Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default So I finally looked at the scale...

...and it said 210 lbs. That's 10 lbs heavier than the last time I weighed myself, and it's a huge blow. Not only that but I'm away from home for the weekend visiting friends and I have much less control over what types of food I eat and what kind of exercise I can do.

I must have been deluding myself -- I did NOT think I was over 200lbs. Could I be retaining THAT much extra water on my period?

Anyway, I am completely discouraged and it feels totally impossible to make any progress whatsoever.

I would really like to make this work, but even losing 10 lbs feels like totally pointless and impossible.

I hope you guys are having better luck than me
Lilstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #2  

This is definitely NOT hopeless and you CAN do this.
First of all, every scale weighs differently, so that scale may show a different weight than your scale at home, secondly, you may be retaining some water due to TOM.
Don't despair, just look at this as your starting point, and it will all be downhill from here.... in a good way!
What kind of eating plan are you using? Even if you can't control the food and exercise while you are with friends, you can make healthy choices out of what's offered and try to get them to go for a walk, or do any kind of activity.
One thing that I've read on here, and I can't remember who posted it, but it always sticks with me, is A Year From Now, You'll Wish You Had Started Today. That is so incredibly true. You can't undo the past, but you can look at this as your beginning and move on from here. We're all here for you, and this is very doable. You are not alone!
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/196.6/180

Height: 5ft8.5

I gain about 8 pounds and as much as 12 if my sodium is up as well during my TOM! Give yourself a week of doing as you are supposed to and check again- you will likely be right back on track!

Remember, YOU DO have control over what (and how much) you choose to put into your mouth! All you can do is all you can do so just do the best you can

exudeyou.blogspot.com

Last edited by Hart; 06-26-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #4  

Thanks for the encouragement, guys, I really appreciate it

I think I had to face where I was really at, and now I've done it and I can take control and really work.

The plan I'm on right now is I am generally walking more (I live in NYC), making a point to do 20 minutes of cardio or 30 minutes of yoga 5 of 7 days a week, and eating a max of 1300 calories a day. At that rate I should lose just a little more than 2 lbs a week.

I am thinking of going to see a weight-loss doctor to help me get on track, but I'd like to do it on my own, if I can, by making healthy choices as opposed to using meal replacements or appetite suppressants, etc. What do you guys think? Should I seek medical assistance or should I stick to my own plan?

I'm also hesitant to do something like nutrisystem or another program where everything is planned out for me. I feel like I should learn how to eat real food and look at it like a lifestyle change.

Well, anyway, you're right -- it comes down to me. I do control over what I put in my mouth. But my best friend, whom I love, has been keeping my glass full of wine this weekend! I just need to say no, keep myself honest.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

First thing that came to mind was that you were weighing yourself on someone elses scale which may not be working correctly. TOM, different scale and probably weighing yourself later in the day all can make the scale numbers yucky. Don't give up, wait until you get home and your TOM has passed and then weigh yourself again.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It is NOT hopeless and it is NOT pointless. Not even a little bit. In fact it's quite hope-ful becauselosing weight and lots and lots of it IS a doable thing for every one and any one. Yourself included. You don't have to be fat if you don't want to be. It IS something you have the power over and you CAN control. We all have the capability to lose weight.

Supplements, pill, etc? Who needs um'? Make the decision to do this, once and for all, no matter what and permanently and there is nothing else needed. Make that decision, make that commitment, be WILLING to do what's necessary and than get out there and find the tools to MAKE it happen. Then stand back and be prepared to be astonished and amazed with yourself and what you CAN accomplish and hold on tight as you transform your life, because the benefits are beyond compare.

Devise yourself a healthy eating eating plan. MAP OUT YOUR FOOD IN ADVANCE. Plan, plan and then plan some more. Eating healthy, adhering to a healthy lifestyle won't happen on it's own. You can't wing it, you can't leave it to chance. YOU HAVE TO PLAN FOR IT. Realize that it is worthy of the time, energy, effort and dedication that you will put forth. Stop settling for a mediocre, second quality way of living - first best is yours for the taking.

You did mention a weight loss doctor, if you're having difficulty finding a healthy food plan, perhaps you'd consider going to see a nutritionist or a dietitian - they can guide you as to what foods to eat - and what foods not to eat.

Quote:
I hope you guys are having better luck than me
Hmmm, luck - well for any of us that have lost weight, I can tell you that it had NOTHING to do with luck. NOTHING. Which is a good thing. You don't need to rely on it. You need to rely and count on yourself. You need to MAKE it happen. Stop making excuses and start making solutions. It's not like the lottery where one in a million trillion people actually win something. You need to MAKE your OWN luck through your hard work, thought, planning, dedication, conviction, perseverance, determination and a continuous, conscientious effort.

I urge you not to dread the changes that are needed to make this happen, but to get excited about them and look forward to them. Eating well, being in control of your food, being slim is a wonderful way to live, there is no hardship involved, it's nothing to loathe. In fact, if you ask me the hardest thing, the thing that I loathed the most was staying fat.

Make that decision, make that commitment and never fear the scale (or socializing, clothes shopping, bathing suits, the mirror, doctors visits, narrow seats, etc) again!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 306/196.6/180

Height: 5ft8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilstarrs View Post

I'm also hesitant to do something like nutrisystem or another program where everything is planned out for me. I feel like I should learn how to eat real food and look at it like a lifestyle change.
I SO agree! These programs may help you lose weight but they won't teach you how to be healthy FOREVER because they hold all the knowledge and control! I really do think it is best to be solely responsible and accountable. It may take longer but it will last!
Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #8  

I understand EXACTLY how you feel. But if you deem it hopeless now, the next time you come face to face with the scale, you'll be even heavier and wishing that you had started with this weight. And look at all the people who've lost 100+ pounds! If they can do it, so can you!
Luna1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #9  

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom -- I DO want to commit to this so that the next time I face the scale I'm not so devastated.

Also, I weighed myself on another scale this morning and it was 204, and that somehow felt less awful. But two weeks from now I will be out of the 200's forever, and once I'm there, I really think the motivation to keep going will have stuck.

Thanks again!