Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Red face How much weight can I lose in 7 weeks?

I am 19, 5'7, and 173 pounds. I have exactly 7 weeks before I go back to college and I want to FINALLY feel good about myself!! My mom says "oh about ten pounds maybe" but I really feel like someone could lose more in 7 weeks straight! What do you think?
neveragainbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

maybe 20-25 safely i think. it really depends on the individual and how much effort they put into both nutrition and exercise. best of luck to you though!

p.s even if you don't lose that much, you'd be amazed what a difference in confidence exercise and a balanced diet make. (really!)

Last edited by therex; 06-27-2010 at 11:09 PM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #3  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 167/145/110

Height: 5'0''

Hey, I'm 20 and in college too! I'm with Therex on how many lbs you can lose. My goal is to lose about 25 lbs period, but I'd like to have most of that done by the time I go back to school. Best of luck to you! Actually, nvm-- you don't need luck. You can do it!
chemicalksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #4  
Starting over =]

S/C/G: 225/185/150

Height: 5 ft 4 in

i'm 19 and going back to college in 7 weeks also!! lol judging by your weight and height, i would guess at least 15 lbs, having said that, i set my goal for 30 lbs for the whole summer (starting mid may to mid aug) and i have already lost about 15 lbs, so its really doable and you end up losing more than you originally thought you could usually. although i gotta admit, some weeks are better than others, like last week i lost 5 lbs, and this week only 3, but its all getting me there! lol ( exercise is the key in losing more inches rather than lbs, i've found, and i'd rather lose more inches than weight to be honest)

but sorry for the ramble, haha, and good luck!!
happyveggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #5  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

2-5lbs per week. That's pretty realistic.
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #6  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I'd say 15 for sure is totally doable but I'm guessing maybe even up to 20- 25
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Well, I think the general rule is that on average people lose 1/2-2 pounds/week. Typically it translates into 1% of our body weight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, you might lose 2 pounds/week. But at 150, only 1.5. These are gross overgeneralizations, of course. Often people lose more weight at the beginning, though that is more water and less fat lose. But larger people tend to lose more pounds/week than smaller people.

My concern is that if you set a goal of 25 pounds and don't make it -- say you do lose 10 -- that you will feel bad about yourself and your success. Losing 10 pounds is great -- but your goal is to KEEP it off, right? So you need to begin to build good habits that will last you into the school year!! Then maybe you lose MORE weight during the year and keep it off forever!

So, I would put less worry on the number on the scale. Scales are and don't always cooperate. Instead, focus on building diet and exercise habits that will give you a good shot at maintaining the lose (and losing more) during the year.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There is no way to know for sure how much weight you can lose. It's something you don't have control over. What you DO have control over and is therefore what I think you should focus on is - staying on plan. Finding/developing a plan that you CAN stay with and are WILLING to stay with. Find great foods to eat that are healthy, delicious and enjoyable to you so that you will want to stick with it. LEarn how to tell yourself no and how to not overindulge. Learn about nutrition and what foods work for you and which ones don't. Devise some strategies on how to deal with boredom, stress, anger, social situations, etc. Work on incorporating exercise into your life. In other words, work on your plan - work on changing your lifestyle and gathering up healthy habits that will last you indefinitely - this way you WILL lose weight during the 7 weeks and you will continue to lose weight once college starts and you will keep it off.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/250/112

Height: 5'4.5

Hey I'm 19 too and going back to college in August! :O anyways the first week of a diet you should lose the most, say bout 5lbs if you don't cheat, then it should be between 1 and 2lbs a week from then so around 17lbs, depending on how many calories you consume and how many you work off.
candy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #10  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I think you should worry less about the weight and more about body composition. Try to lose inches and the weight will follow, weight lifting and slow cardio are great for changes our body shape. If you lose weight in the process its a bonus, no one wants to be "skinny fat." IMO the number on the scale never tells the whole story of how your muscles and organs feels on the inside.

Heres a link that is a visual representation of how I've changed my body composition and lost weight in the process.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

What about just eating right and being active for the next 7 weeks, and what you lose you lose. Don't try and put a number on it. Like I want to lose X by this time. It makes things harder on yourself, IMO. If you do the best you can, whatever you lose will be a success.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

[QUOTE=koceank29;3361124]I think you should worry less about the weight and more about body composition. Try to lose inches and the weight will follow, weight lifting and slow cardio are great for changes our body shape. If you lose weight in the process its a bonus, no one wants to be "skinny fat." IMO the number on the scale never tells the whole story of how your muscles and organs feels on the inside.

Well for me, I focused on getting healthy and the single most healthy thing a person can do for themselves is to rid themselves of the excess FAT. So I do focus on losing the WEIGHT, the FAT and then the inches DID follow. Lots and lots of them! Of course I did exercise, but you can't exercise off all the excess fat. You just can't. It has to be COMBINED with a sensible, healthy eating plan.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-28-2010 at 10:00 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

So when did you start your plan? Did you start last week, last month? How much have you already lost? If you haven't started when do you plan to get this going? What kind of plan are you doing, how many calories, how much excercise? Or are you waiting until we tell you how much you can lose?

This is going to sound really depressing, but I have read post after posts just like yours. People want to lose a ton of weight in a short period of time, they think by some physic phenomenon that if some one tells them they could drop 20 pounds that they magically will. They post once or twice, realize to drop 20 pounds in 7 weeks is a **** of a lot of work, and it sucks, so they quit, and we never hear from them again. I'm not saying this will happen to you, I really hope you can succeed, but in order to succeed you can't be worried about how much, you need to be worried about making through the first day on a solid, healthy plan.

Good luck.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #14  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

[QUOTE=rockinrobin;3361278]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koceank29 View Post
I think you should worry less about the weight and more about body composition. Try to lose inches and the weight will follow, weight lifting and slow cardio are great for changes our body shape. If you lose weight in the process its a bonus, no one wants to be "skinny fat." IMO the number on the scale never tells the whole story of how your muscles and organs feels on the inside.

Well for me, I focused on getting healthy and the single most healthy thing a person can do for themselves is to rid themselves of the excess FAT. So I do focus on losing the WEIGHT, the FAT and then the inches DID follow. Lots and lots of them! Of course I did exercise, but you can't exercise off all the excess fat. You just can't. It has to be COMBINED with a sensible, healthy eating plan.
Not sure how my response turned into just exercise the fat away, the link and what I've used is a combination of nutrition and exercise. I completely agree it is both nutrition and movement that provide ultimate health.

Neveragainbabe: I'm sure you will find something that works for you, like others have said, don't try to push yourself in 7 wks to something unrealistic, concentrate on better eating if you haven't been and change up your exercise if you have been doing the same thing for a while. Good luck!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote