Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #1  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

Default newbie accountability

i'm new. well, signed up a while ago but getting started now, so new in that way. i started yesterday and i am posting in various places, but feel like i wanted/needed to make a post of my own so that i am accountable to myself and can post about my daily progress, as a new person, and with the struggles and victories of starting out, and of course not "knowing" anyone here at the moment.

it's just something i feel like i need to do for accountability and to be visible, if only to myself, if that makes any sense, instead of hiding or getting lost in places. i feel like maybe that has been part of what has been missing in the past, the not wanting to be visible, and is maybe part of why i ended up this way, and is somethig i recognize i need to change, and am ready to change. and so doing this just feels like an important part of that for me somehow.

if anyone else would like to post here too, whether new or old, please feel free. if not, that's ok too, i'll just come back and log my progress so i can see it and it can be seen, so that i am not hiding or blending in to the point of not being visible and then just quitting because i "wasn't really doing it" anyway. i hope that makes sense. and like i said, i already am and will continue to be posting in other places, too.

i was on plan yesterday for nutrition. and on plan today, day 2, for nutrition. yesterday and today included salmon, chicken, turkey, cabbage, tomato, avacado, mustard, water, green tea. i am allowing myself to be repetitive because at least for the first few months i think what will work for me is keeping it simple and do-able and routine.

i hoped to work out yesterday, but didn't. and i planned to work out today, but didn't. so this is maybe going to be a challenge area for me. i am bummed about it, but i am going to try again tomorrow. and of course, i am celebrating the good part of being on plan with nutrition.

i hope everyone else had a good day.

thanks
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #2  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygirl View Post
i hoped to work out yesterday, but didn't. and i planned to work out today, but didn't. so this is maybe going to be a challenge area for me. i am bummed about it, but i am going to try again tomorrow. and of course, i am celebrating the good part of being on plan with nutrition.

i hope everyone else had a good day.

thanks
First off... Welcome!

You post sounds a lot like me, especially this part about the gym.

I find the hardest part is getting myself changed into my workout clothes and get into the car. After that I tell myself that it's too late to turn back, do an hour workout, then go home satisfied that I achieved my goal.

One day at a time, as they say!
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/259/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey there you two! I'm feeling the same way- I am more of a lurker than anything else because I haven't found an accountability home either. I've been in and out of here for years (I realized yesterday ) and I'm just not getting ANYWHERE.
My biggest struggle comes the next day, when I feel like nothing is changing and it's just easier to give up. I just rode 142 miles this weekend for Bike MS and didn't BUDGE the scale.

Skygirl, what is your nutrition plan?
TimeToTryAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #4  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I think we all need an accountability check at least once in awhile

I did not work out yesterday due to family issues and even ate an extra 250 calories that I did not need or hunger for, just ate out of stress.

We have similar height, starting weight and goals, maybe we could be accountability buddies? I'd like it if I had someone to check in with. I think my fiance is getting tired of talking about what we ate each day as well as me talking about what kind of work out I did, haha.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Good thread Skygirl. I'll be reading to see your accountibility.

I came here 3 weeks ago under the same pretense and I've definatly found that reading and posting here has been crucial to me staying on plan and focused.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I think an accountability thread is a good idea Skygirl

I am doing one myself in Chicks in Control to cope with my binge eating disorder.

Looking forward to your posts.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #7  
Muscle Memory

schubunny--thanks! you bring up a good point about feeling better once you know your workout is done for the day. i know once i get it going i will be relieved and happier!

timetotryagain--thanks! i know what you mean about accountability, which is why i felt i needed this. in some ways, it feels good to post like this, and in other ways it's uncomfortable for me to post like this. but i know it's important. and i feel like in some ways it will mirror the new nutrition plan and fitness plan, which in some ways feel good to me and in other ways make me uncomfortable. i think that kind of stretching and getting out of my comfortable cocoon is what it will take for me.

wow 142 miles, that's amazing! i've heard that after long intense exercise like that the scale can even go up because the muscles are retaining fluid, so give it a few days.

my nutrition plan in it's most basic form is to eat things that have nutritional value. after years of eating mostly things that do not have much nutritional value, i think i am one of those people who is malnourished despite having extra weight. i've read a little bit about a variety of plans and tried to notice some common threads in them (zone, south beach, low glycemic, atkins, etc). so based on some of that general info, i'm keeping protien high to help prevent muscle loss, eating lots of veggies, healthy fats, and drinking 90+ ounces of water a day when possible. to start, i am getting carbs from veggies so that i can help burn fat instead of glycogen. but if i feel like i need it, i will have whole grains and low glycemic fruits, and those will be added in during maintenance if they haven't already been added by that time. i'm loosely aiming for 1200 calories during the losing phase and 1400 during maintentance, but will tweak as needed.

stephaniem--thanks! yes that would be great to have someone to check in with! i know what you mean about talking with people around you about all of this. when i don't stick to plan for some reason, i'm going to try to be accountable but not throw myself off the tracks, which has been an issue for me in the past.

chnkymonkey--thanks! yes that's what i keep telling myself, just read and post, read and post, keep going, you can do this.

motivatedchickie--thanks! i may end up seeing you over there in the binge section as this has been an issue for me too.

i hope everyone is having a great day! i'll be back to post about my day tonight.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #8  
Muscle Memory

well i succeeded at staying on plan for nutrition for day 3, which i am happy about. having sugar and binge issues, there were times today when thoughts of sugar were potentially problematic. i had a few sugar-free mints from spry, which have xylitol in them, and that got me through.

but i still have not worked out. i thought about this today and decided that i need to try going to sleep earlier and getting up earlier so i can work out first thing, so that i know that it's done. and i need to make sure i'm getting enough sleep in general. i think those are things that have been playing a role in my not working out yet.

the other thing i think is happening is that just by not eating all of the sugar and junk, i feel lighter, i don't feel as uncomfortable or have that sick pressure in my stomach from binging, and that is good in some ways and strange in others. and i am feeling less drugged and unconscious from not having the sugar and junk, which is also good in some ways and strange in others. so i think my anxiety level is a little up, and subconsciously maybe i know that working out will increase the light less drugged less unconscious feeling. and maybe i need to ease into that. so i am working on that.

i got a signature today which was cool. weight went down a tiny bit, and it is of course just water at this point, but the losing of the excess water that the body holds when eating junk is part of the process at the beginning when you stop eating so much junk, so i am letting myself be happy about it. because, it is something.

hope everyone had a great day.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #9  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Congratulations on the ticker! It's always nice when you go down a bit and can show it off

If you want, message me and we can talk about how we'll get this accomplished.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Good for you for staying on plan.

When I'm not feeling like exercise I trick myself into it. I'll start with a 10 min walk. But that means 10 mins away from my starting point so I have to go 10 mins back. And when I reach 10, usually my mood has picked up and I wont feel so bad, so I'll tell myself I'll run for 5 more mins out, then come back. If I'm tired, then I'll go back home, and at least I got a 20 min workout which is better than nothing.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9

Great idea!

I had Sushi yesterday, husband's birthday. I ate 600 calories during the day so should still be ok, at any rate I'm not weighing myself until Sunday.

I need to find a gym finally,but I'm new to the area and pre-school is off for summer and it needs to have childcare. Can someone kick my butt so I finally look at the 2 options that are here? I'm kind of sitting it out because I have to be ~ 180 to fit into my old workout clothes and it seems wasteful to buy a new set. I know in the long run I will have to exercise though, my metabolism is slow.
Leonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #12  
Muscle Memory

stephaniem--thanks! yes i'll message you. i'll try to figure out how to do that tonight. love your can-do attitude! how are things going for you?

chnkymonkey--thanks! great idea about getting started with a five minute walk and then going up from there. i am determined to do this no later than friday. how are things going for you?

leonor--thanks! sushi, yum. regarding the gyms, maybe you could start with calling them tomorrow morning to see if either/both have childcare, and then tomorrow afternoon drive to the ones that do to get a feel for them and see if you like one better. then you can give it some thought, and maybe walk/run around your neighborhood until you feel like your workout clothes fit comfortably again, and then go to the gym you picked out.

ok so i made it through day 4 on plan for nutrition, which i am very grateful for. i thought about sugar again today, and had a few sugar-free mints which again got me through it. went down a bit again today, even though it's water, still something to be glad about.

got some bad news today. and had a change of schedule today and tomorrow related to that news. still haven't exercised, but i am determined to do this on friday at the latest.

hope eveyone had a great day!

Last edited by skygirl; 07-01-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #13  

Thanks! I chatted with one of the gyms and decided to use that one. One step forward at least . Won't be going there until next week because my husband is off for the long weekend and I want to spend time with him.

Why are you not eating any sugar? Your nutritional goals maybe? I bought myself mini popsicles, 40 calories each. When I feel like I need something sweet I have one of those.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #14  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

S/C/G: 365/284.2/200

Hey,

I am kinda new too, in that I just started really talking in the forums just a few days ago. It's funny, I just logged on because I am seriously in the middle of a crazy sugar craving for those little gummy candies that look like frogs. I thought if I went on here, instead I could either find some advice on dealing with cravings, or feel motivate or guilted into not giving into mine. It is working.

So, far I have been on top of my plan for myself. I am using SparkPeople to help keep within my calorie range and have gone to the gym 3 days in a row. Today will be 4 in a row. Oh, and I have weighed myself every morning for 3 days.

Thanks for starting this thread SkyGirl
SweetEpiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #15  

Ha ha, when I feel like binging or indulging when I shouldn't I look here,too . And yes, it works

And I love Haribo gummy frogs.

I will not give in and instead be skinny for Christmas...repeat...and repeat