Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Day 5, struggling already...sigh

So, I got through the first 4 days, not problem. I started day 5 today "mindful eating" and I am feeling really panicked and uneasy. I specifically bought this book to address my night time eating habits which revolve around the TV so I know this step is helpful, I just didn't expect it to come so soon before I have really learned any coping skills.
I am not sure how to approach this issue. My whole meal time schedule revolves around eating while sitting in my recliner with my laptop and posting on 3fc and other online tasks. This is really my relaxing time and I do enjoy it. I am perfectly willing to give up the TV as it is usually background noise during the day but the thought of no longer having my laptop or the TV, is really overwhelming. Giving up eating during night time TV is kind of its own issue but both habits fall under the same category. I have issues with sitting at the kitchen table as I have back problems and I am not comfortable sitting there at all. I used to try sitting at the table and found I was in pain much of the time. If I do manage to sit at the table, the TV is going to be anyway because my children watch their shows as well. I know I probably can make these changes but it seems really overwhelming and I am not sure how to approach it. I never thought things would get this hard so fast, as my main issue is being tackled on the fifth day! The rest of the program seems like a cake walk compared to this. Any advice

P.S. If I manage to do the mindful eating for day five, am I expected to do it every day from now on or is this just a one time thing for now, i'm a little confused now

Last edited by sweetnlow28; 06-23-2010 at 03:54 PM.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Many folks go through this 'struggle' along the way. Later in the book, Dr. Beck talks about mindful eating and really concentrating on the food and not the distractions. She also said...that at some point, in our culture, eating with distractions (tv, etc) is pretty common place. So, it's something people might need to learn to do, eventually. That being said....if the table is not comfortable for eating and the soft comfy chair is, try turning off the TV and sit in the comfy chair to eat. I do that quite often. Or - if your family member won't turn off the tv then really concentrate on each bite. It was suggested to me to try 'timing' each bite to thirty seconds between each for a few days to really slow down and think about the food.

I hope someone else chimes in with their experiences too.

My DH will NOT eat at the table with the TV off - so I have had to adapt in different ways.

It might work! Don't give up. You CAN do this. Glad you posted.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-23-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

For me, day 5 is about eating slowly and mindfully. I rarely sit at the table because my "table" is a counter which isn't a convenient height. The TV is usually on because the only place to sit comfortably is on our couch which is located right in front of the TV.

I try to remember, "progress not perfection". When I started working through the days and got to day 5, I started timing my meals which really helped me to slow down. My interpretation was that it was important for me to acknowledge and really "taste" the food I was eating, thus making my meals more satisfying.

Baby steps....

*credit* for your willingness to try!

For me, mindful eating IS an everyday and every meal tool. I find that I am now able to taste and enjoy my meals amidst the greatest distractions.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-23-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #4  
I am worth it

Thanks for the help Sorry forthe whiny post LOL, I was just feeling a little overwhelmed, probably for nothing. So if I do this for a day, does that mean I need to make these changes every day or is this just a one time trial for now. I am a little confused on that.

I am going to try this day when the children at at school tomorrow and see how it goes

Last edited by sweetnlow28; 06-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Sweetnlow, my suggestion would be to try to take steps to eat slower and more mindful every day-wherever you are and whatever distractions are present. If your location is in your recliner, with the tv and laptop turned on,try to focus on your food and eat it slower than you are used to. I did at least two lunches where I sat at my counter w/o tv and had my meal. I was by myself and I read several articles from Prevention magazine...I remember since it wasn't too long ago.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-23-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #6  
I am worth it

I think that's something I can do I will be doing the eating with no distractions thing tomorrow but even now, I am making an effort to pay attention to the taste of each bite and put my fork down between bites. Thanks for the encouragement, I am sure with time and practice, things will seem easier
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Thumbs up One step at a time

I have a problem with eating in front of the TV too. Beck offers good advice in the third book (green) "The Complete Beck Diet for Life" - all the books say similar things but I find it useful to hear them in different ways. As you have said she advises that we eat slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite. If I was to wait until I perfected this skill I would still be stuck there too! She suggests the following:
  1. If not proficient you will need reminders (note on the fridge saying "Sit, Slow down, Enjoy")
  2. To eat more slowly, put down your utensils several times during each meal (I struggle with this)
  3. Make time
  4. In the beginning (note), eat without distractions - try (note) eating alone, turn off the TV, computer, phone - do this for 3 days in a row to become accustomed ...
  5. Add back in distractions when you're ready
You will find lots of ideas on the forum to help you through this - not whiny at all, LOL, but a part of the struggle for a lot of us
GosfordGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I have only rarely eaten without the distractions of TV or reading material and, even when I do sit down with no distractions, I choose moments when I can watch birds or interesting weather out the window! There are lots of helpful things in this book, so keep going even if this one doesn't click right away. You can succeed at losing weight even if you don't follow every piece of good advice you hear or read.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

My take on day 5: Eat Slowly and Mindfully is that you want to incorporate these strategies for the rest of your life.

You do not, however, need to perfect them in order to complete today's to-do list and move on to day 6. You're likely to find some of it a challenge for a while - at least I did. I still sometimes catch myself and remember to eat slowly.

Good luck - sounds to me like you're moving along.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #10  
I am worth it

Oh thank you so much for your insight . All of yous posts make me feel much better. I am glad I can move ahead and just try my best. The funny thing is that the distractions I have in place like my laptop, actually force me to slow down to eat because I need to put my fork or plate down to type or use my mouse and dinner tends to take much longer to eat. When I sit with no distractions, I am so dreadfully bored that I tend to rush through my food to get it over with . I am just getting ready to eat breakfast so at least for today, I will be putting down the computer...and staring at the wall. Oh the joys of day five LOL