Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Unhappy Slowed weight loss= motivation killer

So i was losing about a pound a day when i first started about 3 weeks ago. now its been 2 days and i havent lost any. I guess im going to go to the 1-3 pounds a week. Which is good but a total motivation killer. I still go to the gym everyday but i notice im not AS careful with what i eat. I stay in my calorie range but just not as good. What do i do??
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #2  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

What you were losing may have been excess carbs, sodium, and water. That tends to drop off at the beginning. Granted, weight is weight, but fat is a lot harder to burn. You say you've been exercising as well; you could be building muscle -- muscle is heavier than fat.
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I feel your pain... I haven't lost (insert bad word here) in about 2 months. I think what I eat is healthy and I don't think what I eat should be enough to keep me at 212/215 lbs.

I am thinking that I may (~sigh~) have to go back to really writing everything down and tracking calories. I know there are calories sneaking in somewhere.

Also, most people lose rapidly when the first start. Then after a week or so, things taper off. I have been trying to focus on other things - Like how good I feel eating all my veggies. How I have actually been enjoying working out. (I took Zumba the other day - that was fun!)

Try to eat more veggies. The nutritionist told me veggies (ie. fiber) are great for weight loss.

ALSO - take some measurements. Often when I don't see a difference in the scale, I still lose some inches and that makes me feel good and stay motivated.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

I write everything down. and yes ive been working out every day
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I know it must have been very motivating to lose one pound each day, but this wouldn't be very realistic to keep up as you continue on towards your goal. I think losing 1-3 lbs each week would be great!

Even though you mention that you're staying within your calorie range, the type of calories you are eating might be affecting you. Processed and frozen foods have a lot of sodium and that could be affecting you.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Ya just gotta grit your teeth and trudge ahead. Through my whole diet, I only lost 1lb a week at 1500 cal a day, for three months. That was motivating enough for me when I kept track of it on my LoseIt graph and saw that it was at least continually going down. Try graphing and see if the downward line will give you that gratification too, without having to know the details of how much it is going down.

(I only have a cheap IKEA scale that measures in kilos (2.2lb), so no change would even register until I had lost two pounds, so every two weeks at minimum was when I could put in a different number. I work in a country where weight loss is not a priority, so it is not easy to find bathroom scales.)

If you can stand it, try not weighing yourself so often. Like once a week at minimum. Or keep track of your progress in some additional thing, like how much you can lift at the gym or how many pushups you can do. Heck, give yourself a gold star for every pushups set. Maybe that's what I need to do ...
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #7  
Bear Down..Lost 38 in '10

S/C/G: 260.0/219.4/113.0

Height: 5'

Also, you may need a break from working out everyday. So many factors. I started my journey on April 22nd and I'm down 18.4...but for a week in there I just kept between 246 and 244 then all of a sudden I drank more water, ate some really great healthy fresh made meals and was walking more and whoosh I went down to 241.6 today. Just have to hang in there. Sometimes that silly scale just doesn't understand that we feel we need to see what we want. It's not the end all be all...you are and you are worth it! Keep on keeping on! You'll get there.
gottadoit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I feel your frustration. Seeing the scale move every day is a huge motivator. But remember, slow weight loss is actually better for you. 1-3lb a week is good. Keep the faith! Also, remember the differences in what you are eating and TOM. If you aren't being as careful, then, be more careful. Cut down on the carbs and on the salt. Those are generally things that can cause slower weight loss (for some people).

Make sure you are getting all your vitamins too. Calcium & Vit D can help with weight loss, and the B family can help with energy. And a deprivation in either of those can cause things to slow down a little bit.

Drink more water and get plenty of rest. If you are working out alot, make sure you are giving your body plenty of rest too.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
I know it must have been very motivating to lose one pound each day, but this wouldn't be very realistic to keep up as you continue on towards your goal. I think losing 1-3 lbs each week would be great!
1-3 pounds is fantastic! I lose that in a month IF am lucky! Don't get discouraged, it is almost impossible to lose 1 pound of real fat a day. Don't give up!!

Last edited by sotypical; 06-25-2010 at 01:53 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Remember that if you average 2 lbs a week, this day next year you will weigh 170 pounds and probably be a size 10/12.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
So i was losing about a pound a day when i first started about 3 weeks ago. now its been 2 days and i havent lost any. I guess im going to go to the 1-3 pounds a week. Which is good but a total motivation killer. I still go to the gym everyday but i notice im not AS careful with what i eat. I stay in my calorie range but just not as good. What do i do??
You keep moving forward. Weight loss has a lot of highs and lows (but nothing beats the highs). While it is easy to be motivated and excited at the early stages of weight loss when the weight is coming off fairly easily, a significant part of the journey is about how you handle the times when the weight is barely creeping off, the weight is not creeping off at all, you fall off of the wagon, etc. Weight loss is not easy. In fact, sometimes it is incredibly hard.

I think a lot of people here will tell you that motivation for losing weight will come and go, so you better not count on motivation to get through the whole journey. What is important is that you stay committed to losing weight, even when you are discouraged. You just have to stay with it and you will see the results you want. And, when you see them, you will be so glad you didn't give up when you got discouraged.

You can do this.

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #12  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

I love seeing the scale go down! But even when it doesn't or when I'm just feeling down about the fact I let myself get so freakin' fat I figure I have two choices - keep on keeping on or go back to where I was. And I sure as all get out don't want to go back there! I'm either losing weight or I'm maintaining till I start losing again but this is a one way street either way!

A year from now, no matter how slowly I lose, I'll be thinner and healthier than I am now. And I will have more than a year of new healthy eating (and exercising) habits I've learned and practiced. Some weeks I obviously need more practice than others....
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

The first month of my diet, I didn't weight myself very frequently. I just stuck it out and at the end of the month I had lost 16 pounds. Of course it slowed down. The second and third months I only lost around 10 pounds each. Now, I lose about 1.5 - 2 pounds a week because I'm closer to a healthy weight. Slowing down means good things.

This will probably be unpopular advice, but my doctor told me that I shouldn't work out until I'm fairly close to my goal since exercise stimulates hunger. I'm not saying be sedentary, definitely walk around as much as you can, but going to the gym and hitting it hardcore may be making you hungrier and getting you off course.

Also, have you considered South Beach (no carbs, no sugars, not even natural ones in fruit)? It is hard the first few days, but I think it is good for training your body to diet. You won't have to think about how much you are eating -- just what you eat. You can eat all you want, but it has to be within the rules. It also works fast for the first two weeks. Just a thought.
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote