Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/248/150

Height: 5'4"ish

Default Does the excess sweating ever go away?

Hi all, I'm new here. I need a place to ask people all my neurotic dumb questions that others just don't get.

Back in HS and early college I weighed about 130-140. Problem here is....my memory sucks. My attention to detail sucks. So I can't recall if I had these sweating problems when I was that weight.

It doesn't take much at all for me to get sweaty on my head and face. Even just cooking dinner can do it. Or being rushed in the morning if our a/c isn't down to 65. Many minor things cause me to get really sweaty in a noticable place whereas others aren't. My upper lip....forehead...hairline/neck...it's horrible. It's embarassing being around others when I'm like this and they aren't. I've even tried a sensitive-skin clear gel anti-perspirant on my face and it didn't help.

Will this get better as I lose weight? Please say it will My doctors see no medical reason for it.
Lilly221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well many people agree that your thermostat changes if you lose a lot of weight. I'm often freezing and I definitely sweat less than I used to. It actually takes a pretty intense workout or extremely hot day w/activity to sweat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #3  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

I second nelie's statement-- in the past few months, I am ALWAYS COLD. However, because I take ADHD medication, I can't attest to the decreased sweating because that stuff makes me sweat a lot. One thing that's helped me, weirdly enough, is cornstarch. Just dusting a teeny tiny fine smattering of it everywhere that sweats. If you put just a little on your face over your makeup like you would a powder, it shouldn't be visible.

Edit: Sorry for just randomly popping in on this forum-- saw it on the front page.

Last edited by bama girl; 06-24-2010 at 03:37 PM.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #4  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

My sweating is alot better. I feeze alot now. When I exercise I sweat and thats about it and it's 100 here. Use to I would sweat in aircondioned rooms
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

I'm the same way, Lilly! I know when I'm thinner, I sweat a whole lot less...like, it has to be super hot with really high humidity for me to sweat without much exertion when I'm thin. But, I'm pretty far from thin right now, so I'm in the same boat. I'm looking forward to a more normal sweating habit! (That's a really strange sentence to write!! )
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, dear, you may not like this: I sweat more profusely than other people in the gym, which is noticeable in exercise classes, particularly after a spinning class, as I look like I've come through a rainstorm where some of the other women just look becomingly flushed & tousled.

But in day-to-day life, I am indeed much less sweaty, and in fact, get chilly more easily. I have that messed-up bodily thermostat one has after losing a large amount of weight.

Last edited by saef; 06-24-2010 at 04:54 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Thanks so much for asking this. I have the EXACT same problem as the OP. Face, hair. I am fine everywhere else, but anything makes me sweat. And I teach adults and it's sooooo embarrassing!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #8  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Height: 5'7

@Saef - I'm the same way after spin! My husband has actually made a comment like, "Oh, it must feel nice to splash yourself with water after a workout - I'll try that next time."
pokeycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Yeah I'm not sure how it really quantifies with the working out because I've been doing Crossfit and it is humid/hot and I am soaked with sweat but otherwise I rarely sweat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeycactus View Post
@Saef - I'm the same way after spin! My husband has actually made a comment like, "Oh, it must feel nice to splash yourself with water after a workout - I'll try that next time."
That's funny. Spin has that affect on me, too. Just soaking at the end of it!

I haven't lost that much yet, but I've noticed that I'm not nearly as affected by the heat anymore either. So hopefully, yes, it will get better for you.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, I'm another who sweats profusely during a workout now, whereas before I didn't sweat any more during a workout than I did during life. Apparently the body sweats better when it's more efficient which is good because it gets of toxins. That's when you're supposed to sweat though! LOL!

Now I do not sweat nearly as much as I used to during regular life and I'm enjoying outside activities this Summer far more than in years past. Humidity still gets to me, but dry heat does not. And we've adjusted our thermostat up 5 degrees!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/248/150

Height: 5'4"ish

Thanks for the input everyone! It's truly embarrassing to me how much my face and head gets sweaty, and how easily. I've been on ADD medication, too, and it doesn't seem to have made me any worse. Oddly for me, I start sweating when I STOP moving. Like my walk into work, which is .35 of a mile. A little uphill at the end. But I don't start sweating until I'm in the building waiting on the elevator. Even in the dead of winter, it's the same. 5 degrees out, and I have to start unwrapping the scarf and gloves and unzipping before I get in the building......the moment I'm in there, wham. Sweating. At least during summer I can kinda pass it off on the heat. But winter? Ugh.
Lilly221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #13  

Sweat-levels are usually genetic. Weight can definitely play a roll in it, though. My mom is quite skinny, and she sweats easily. My sister is a just a little overweight, and she sweats easily. I sweat profusely. All of my "insulation" makes it worse than it already should be, but genetically I don't think I will ever find myself cold while everyone else is warm.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly221 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! It's truly embarrassing to me how much my face and head gets sweaty, and how easily. I've been on ADD medication, too, and it doesn't seem to have made me any worse. Oddly for me, I start sweating when I STOP moving. Like my walk into work, which is .35 of a mile. A little uphill at the end. But I don't start sweating until I'm in the building waiting on the elevator. Even in the dead of winter, it's the same. 5 degrees out, and I have to start unwrapping the scarf and gloves and unzipping before I get in the building......the moment I'm in there, wham. Sweating. At least during summer I can kinda pass it off on the heat. But winter? Ugh.
I remember that feeling. It's like the breeze you were creating by walking was holding off the sweat and then it all has to come out when you stop. Maybe that has something to do with the efficiency I was talking about earlier. That doesn't happen to me anymore. You'll get there! Just one more notch in the book of reasons for doing this!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #15  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

My sweating got a lot better after I lost weight. I used to dread summer because my face was always tomato red!

Our temps have been in the upper 90's all week here and I'm finally comfortable outside.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote