Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262.6/ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up Successful first week!!

So, I have my first week done of working on becoming healthier. I was very excited and surprised to see that I am down 6 lbs!! I don't expect numbers like this all the time, but I will take it!! One thing I am noticing is a potential problem is outside influences! I seem to have no problem staying on track until I have my husband or other family members waving problem foods under my nose. How does everyone else deal with people tempting them with "not so healthy" foods?
AudreyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on 6lbs gone!! WTG! I find the best thing to do is to let people know you need support, and not to offer you those foods. If we're having a family dinner and I know foods that I don't normally eat are there, I will plan for them (I calorie count so there's some leeway there). To be honest though - I would definitely expect better support from my husband than trying to tempt me, maybe sit down and have a talk with him about what you need from him?
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/245.8/170

Height: 5'9"

Congrats on your loss!!

Definitely talk to your husband, & any other family/friend that you can & let them know that this is something you need their support & encouragement. Be firm in what you need from them! You can do this!!
mingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Awesome work!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Great Job! I don't have the family issue but I have co-workers who are always eating junk. In order for me to stay on plan, I usually look at the package and go OMG! Do you realize how much food I could have for the amount of calories in that candy bar? Then i proceed to name the amount of food I can have and by that point I'm over the temptation. They are used to me doing that so they don't get offended.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Terrific on the 6 pounds! A great first week for sure.

Now, I have to ask, does your husband actually wave food under your nose, as to say, (or does say), "Yummm, don't you wish you can eat this?" kind of thing? OR does he just simply eat his crap in front of you and say nothing? There really is a big difference. I know at the beginning, just watching people eat junk made me feel kind of "picked on", until I learned how awesome it felt not to eat the junk...then I started feeling sorry for them.

My husband still eats junk food, and in front of me sometimes, but doesn't taunt me with it. Actually the poor guy has become sort of a closet eater. But I have people in my life who actually do wave food under my nose, and try to make me crack. They suck, and I don't hang out with them much any more. My husband on the other hand was given a lecture way back at the very beginning...you either support me, or hit the street. If your husband is being a creep about this, you MUST talk with him, or you'll never make it.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-24-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Congratulations on a great first week!

Other people have definitely been a problem for me, especially at the beginning. You have to be firm (but polite) and refuse consistently. At first, I don't think that people really believed that I didn't want the junk. They had seen me give into temptation and fail so many times. Once I had been consistent for a while and they saw that I was really serious and committed this time, they were very supportive. Yeah, there were some exceptions but no one really close to me.

Hang in there, you can do it!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Audrey. Congratulations on such an awesome first week!

There will always be temptations in your way or people who aren't standing with you in this. This is not always a conscious thing. It's up to you to make them aware of your goals, aware of what they are doing to you and up to you to request their consideration and respect for you. But, keep in mind, that they may not always respond the way you hoped. Again, it will be up to you to push through and decide what you want more....the crappy food or to feel better and get rid of the fat!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I agree with all the good advice you have already recieved. Just stand up for yourself and remember, this is your body and you CAN control what goes in YOUR mouth.

Congrats on a great first week.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #10  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

WTG girl! Just say "No thank you." to the people tempting you! Eventually they will believe you!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #11  

Congrats on a great first week!
emilydreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #12  

Congrats! Great way to end the first week!

Temptation can be tough. If you can talk to the person/people about it, and let them know you are doing this and would appreciate a bit of support and no offers for junk food, definitely do it. If it's outside of that spectrum, it's all about good ol' fashioned willpower! Just say no! And IF you do slip up, don't beat yourself up. Just dust yourself off and keep doing what you're doing!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote