Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'10

Default New from Georgia

Hello. I have just registered and would like to join all of you in your dieting journey. My name is Julie and I am 54 years old, married with no children. I have 6 cats that I consider my children. I need to lose around 100 lbs so I'm going to jump right into the 100 lb club I'm like so many others, and have been dieting most of my life. When I was 18 I wanted to lose 20 lbs (160 to 140) when I was 25 I was back at 160. When I reached 200 I cried and swore I'd loose it once and for all. When I was 40 I reached 220 and at 50 I was fluctuating between 220 and 240. Three years ago I quit smoking and three months after I quit smoking my baby brother committed suicide. I managed to keep from smoking but I put on additional weight and have settled in at 260. I've tired numerous diets and the one that works best for me is counting calories. I have been using FitDay for several years although I use the PC version rather than online.

I plan to continue to count calories and increase my exercise. I have both a treadmill and reclining bicycle at home. I bought the reclining bike because I have difficulty with my feet hurting and walking just makes it worse. I thought the reclinicng bike would help me get more exercise. My husband and I are Master bbq judges with the Kansas City Barbeque Society and judge meats almost every weekend from March - October. Judging means we have to take a bite or two of as many as six entries times four meat categories. Sometimes we also judge other items, including desserts but that doesn't happen very often. I actually fill up on meat and don't eat the remainder of the day so I've been able to at least hold my weight without increasing it on judging weekends.

We also whitewater raft and kayak. This past weekend we went on a rafting trip. These guided rafting trips always include 20-something men and women who are trim and fit. I'm tired of being the fat whale on these trips. I'm not going to give up rafting so I'm going to have to give up some of the weight.

Whew, if you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read my introduction. I look forward to participating in these forums. When I quit smoking I participated in a forum and found the support immensely helpful. I plan to particpate and provide support as I take support as well.

Julie
GaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi Julie and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #3  
Workin' It

Hey there! Welcome! We have a lot of great forums, you would probably like Calorie Counters and the 50+ maybe? There are some great exercise forums as well.

Wow - BBQ judges. That just sounds cool to me. I had a friend years ago whose father competed in those cook offs, he always had so much fun.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the site, from another Georgia girl. I'm so sorry to hear about your baby brother. We lost my brother's 2 bestfriends to suicide years ago and I don't think I'll ever understand it, but over the years I've come to accept it. I'm also tired of being the "fat chick" in the room or on trips or, more importantly, in the group photo...I'm working on changing that. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey...you'll find lots of support here!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Welcome to 3fc. I just moved from your area (I've lived in Tucker, Lilburn, Atlanta, Decatur). If you don't have a Stone Mountain Park annual pass I HIGHLY recommend it when/if you get back to walking. It's only $35/year (vs. $10/day to get in) and that was my absolute favorite place to exercise (be it walk-up trail, loop road, or the trails through the woods). A lot of cyclists go there too if you're interesting in getting a road bike. I'm still trying to find a place I like as much here in Nashville!

Last edited by Aclai4067; 06-28-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: S259/C150/1/G160

Height: 5'4.5"

Welcome Julie,
Seems there are of a lot of Georgia girls here! I am in Powder Springs. Good luck with your journey. I am about the same size and hope I see us both losing together!

Susan
queenofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'10

Thanks everyone for you warm welcome.

Shannon at your advice I've checked out Calorie Counters and 50+. I haven't particpated in the discussions yet but will. BBQ judging is a lot of fun and we meet new people from all over the country. I just have to be very careful about what I'm eating on weekends that we judge.

Ashley, I do have a Stone Mountain pass. My husband and I used to ride our bikes out there almost every evening. The problem with working out with your spouse is the opposite end of the spectrum from what is good about working out with him. We can motivate each other but we can also very easily siderail each other. Hopefully by the time the weather cools off a little I will have lost enough that riding bikes is fun again and I can get him motivated.

Susan, I look forward to watching your progress and hopefully being losing buddies.

Natasha and Michelle, thank you for your warm welcome as well.

Julie
GaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Well I'm not in GA but I'm right by you in SC! lol Welcome to the site! I'm new here as well. It seems like you have an active life so it should be pretty easy to add a lil extra exercise into the mix. lol Anyways, I just wanted to say hi. I'm new to this site as well and just starting my millionth diet (it sure seems like it!) Good luck!
smj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote