Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

Default Kale!

So I signed up for a "Community Supported Agriculture" Program... we are on week 3, and there was lots of kale again!

I've never cooked much with kale before, so kale-recipes do not come to mind quickly. To be quite honest, I might have had something left over from last week...

Last week I sauteed some with lemon juice and olive oil. I also used some in a vegetarian meatball soup. This week, it's "Lentil and Kale soup," and I think I might like this version best

What's your favorite kale recipe? Do share
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Oh I love Kale, kale is awesome. I don't know if you like raw veggies but if you taste kale leaves uncooked its kind of an interesting (probably mostly to me) flavor, kind of bitter (nutty? idk), very green and almost like cabbage i guess. It is a huge prevent-er of cancer and super high in anti-oxidants I believe.

I'm not sure if you are vegetarian or not...but I'll share and perhaps there are alternatives you can find that suit you nonetheless...

If you take a smoked turkey leg or two, cut it up into small pieces, add it to a large pot and sear/sautee it adding salt pepper, garlic, some onion. After its all heated up, juicy, and smelling delish, add the washed raw kale leaves (cut in pieces) sprinkling them lightly with water and cook. In no time You will have a yummy steamed kale side dish. Thats my go to recipe.

Alot of people cook kale for a long time like 2 or more hours....but I personally don't like to cook it to death for the health benefit. The greener it is the more nutrients u retain that will enter your body when eaten. I just get it slightly softened, trying to keep the bright green color if i can. I suppose I do about under 20 minutes.

The other way I've made it is making a kale and sausage type soup/stew using kielbasa (turkey for me, sometimes beef sausage) which has a similar preperation of preparing the meat and tossing in the kale to cook down. You can even add yummy white beans to this one, and happy little orange carrots...oh my I'm getting hungry!

I actually might try making a salad with it soon..it could probably be interesting mixed (again for me, since i like it so much raw) with other lettuces and add-ins. Let me know how it turns out for you!
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have heard wonderful things about kale chips.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Kale chips are amazing. I also put it in veg goulash, mac and "cheese", scrambled tofu ... well, I'll try and stick kale in anything at least once!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Kale chips, soup with kale and white beans.

Best recipe ever I found on Recipezaar.com...search Kale Slaw, it is spicey and has alot of spices in the ingredients. I make up a huge batch of the spice blend and store it in a container to use for other things. For example I make 6 times the spice quantities, then I measure the total quantity, and divide by 6....then I mark on the container how much that recipe calls for of the blend. Plus I use it to season dressings, and rubs for chicken etc...

The slaw is fantastic, the spice blend is exotic and great! A definate TRY it your will like it!
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

I actually just read about the kale chips last night!! How exciting to know that kale can go in the oven...and it's like the easiest thing! Oh how I love new recipes

Funny story, while i was visiting France for a few months I searched all over for kale in the supermarkets and couldn't find it. No one even knew what it was, and I was using the french word!

And finally one day I went to ask for the last time, and they guy turned to look at me so bizarrely and asked "but why would you want to eat that, zis ting is for ze cows?" LOL. I'll never forget it. Ah the French. They have rules for everything
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #7  

I love this recipe. I never use that much oil in it though (even pre diet!).

Ooh, I've got a craving for some now!
eryn s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

wow, thanks for posting, these recipes all sound great! I read up on kale some more, and it really looks like it's very nutritious - I'm going to try to incorporate it into more recipes!
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote