General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #1  

Default help!

I am new to this forum.
1) Just started dieting (trying to count callories, eat 5-6 small meals a day) and feel always hungry. What to do?
2)Today I ate half of the bag of coconut marshmellows
Usually I don't eat marshmellows, but its so hard to resist coconut ones, because its so seldom that I see them in the stores.... How to fight that weakness?
redhotpepper2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/242/165

Height: 5'4

i must say the coconut marshmallows do sound yummy lol! ... I have found its best not to go any where near the sweets section... Also try an fill up on veges an fruits or even nuts... Oh an of course water
cocomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Hotpepper, what are your small meals like? (You might get more help if you post this in the calorie counting section).

As for the marshmallows - i went cold turkey off sugar back in February and that made a HUGE difference in my ability to withstand favorite treats. Now, four months later, I can occassionally have a special treat but it's always planned and never spur of the moment (and never something i buy in the store and bring home to eat only part of because I'm not ready for that kind of temptation yet).
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #4  

How much protein are you getting? Maybe you can give us an example of what your daily food plan looks like.

Never go shopping when you're hungry, that's a sure recipe for disaster! Try to keep nutritous snacks that you like, and that fit into your plan, on hand for those times when you feel weak.

If you absolutely can't resist, and you just have to have those marshmallows, count out one single portion and try to stop at that.

You definitely can do this, you just need to have a plan in place. I look forward to hearing more from you.
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #5  

thank you so much guys for your support!
I need to lose about 20 pounds. well, may be 10.
I have done it after I had my child (I used to just switch to whole grain bread instead of the white bread and, in a year, the weight was gone), but now its seems harder (I have been using whole grain bread for about six months and seems putting on the pounds).

Anyway, I just started a more rigorous diet but I am not really sure if I am doing it right.
So, here is my diet:
Morning:
one quater of a piece of whole wheat bread with cheese

Around 11.30-till 12 thirty or one pm I usually eat 3 pieces of cheese (110 cal each, 9 gram of fat each) and then I eat 4 or 5 candies (mini candies. I would say 4 or 5 of them would be a size of 2 snicker bars)

Then, around 4 pm I eat about 2-3 oz of meat and 2 medium carrots.

then , around nine pm I ate one cookie, one spoon of pie filling.

Thats it. yesterday I had a major fall out, in addition to all that I ate those marshmellows...
Today I had to leave my house for the evening so I constrained myself to 3 marshmellows. Funny thing is the more I eat those marshmellows the more I want them more....

Also, I am a college student, so I don't have very much money for food budget (Especially expensive items like meat and vegetables)
so, any ideas or your input would be great
Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpepper2010 View Post
Morning:

one quater of a piece of whole wheat bread with cheese
That isn't very much of a breakfast. You could eat the whole piece of bread and add an egg on top. Sometimes I scramble some onions and pepers into my eggs in the morning

Quote:
Around 11.30-till 12 thirty or one pm I usually eat 3 pieces of cheese (110 cal each, 9 gram of fat each) and then I eat 4 or 5 candies (mini candies. I would say 4 or 5 of them would be a size of 2 snicker bars)
This isn't a very nutritous lunch. No fruit or veggies. Cheese is very "Calorie dense" due to the fat content. I LOVE cheese and have found that Low Fat Cottage Cheese is a tasty snack.

Quote:
Then, around 4 pm I eat about 2-3 oz of meat and 2 medium carrots.
This isn't bad, but still a very small meal.

Quote:
then , around nine pm I ate one cookie, one spoon of pie filling.
This is nothing but empty calories and refined sugars. This is why you are hungry. Refined sugars aren't going to make you feel full. Whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc. will fill you up.

Quote:
Also, I am a college student, so I don't have very much money for food budget (Especially expensive items like meat and vegetables)
so, any ideas or your input would be great
I agree that meat can be expensive - but veggies are not. They go on sale at most grocery stores for just over $1 for a frozen bag. And no offense - but "junk" food tends to be more expensive than anything else in the grocery store. Instead of spending money on pie filling, cookies and marshmellows you could buy a lot of frozen veggies. Or some fresh fruit. Apples go on sale for $1 a pound.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #7  

Default help!

I was also much healthy when i was student but now I avoid from fat food i lost my weight. For looking smart you may use mostly Juices and try to use chicken soup instead of Chicken
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #8  

could you guys give me some ideas, please?
Because I get lost with all the recipies out there and callories counting.
Let's say I will eat small portions 5-6 times a day.

Breakfast: 1 cup of cooked oatmeal or one full piece of toast with ham and cheese

Lunch: piece of meat or ham with vegetables? or soup...

Dinner: I was skipping dinner for a few months and still not doing well in my weight. So, I am not sure what to eat for dinner. I guess, soup would be ok. What do you guys think?

Snack betweem breakfast and lunch: an apple or piece of cheese.

Would that diet work?

I have seen many recepies on this site, but I guess I just struggle to put everything together and implement into my life
Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/247/199

Height: 5'8

If I was you I would make sure my small meals are not full of sugar, and I would make sure that I was getting plenty filling fat and protein.
candoanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
could you guys give me some ideas, please?
Because I get lost with all the recipies out there and callories counting.
Let's say I will eat small portions 5-6 times a day.

Breakfast: 1 cup of cooked oatmeal or one full piece of toast with ham and cheese

Lunch: piece of meat or ham with vegetables? or soup...

Dinner: I was skipping dinner for a few months and still not doing well in my weight. So, I am not sure what to eat for dinner. I guess, soup would be ok. What do you guys think?

Snack betweem breakfast and lunch: an apple or piece of cheese.

Would that diet work?

I have seen many recepies on this site, but I guess I just struggle to put everything together and implement into my life
Breakfast: Oatmeal is a great breakfast. (whole wheat) toast with ham and cheese would be fine. I eat two eggs with a slice of american cheese on toast each morning. Some people like to do 1 whole egg and 1 or 2 egg whites. Toast with peanut butter and some fruit would work.

Lunch: meat and veggies is great. Load up on plenty of veggies. Sometimes I take leftovers from the dinner the night before for lunch.

Dinner: meat and veggies - chicken or shrimp or fish or pork or turkey are all great. You can make your own pizza's with whole wheat pitas and cheese and veggies.

Snacks: I do Low fat cottage cheese (1/2 Cup) with some fruit. Or a string cheese with some fruit. Or I count out my 10 chips and have a laughing cow cheese wedge. Chobani yogurt is awesome if you like yogart. It is thick, creamy, loaded with protein. You could do apple slices with 2 T of peanut butter.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Click on people's fitday links to see what they eat. And the various forums are full of ideas--the calorie counters forum has 400-calorie meals threads as stickies.

But you HAVE To stop the sweets. Sweets lead to blood sugar spikes and crashes, which make you hunger.

If you really want something like coconut marshmellows, buy the bag, open it, eat 3, and THROW THE REST AWAY. And if you read that and thought "I am not going to pay $3 for 3 marshmellows--well then, if it's not good enough to be worth $3, why is it good enough to be worth being fat for?
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #12  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 255.8/238.6/135

Height: 5'2"

Definitely limit your refined sugars and white grains.

Also be cautious if your having soup for two meals. Most that are low calorie/low fat can also contain absurd amounts of sodium, so that is something to definitely look at when your reading the nutritional information on an item.

I can give you an idea of different things I eat for different meals that fill me up very nicely, and the calories of them. Maybe you'll get some ideas

Breakfasts:
1) 1/2 cup Fibre 1 Honey cluster cereal, with 1 sliced banana and 1/2 cup 1% milk. = ~276 calories
2) 1/2 cup low calorie yogurt with 1/4 cup granola cereal = ~250 calories
3) 2 pieces chicken bacon, 1 large egg scrambled, 1 piece whole wheat toast with 1 tsp of margarine = ~267 Calories

Snacks:
1) One piece of fruit = Most fruit ranges from about 60-150 calories
2) Fibre 1 or Kashi granola bar if I'm on the run = ~150 calories
3) 1 serving of baby carrots with 2 tsp calorie wise dressing = ~75 calories
4) Mott's flavored unsweetened apple cup with a piece of fruit = ~150 calories

Lunches:
1) Small kaiser bun with a slice of cheese and black forest ham = ~300 calories

That is pretty much all I can think of that is filling for myself and doesn't require a recipe. All my dinners are usually cooked with multiple ingredients and then I use the leftovers for lunch the following day.

Definitely load up on the veggies though, If your hungry between your meals and just can't wait to get to the next, try grabbing a piece of fruit, a small serving of lower calorie yogurt, an unsweetened apple cup, or some veggies to snack on. Most of those things range around the 50-100 calorie mark and wont hurt too much if you really need to have something
diesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #13  

Just to say it again: cut out all the sugary things. You will feel horrible for a few days, but that will go away and you'll feel great and without cravings. And be careful with cereal and granola bars and stuff like that - some of them are full of sugar, too!

If meat and veggies are both expensive (I can't believe the veggies part, have you looked at the frozen section? They are just as good.) please eat less meat and more veggies! And try beans, chickpeas, lentils. They are really cheap, pack a bunch of protein and are very healthy!

Soups are great, probably the best food to make you feel full and satisfied while being healthy and low-calorie - if you make them yourself! It's really easy to make soups from frozen veggies, and that way you'll avoid all the sodium and artificial flavours.

Another question: how much and what do you drink?
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote