General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Red face I love him - Should I say it? lol... just want opinions

I have been dating someone for a few months who is ten years younger than me. We have taken things very slowly, but he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. We think so much alike, generally agree on almost every issue that we talk about, had similar childhoods, never run out of things to talk about, and have some amazing chemistry. Lately he has been saying things like, "I sleep with your pillow when you aren't here because it smells like your perfume." Or always telling me what an awesome person I am, telling me he has never had anyone be as nice to him, saying that we have a great connection and that it is way more than friends. That he is very glad he went to the place we met that night, etc. Over the weekend, he was leaving and said, "be good, I love you." I wasn't sure if he meant to say it or if he slipped and said it... I have said that to coworkers on the phone out of pure habit before... so I didn't say anything! I did see him a day or so later and he was very sweet and affectionate still. I do love him but have been scared of chasing him away. I know it sounds juvenile to be asking this on here but it is making me crazy. We had a text conversation today, and I asked him today if we could talk in person today or tomorrow - he said tomorrow is good. I said, nevermind I think this weekend is fine. (I'm chickening out). He said that was fine but tomorrow was good for him. Then he asked if I have something important to talk about. I said it is nothing bad, and that it can wait, and that I am probably not brave enough to say it anyway (so this probably gives it away I think). He texted, ok..lol. Then he texted again... "Sometimes you just have to take a chance, so..." I thought that was an open invitation for me to say how I feel, but now one of my friends says he may just want to know what I am thinking. Should I just wait and see if he says it first? I'm head over heels and might have PMS today so I am probably overly emotional. I don't want to screw this up. I have not been single that long and was married 15 years. I dated someone for 7 months and it turned out to be a bad relationship. This guy is so very nice, I just want to do things right.
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #2  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Say It!!!!
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I’m a firm believer in saying what you feel. So if you really, really, really feel that way…say it.

However, I also think that sometimes we trick ourselves into feeling things that we WANT to feel or think we should. I personally believe that love takes some time to develop and that's why it's best to hold off on saying it for a while...juuuust to make sure!

Glad to hear things are going so well for you in your relationship!

Last edited by ThicknPretty; 07-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Tough call, but I would wait until he said it again then let him know at that time. Good luck.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #5  
Getting back on track

Default thanks you guys

I think maybe I won't say it just yet. I want to see if he meant to say it the other day. Now that he said, "sometimes you have to take a chance" I know he knows I am thinking it, so if he wants to say it again, I will wait and let him.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

"I love you," means different things to different people. But on my personal intimacy scale, "I sleep with your pillow when you aren't here because it smells like your perfume," ranks much higher than a simple "I love you."

My personal guess is that it's fairly unlikely that this is a guy who's going to be scared off by you saying "I love you."

I think that's what scares people most about the words, is that they're not sure how to take them. What does the person really mean, and what do the words signify to him/her... what sort of commitment strings are attached...

If you're not ready to say it, you might consider something like "I think I might be falling in love with you."

But since he's not only said it straight "I love you," but has also said it in other words, I don't think you have to worry to much about being the one to "say it first." Not only has he said it first, he's said it in a lot of ways (as I see it).

To me (again my personal barometer), I think "I love you," often has less meaning than "I love x about you." I've dated guys who talked of love way too early, and that was a bit creepy. Although an "I love your eyes," or " I love your laugh," was welcome even on a first date.

I dated one guy who couldn't say "I love you," without his face turning bright fuschia (which he hated, so he rarely said it. Sometimes when I said "I love you," to him he'd even blush). He was better at the "actions speak louder than words" - loving gestures more than words.

I think "the words" and the timetable for them are important to some people, and not to others. Use the words you're comfortable with, but from what you describe of him, it's hard to believe that he'd be scared off by an admission of stronger feelings. Whether you want to say "I love you" or want to talk about what you love about him first (or even instead), I think really is a matter of your own comfort level.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #7  
Getting back on track

Thumbs up Kaplods, you're right - thanks!

I hadn't thought of it that way - the things that he has said are even better than saying I love you. And in fact I have been saying the same kinds of things to him. I have said, "I feel so lucky to have found you!" and he will say, "me too!" and I have told him he's the most awesome guy ever, that no one has ever been as nice to me, and what a great person he is. (This is getting so mushy I'm probably making some of you sick - lol - sorry) And he has said how great it is to have someone who doesn't complain and lets him be himself and I said that I want him to do what he wants and needs to do, and we both have said how glad we are to have someone who also lets us each have time with our friends and family without complaining. I've told him I love lots of things about him... I can't even remember all the things I've told him I love So I guess we have already said it, you're right
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #8  
Getting back on track

Default And how about him putting me on the spot?? lol

Saying,, "Sometimes you just have to take a chance, so...." kind of puts me out on a limb without really giving me the answer.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #9  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

NO, no no no no no. Read up on men and control issues, trust me, don't say it before he does.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #10  
Getting back on track

Default To gonnadoitthistime

So even though he said it first (though I am not sure if he meant to) and even though he said "sometimes you have to take a chance" you think I still shouldn't say it? I am not sure if that counts as first. But I am leaning more and more toward holding off on saying it and letting him say it.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

If you need to ask here IF you should say I love you to him you shouldn't!

don't give the guy false hope....and as you say it's only been a couple of months....

way too early IMHO to tell someone they love them...

not that you don't!...but maybe a little more time will secure that thought for you.

Good luck on your relationship.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #12  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Let him know you care by the way you behave, let trust build, if he says it again and means it the way you want him to, you will know it, and if at that time it seems like the most natural thing in the world to say it to him, then do. Be in the moment, you can't plan this stuff or get a consensus as to what to do. It needs to be an expression of what you feel consistently, not a passing emotion or an attempt to get some emotional reward or to move the relationship to another level.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #13  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

If there's one thing I've learned about men all these years...is to NOT be the first to say ILY. Blow away the fluffy cupid clouds & sugary hearts to see it clearly...it tends to put you at a disadvantage as a female. I'm sorry, but the one who cares the least almost always has the most control. In addition, men are much slower at processing their feelings than we females are. I'd wait for him to say it again...seems like his saying it without being consistent is a bit odd, IMO. If he meant it...you'd KNOW it. No guesswork involved.

"Sometimes you just have to take a chance" ... great, so let him eat his own words and take the chance & work for you. Allow the masculine to woo the feminine. Have fun being pursued. Have some game & don't be so eager to let it all hang out. When a man says it without being led or prompted perhaps out of return obligatory reasons, it means more. Fact or not, no matter...just my opinion. Wishing you two much happiness!

Last edited by MissKelly; 07-07-2010 at 02:01 PM.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #14  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Have you spent time with each other's families and friends? Get past the goo goo gaa gaa stages and get to know each other. Because everything is cute and lovely in that stage. How is he when he's angry? Have you gotten into disagreements? How is it handled? What kinds of things do you talk about?

I'm one for keeping stuff in the open so everyone knows how to conduct themselves. If you love him tell him. If that runs him off he needs to be gone. If he isn't ready to go all in you can talk about that too. Ask him why he told you he loved you when he did. Be an adult about the relationship. Don't play games...it takes too long to establish a real trusting relationship. When I met my husband I was 43 and had NO time or interest in meandering through any relationship. If we are going to be in a relationship we need to be working towards something but I was not going to be just marking time just to say I was in a relationship. It just so happened that my husband was the same way. He's 12 years younger than I am and I have not met a more wonderful MAN. So like he told you, "sometimes you just have to take a risk". As my mom said, Love is a risk with no guarantees. Just be upfront and if it works great if not you will know sooner than later.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 AM   #15  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post

But what do I know? I first told my boyfriend I loved him when I was drunk and puking in the toilet. Then I followed it up with "No I don't. I'm drunk." I'm romantic like that.

ROFL!!! Now that is just too funny....
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote