Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Angry Possible TMI: Inner thighs

Okay, does ANYONE ELSE have those dark patches on their inner thighs? I've been told it's from my thighs rubbing together, and I've been told it's from insulin resistance. I don't know what I believe, and I don't have insurance so I won't be finding out any time soon. But I get them under my arm pits, too. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? I scrub really hard every time I shower or take a bath, and sometimes it works but not 100%. I've also heard lemon juice helps lighten them.

I just feel like... Great! Now I'm losing weight, by the time I can wear a bikini, I still won't, because my thighs are so revolting, so what's the point???

Last edited by yhahmd; 06-30-2010 at 09:25 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Height: 5'7"

I have some discoloration on my very inner thighs but it's not very noticeable. I don't usually give it a second thought but I would love to hear what other people have to say about what it's from or how to get rid of it.

To be honest, it's not something I've ever noticed on other people, but I just figured it was because I wasn't paying close enough attention. I kinda thought almost everyone had those...
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Start doing some research on fade creams or skin whitening creams. I just picked up a few products today at Sally's, but it is for a whole different reason. I am trying to fade a tattoo. I understand that Wrecking Balm uses the same active ingredient found in Ambi fade cream. Don't be alarmed by this, black women use this on their face to lighten spots.

I bought the Black Opal pre-fade complexion bar, Ambi Fade Cream and Topiclear number one gel, which also has Hydroquinone 2% in it. I am out of pocket a whole 10 bucks. Definitely worth the try! I've read many reviews on it and people love this stuff!

Good luck!
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #4  
Tab

S/C/G: 300/270/150

Height: 5'3"

Default shae butter

I've been told its from my thighs rubbing together. But rubbing 100% shae butter on it everyday seems to help a lot for me
tabathana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I had this at my top weight, but it is much improved now that I'm at goal weight. I'm not sure if mine was related to insulin or rubbing. My family does have a history of diabetes and my eating habits were HORRIBLE, I am not sure how close I got to diabetes.

I could have improvement because 1) it was rubbing, and now I'm smaller and there is less rubbing 2) I got dangerously close to being insulin resistant, but my healthier eating habits have reversed this
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #6  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

It's likely insulin resistance, and fade creams won't help. Those are sketchy at best, and some are dangerous. So I wouldn't go that route. Insulin resistance often causes a reversible skin condition called acanthosis nigricans (Google for pictures) found in the folds of the body, including the underarm and neck area. I had it around my neck and between my breasts at my heaviest weight. The neck area is about 80% faded, and the darkness between my breasts has completely disappeared.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I have them, and I know they're from thighs rubbing because I remember getting them and realizing that I couldn't wear skirts without shorts underneath. They also have some scaring from the skin healing after the chaffing. I'm not sure how to get rid of them, but I think that the shea butter is a good idea.

I figure that if they don't go away (or at least lighten) with weight loss and therefore not chaffing, I may ask a plastic surgeon about it--although this would years down the road when I have money!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I had a darker line under my chest from where my bra kind of rubbed at my highest weight and after I lost a bunch and it stopped rubbing, I used a regular drugstore fade cream (really, a skin lightener, not a bleach) with hydroquinone for a week or so and it went away. So if it's kind of a darkened area caused by chaffing and the source of the chaffing is now gone, it may be worth a shot. Good luck!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 259.6/245.8/145

Height: 5'5"

It's definitely insulin resistance - I just came back from my dermatologist last week for my roseacea and she always does a body check for moles and pointed out the back of my neck and told me to get my blood sugar checked. I mentioned it to a friend who has recently lost almost 200 pounds and she was like "interesting, cause since I've lost the weight, mine has gone away"!! Hopefully healthy diet will improve it somewhat, but I'm sure part of it is skin rubbing together for a long time too.
jenwoobiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenwoobiekins View Post
It's definitely insulin resistance - I just came back from my dermatologist last week for my roseacea and she always does a body check for moles and pointed out the back of my neck and told me to get my blood sugar checked. I mentioned it to a friend who has recently lost almost 200 pounds and she was like "interesting, cause since I've lost the weight, mine has gone away"!! Hopefully healthy diet will improve it somewhat, but I'm sure part of it is skin rubbing together for a long time too.
The only reason I don't think it's insulin resistance is I have a diabetic dog, so we have a 2 meters and I check my blood sugar pretty often.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Weighing in on this one... The dark patches of skin that people get with insulin resistance is called acanthosis nigricans. You can also get discolored skin due to chaffing.

Do a google image search to look at acanthosis nigricans. It is very identifiable and is also remarkably different than the discoloration that can come from chaffing. You can't mistake the two.

Good luck!
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #12  

Default Insulin resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhahmd View Post
Okay, does ANYONE ELSE have those dark patches on their inner thighs? I've been told it's from my thighs rubbing together, and I've been told it's from insulin resistance. I don't know what I believe, and I don't have insurance so I won't be finding out any time soon. But I get them under my arm pits, too. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? I scrub really hard every time I shower or take a bath, and sometimes it works but not 100%. I've also heard lemon juice helps lighten them.

I just feel like... Great! Now I'm losing weight, by the time I can wear a bikini, I still won't, because my thighs are so revolting, so what's the point???

Yeah I have that too. I did some research and found out that mine ins caused by acanthosis nigrican. I've been overweight for all my life and my body develop insulin resistance which is a symptom of pre diabetic. I ate really dark chocolate ( 90% dark) and it relieve the dark patches in a few weeks.Just don't eat too much of it (I ate 8 grams everyday).And for further treatment, I made sure I ate low carbs diet. Search for Ketogenic Diet. It is great remedy for our problem.
Babymarshella is offline   Reply With Quote