangest thing I've ever typed.)
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #3  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

I can add to this rant. I find when pants fit me through the waist and hips the legs are so wide...all the way down. Just really baggy. What's up with that?
Oh...and something new that has happened this summer. I bought 2 pair of really nice bermudas from Kohl's. When I put them on they fit so nicely. In no time they start stretching out and by the end of the day they look like culottes. They are cotton with just 3% spandex. WTH??

Last edited by suetalks; 07-06-2010 at 10:11 AM.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I think some places, especially Lane Bryant, think that plus size also means tall. Look for a store that carries women's petites. I think that helps.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThicknPretty View Post
I know right!

...I always wondered...do other women who wear a size 16 just have...enormous crotches????

I almost did a spit take at this. I could barely swallow my coffee in time to avoid it. That is a great line. My biggest complaint is with the chest area. I have a smallish chest for a big girl. B to C cup though according to measurements I might end up as a D as my band size goes down, I'm on the cusp now. And to get shirts to fit in the chest (t-shirts) I have to go with a regular extra large (not that I'm complaining about being in that size). Just seems odd that with a size 26/28 bottom depending on cut of jeans and I'm wearing a 18 regular on the top.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #6  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

Oh, don't even get me started on Lane Bryant. The only thing I can get from that place is the bras (mostly because I can't find any in my size anywhere else). I've found one or two nice things from there before, but they're usually a bit over sized on me. The rest of the things are always just huge! I feel like I was wearing a tarp when I tried on some of the shirts.

I think I'll just stick to Maurices for my clothing needs.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #7  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThicknPretty View Post
I know right!

Along the same lines: I always found that the pants at Lane Bryant were HUGE in the crotch area. They would fit everywhere else, but the crotch of the pants would be baggy and down to my knees. I always wondered...do other women who wear a size 16 just have...enormous crotches????

I always have had this problem with pants - either the crotch hangs to my knees or I have to pull the waistband up to my chest. WTH? Are people really shaped like that? Do people really need like 14 inches of fabric to cover the area between their belly button and their crotch? Am I some kind freak with a low belly button or something?

The invention of the low rise cut has revolutionized fashion for me.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

What I don't understand about LB, aside from the ginormous crotch allowance, is who are these women with random blobs of fat somewhere between the upper outter thigh and hip area? Like, Oompa Loompa style? NO ONE I know is shaped like that.

Also:

Why are the shoulders so wide and the sleeves so short?
Why is the gut area so big, but the chest area so small?
Who is the genius who thinks that fat women want to sparkle? THAT much random embellishment is a bit like putting glitter on a pimple, it's not distracting anyone!
Can I get a natural fiber please? I'm a big girl. The last thing I want is to be trapped in some poly blend tent, sweating my arse off, thank you.

LB used to have cute stuff but sometime seven or eight years ago it went from cute stuff like everyone else wears, just in bigger sizes - to just a hot butter mess.

WHERE is the retailer who is just going to make REGULAR clothes in bigger sizes? Just have a look at Gap and Banana and JCrew and make me some of that.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 325/325/190

Height: 5'9"

It's because Lane Bryant got bought about by the company that runs Fashion Bug and Catherines. I used to work there- it sucked. Don't ever. The discounts on the bras and the Spanx line were nice, but minimum wage pay to stand around and hock credit cards was not my thing. I personally LOVE Old Navy's pants and shirts. (Even though I have to buy the pants online, I can wear the XXL from the store.) What plus size line do I hate? Target's new Pure Energy line. The actually middle section of the shirt or dress is the proper size, if not a little small. But the arms are like regular people size. Hello? If I have a fat stomach and ***, I'm gonna have fat arms too!
alisonlerae is offline   Reply With Quote