Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default What Deals are You Finding?

Since we're now in the "Summer bounty" produce months, I wonder if you guys are finding the same great deals out there that I am.

First off, its a good time to know lots of ways to cook squash! It's so prolific at my farmer's market that it sells for 50 cents or less a lb. I like mine chopped up and baked with some garlic, basil, and cherry tomatoes, or stuffed with whole wheat couscous, garlic and basil...either way, I top it with some cheese and bake until bubbly. I will also slice it into planks, marinate in balsamic, rosemary, and garlic, and grill..delicious! We also grill it for salads and fajitas and thread it onto skewers. I can cook it a different way almost every night, which is good, because in summer, it is by far the most economical veggie out there.

This weekend I found a crazy, crazy bargain at a different stall at the market...a gigantic box of peaches (23 lbs) for 7 dollars. For 30 cents a pound, I couldn't resist. I spent 2 and a half hours last night blanching, peeling, and slicing...some are being frozen individually on sheet trays to save for smoothies, some were processed and chopped finely for a few batches of jam (peach, peach habanero, and peach boysenberry), and about a dozen or so are left for eating. It was a lot of work, but for 7 dollars I got about a gallon bag of frozen, organic peaches, fruit for about 2 dozen jars of jam, plus peaches for the week.

The green beans and long beans are still pretty expensive, so I'll wait a bit there. In 2-3 weeks, long beans will be a dollar a bunch and we'll buy them by the truckload for stirfries...they're so good, and a real seasonal treat for us. And I just can't wait for dollar a lb red flame grapes and 20 cent a lb watermelon...we lived on cheap fruit last summer and can't wait to do so again!

So what bargains are you finding? Are you buying things in bulk and preserving in any way?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

Is this at the farmers market under the freeway in Sacramento? Funny, sometimes we would go to Davis for their farmers market. lol!

btw-you are a great inspiration of mine!!
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

Honeymustard - yes! Davis has many of the same vendors, but things cost 2-3x as much there. It's prettier than Sac, but there is less selection and the prices are ridiculous.

I'm actually in Woodland now, and I drive to Sac every Sunday. 23 lbs of peaches for 7 dollars!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

awesome

Sorry, I don't have any deals. Mostly do my shopping at my local Nugget.
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

LOL, we must be twins - I just got home from Nugget.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

.88 Eggplants

.44 Avacados

$1.50 Seedless Watermelon

.88 Cauliflower

I found all of these at Sprouts.

Yay for SUMMER!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

local farm stand - $5 for 3 good sized zucchini, 8 small yellow squash, 6 pickling cucumbers (my faves) and a bag of spinach (about 1/2 lb). It's one of those great local farm stands owned by the farmers. They aren't organic certified but don't spray and they're just really nice.

They already have the large squash for $.25 each. I usually buy those to grate and dehydrate for winter crockpot stews.

The small ones go into stir fries, frittatas, on the grill and sliced with the spiral cutter for summer salads.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #8  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

CyndiM I hope you come back! What do you do with grated zuc for winter stews. I love zuc and feel motivated to take advantage of the squash deals. would love to know more about your stews.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote